Galveston weather concerns

Is this near the actual port at Galveston? I tried to figure it out via Google Maps and failed.

http://www.galveston.com/strandvideocam/

(Video has annoying ads, sorry.)

The Strand is one block from the Port.

We are 14 blocks south with all streets impassable. The closer to Seawall, the less standing water. It will drain once the monsoon stops!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was going to say that also. It's what they should do.

While on the face it's a good idea, the reality is that thousands won't be back in their homes for months. It would look far worse for them to say sure, come stay with us, and then have to kick people out into the street in a couple weeks.

Not defending RCI AT ALL, I think they've been abhorrent and despicable with how they've handled this, but I also think it would end up an even worse PR nightmare.

Tug (Curtis) lives in Katy near Cindy and he posted this yesterday morning: Then this morning, water is receding, wish we could see a follow up of Cindy's pic. Tug said his forecast is no rain for the next 5 days so that is good news.

5eb05b4bc6ed97ad1f1e4af0f5048b08.jpg

37eedf064cae083f3d83cd15d8fee8db.jpg

This is taken off Houston Transtar, so the angle is different but it's essentially the same location as yesterday's picture. We have major flooding near me because of Buffalo Bayou and the release of water from the reservoirs, and no one knows when that is going to improve. I'm also posting the current Transtar traffic map. Each raindrop represents a high water location.

On a positive note, even though it is still raining the rate has slowed down considerably. We have only had 6 1/2 inches of rain at my house in the last 24 hours. I never thought I would see the day when I would use the words "only" and "6 1/2 inches" in the same sentence![emoji15]

088ac9ab79e36883459706fc922dde92.jpg78f6a25d83500577c6e0f6bcf504c777.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How come we can always figure it out well before RCL can?

[What is going to happen in Galveston this Sunday I mean]

The Port Of Galveston being open [once it is and ...if... it is] is the smallest part of the issue.

The bigger issues:

How do people getting off the Liberty get out of Houston and how do new passengers get to Galveston?

We always use the Sam Houston Tollway to get to Galveston and it is now blocked by 18 feet+ of flood water at just one underpass...

Can you imagine the chaos if they refuse to cancel this Sunday's sailing? If they try it it will be a debacle.

Once the people get off the Galveston Island into Houston [if they can] we may see some of them on TV being rescued by the Cajun Navy after their cars float away.

But I'm sure the cruise for this Sunday is still scheduled and Good to Go. :(

The Port Of Galveston being open [once it is and ...if... it is] is the smallest part of the issue.

The bigger issues:

How do people getting off the Liberty get out of Houston and how do new passengers get to Galveston?

We always use the Sam Houston Tollway to get to Galveston and it is now blocked by 18 feet+ of flood water at just one underpass...

Can you imagine the chaos if they refuse to cancel this Sunday's sailing? If they try it it will be a debacle.

Once the people get off the Galveston Island into Houston [if they can] we may see some of them on TV being rescued by the Cajun Navy after their cars float away.

Well, Carnival hasn't made a call yet on Sat or Sunday cruises either....and since they are the professionals now (amazing how things change) lets see what they do. If last week is any evidence, they will lead by example.

Until you know what the cruise lines are going to do, your advise could just get people into more trouble.

Carnival may more the ships to New Orleans on a temporary basis. Royal Caribbean may move the Liberty OTS to Miami temporally. If the cruise lines do this, then most likely the cruise lines will cover the cost of changing the flights. But if the cruise is going forward from another post, the insurance will not reimburse you for the cruise fare unless you can show that you are unable to get to the new port.

If you don't have cancel for any reason insurance, then your insurance may also cover the cost of changing the flight.

If you have cancel for any reason insurance through the cruise line, all you will get is a credit toward another cruise.

If you have cancel for any reason insurance from an insurance company, there is a 25% deductible.

So you should not take any action until you know what the cruise line is going to do. I do not believe that they will just have their ships bobbing around in the ocean until the port of Galveston is up and running again.

If room at the new port is tight, then they might move the Saturday to Saturday cruises to Friday to Friday and the Sunday to Sunday cruises to Monday to Monday.

It was advice as to what I would do. Based on the latest weather and also impact reports from the region...it's clear it will take quite some time for this devastated area to recover.

Hotels and airports will be ipacted for some time, and obviously roads. Just getting to and from the region, let alone moving around to get to any port will be a challenge for a while. Then there are those very unfortunate people who not only live there...but work at the airport, hotels, and ports. Forecasting how they will be adapting to the horrible conditions there is virtually impossible.

Everyone will have to make their own decisions on how to plan ahead over the next 30 days or so in terms of anyone having a cruise scheduled. Some may wait to adjust, some may not. It may all work out, it may not. But there is no certainty, and likely won't be for at least some time. That's the whole point.

We are scheduled (with a group of 11) on the September 24 sailing. Only thing to do at this point is see how it all plays out.

