re meat pies

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

This is the Gazpacho recipe I use. It's from a cookbook, Loukie's Kitchen, by Loukie Werle. 

My extra fancy twist for special occasions is to put a small pile of crabmeat in the middle of each bowl, then pour the chilled soup around the crab at the table. Very MasterCheffy! 🤣

20220608_112735.thumb.jpg.37dadb8b2939bc5e4fe9306e90abe75a.jpg 

20220608_112755.thumb.jpg.31f2dbfbcb21948c1cdcffb5b6c41d3d.jpg

This would be exquisite in summer.  I've marked the calendar😋

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Few pastry chefs can get the gf pastry rate. In the past 11 years since coeliac hit me, I have tried many.  No bakery in Batemans Bay has gf pies. Sad that.☹️ That is why I have buy the frozen ones, or travel 45 minutes to Haydens Pies @ Ulladulla and get a few. They are good but pricey.

th.jpg.bfde842d9d2e938da849c9e0755eb9d8.jpg

I can't believe no-one in The Bay supplies gf pies, Les.  That's a shame.  Have you asked Batehaven Bakery if they's make some?  A friend and her husband travel regularly to Robertson Pie Shop, in the Southern Highlands, for what they claim are the best pies in the country.  I haven't tried them, but she's so convincing it's tempting to hop in the car and bring some home for the freezer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mareblu said:

Sounds delicious, and just perfect for the cold winter we're enduring here in Canberra.  I must try your recipe.

You can take a shortcut and cook the lamb shanks for a couple of hours then add in the rest but I find it's less messy doing it in two stages plus I like to sweat out the veges for a bit rather than adding them raw.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Mareblu said:

I can't believe no-one in The Bay supplies gf pies, Les.  That's a shame.  Have you asked Batehaven Bakery if they's make some?  A friend and her husband travel regularly to Robertson Pie Shop, in the Southern Highlands, for what they claim are the best pies in the country.  I haven't tried them, but she's so convincing it's tempting to hop in the car and bring some home for the freezer.

Asked them years ago to bake gf bread and pies they won't, saying cross contamination and we might not sell it all. But then they have a couple of gf friands etc, so probably to lazy to bake other stuff.

Buying GF bread does not worry me, I get it from Aldi, Coles/Woollies for $4 or $4.50 and stick it in the freezer.  Batemans Bay is in a bit of a time warp in my opinion.  No late night venues for the young folk, a retirement complex in middle of town shut down the pub music, etc, etc. Most club/pub/Restaurant kitchens shut down at 8pm or earlier.  Not been to Robertson Pie shop since the 1980's, always good but I was not coeliac diagnosed then.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, possum52 said:

I made beef, vegetable and barley last week Julie. I buy soup bones from Woolworths which always seem to have lots of meat on them and not too fatty. 

Thank you Leigh and Julie, I've just made my first beef and vegetable soup and it is delicious.  The soup bones, which I bought from Woolworths, had lots go meat on them as you said!

• Like 3

On 6/8/2022 at 5:10 PM, Mareblu said:

A friend and her husband travel regularly to Robertson Pie Shop, in the Southern Highlands, for what they claim are the best pies in the country.  I haven't tried them, but she's so convincing it's tempting to hop in the car and bring some home for the freezer.

Been there about five years ago and their pies were very good. We got a chicken pie and two types of beef pie along with a really delicious cherry pie. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thank you Leigh and Julie, I've just made my first beef and vegetable soup and it is delicious.  The soup bones, which I bought from Woolworths, had lots go meat on them as you said!

Glad it worked well for you Marion.

17 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Enjoy!

I rarely use recipes for soup, I just look at what I have in my fridge, freezer and pantry and create something from that. I usually have a supply of home made chicken and beef stocks, tinned tomatoes and bottled passata, basic veges, tinned beans of various types and so on so there is usually the makings of some sort of soup when I'm in the mood to cook. If I plan ahead I make big batches so I can freeze some for later.

• Like 3

Enjoy!