Sure hope that works out for your group.

That would not only help your plans, but mean that things have improved enough in the next 3 weeks or so for some operations to be semi-normal again. Best wishes and good luck!

Wonder if this might affect re-supply of cruise ships in Galveston...

anyone think so? Besides me?

This is from a private school in San Antonio.

............................................................................................

"Good Morning Parents!

On behalf of our Culinary Services Department, we would like to pass to you vital information concerning the Breakfast and Lunch Menus. Unfortunately, the recent floods in Houston have affected many of the suppliers our school utilizes for meal preparation. According to our suppliers, many companies have shut down production or delivery until further notice. This unforeseen change will have an impact on several items used here at school. Therefore, we appreciate in advance, your understanding and patience as we work diligently to find other items comparable for your child’s nutritional needs. We will do our best to communicate any menu changes as soon as possible so you can plan accordingly.Be assured, we will continue to serve them with excellence and keep you abreast immediately of any menu changes impacted by this event.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding during this rough time for our fellow Texans and Great State.

Sincerely,

XYZ Private School"

Edited by tankerat
minor corrections.

The bigger issues:

Hopefully their heads are not that thick.

Conditions have changed in Galveston.

Harborside Drive (which goes to the Cruise Port) is closed due to high water. Most of Broadway, the street that leads to I45, is closed due to high water.

Many other streets in the East end of the city are flooded.

Galveston residents who have left for the mainland are being told not to return to the island at this time.

Source of the above info:

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=538

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=543

So...based on past performance:

1.Carnival will make a decision about their Sep. 2 (Saturday) sailing between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

2. Their Sep. 3 sailing will be decided upon either at the same time, or by Thursday at 6:30 pm.

3. RCI will decide upon their Sunday Sep. 3 sailing at 9:30 am Sunday morning. After telling everyone the port will be open, and you better be there or lose your fare, by golly.

RCI will send out a mass tweet asking folks to provide photographic evidence they cannot proceed to the port because otherwise there's no way for Royal to tell what is occurring on the ground with this poorly covered event.

Wonder if this might affect re-supply of cruise ships in Galveston...

anyone think so? Besides me?

This is from a private school in San Antonio.

............................................................................................

"Good Morning Parents!

On behalf of our Culinary Services Department, we would like to pass to you vital information concerning the Breakfast and Lunch Menus. Unfortunately, the recent floods in Houston have affected many of the suppliers our school utilizes for meal preparation. According to our suppliers, many companies have shut down production or delivery until further notice. This unforeseen change will have an impact on several items used here at school. Therefore, we appreciate in advance, your understanding and patience as we work diligently to find other items comparable for your child’s nutritional needs. We will do our best to communicate any menu changes as soon as possible so you can plan accordingly.Be assured, we will continue to serve them with excellence and keep you abreast immediately of any menu changes impacted by this event.

Thank you again for your patience and understanding during this rough time for our fellow Texans and Great State.

Sincerely,

XYZ Private School"

Heck...my husband works in purchasing for a hospital here in Upstate NY and he is scrambling to get items in from companies that are effected down in Texas or to find alternatives. Supply chains in general are going to be a cluster for at least a little while and it will be interesting to watch how all of this is handled.

So...based on past performance:

1.Carnival will make a decision about their Sep. 2 (Saturday) sailing between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

2. Their Sep. 3 sailing will be decided upon either at the same time, or by Thursday at 6:30 pm.

3. RCI will decide upon their Sunday Sep. 3 sailing at 9:30 am Sunday morning. After telling everyone the port will be open, and you better be there or lose your fare, by golly.

You forgot #4

Shortly after #3, there will be another round of threads predicting the sky is falling and then blasting & blaming everyone else in the world (except themselves of course) for at least one part in making it all happen...

Conditions have changed in Galveston.

Harborside Drive (which goes to the Cruise Port) is closed due to high water. Most of Broadway, the street that leads to I45, is closed due to high water.

Many other streets in the East end of the city are flooded.

Galveston residents who have left for the mainland are being told not to return to the island at this time.

Source of the above info:

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=538

http://www.galvestontx.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=543

Thank you very much for that very useful documented information.

Of course it's not notarized, so a few folks will still question it...but most of us will accept it graciously.

Another thread said Carnival has just canceled this weekend's Galveston cruises. [i expect that is true and sources confirming will soon be available.]

RCL may do that unless they want to sail back across the Gulf again toward a closed port that is as I type getting hit with a lot of rain [and Harborside Drive is now flooded and closed.]

There will be issues with suppliers being down and out for a while. Traffic in Houston will be heavily impacted for days. Many routes are closed and will be for quite a while. Then there are the closed airports.

But RCL Chief Meteorologist James Van Fleet probably sees a "window" for a turnaround as he did last week. [Except that window was never actually open...just like the Port of Galveston was never open]