I rarely use recipes soup, I just look at what I have in my fridge, freezer and pantry and create something from that. I usually have a supply of home made chicken and beef stocks, tinned tomatoes and bottled passata, basic veges, tinned beans of various types and so on so there is usually the makings of some sort of soup when I'm in the mood to cook. If I plan ahead I make big batches so I can freeze some for later.

I always use recipe books, as I have a huge collection.  However, I use the base recipe as a suggestion and add what I have in the fridge or cupboard at the time.  I shop at markets and have an idea what I'm going to cook with my fresh purchases.  

It is such a joy cooking in winter.  When it is hot and humid in a Qld. summer, you just to pull the ingredients together, with a cold drink. 

36 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I always use recipe books, as I have a huge collection.  However, I use the base recipe as a suggestion and add what I have in the fridge or cupboard at the time.  I shop at markets and have an idea what I'm going to cook with my fresh purchases.  

It is such a joy cooking in winter.  When it is hot and humid in a Qld. summer, you just to pull the ingredients together, with a cold drink. 

I have a huge collection of recipe books too and I do use recipes for some things, but not often for soups or stews. I've been making a few of RecipeTinEats recipes over the last year or so, and Adam Liaw's recipes taught me a lot about Asian cooking, especially wok cooking.

But I'm bored with cooking! I need a cruise or two or three ... Luckily I have plenty booked.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Been there about five years ago and their pies were very good. We got a chicken pie and two types of beef pie along with a really delicious cherry pie. 

Used to call in to ye olde Robertson pie shop in the 70’s, when working at Wollongong, used to patrol the Illawarra Hwy, Albion Park to Robertson, top of the escarpment on my motorcycle, a hot pie was well received in the winter months.

th.jpg.c033e3e40df80f3ee1d56c446c697342.jpg

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I have a huge collection of recipe books too and I do use recipes for some things, but not often for soups or stews. I've been making a few of RecipeTinEats recipes over the last year or so, and Adam Liaw's recipes taught me a lot about Asian cooking, especially wok cooking.

But I'm bored with cooking! I need a cruise or two or three ... Luckily I have plenty booked.

I like Recipe Tin Eats and Adam Liaw also.  When is your first cruise?

58 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Oh that is close.  Bon Voyage!

Yes, it is close but we have a lot to get through before then. Our much loved 12yo cat is currently in the pet hospital with severe kidney issues. 😪 We're finding it hard to get ourselves organised for the cruise because of that.

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

Used to call in to ye olde Robertson pie shop in the 70’s, when working at Wollongong, used to patrol the Illawarra Hwy, Albion Park to Robertson, top of the escarpment on my motorcycle, a hot pie was well received in the winter months.

th.jpg.c033e3e40df80f3ee1d56c446c697342.jpg

If you patrolled the Hume Highway, you would have met my husband🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, it is close but we have a lot to get through before then. Our much loved 12yo cat is currently in the pet hospital with severe kidney issues. 😪 We're finding it hard to get ourselves organised for the cruise because of that.

Oh Julie, sorry to hear that.  We lost our beloved Miki, a Turkish Van, in 2023.  Would dearly love to replace him, but it’s difficult to travel for extensive periods.  I miss him.  At the other end of the scale, before Miki, we had Becky, a huge Old English Sheepdog.  Still miss her too.  Loving pets is bitter sweet.

I'm sorry to hear that.  

11 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Oh Julie, sorry to hear that.  We lost our beloved Miki, a Turkish Van, in 2023.  Would dearly love to replace him, but it’s difficult to travel for extensive periods.  I miss him.  At the other end of the scale, before Miki, we had Becky, a huge Old English Sheepdog.  Still miss her too.  Loving pets is bitter sweet.

My eldest Grandaughter  the NQ Mobile Vet in Townsville puts down a couple of domestic animals a day, mostly cats and dogs.  She says many of the owners are traumatised and need counselling.

I have had cats, dogs and birds, no more.

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Was he driving the big rigs on Sesame Street or a Boy Racer, lol.

Neither 😆 but always appreciated fine machinery.  Skilled driver, but never silly.  Can't believe how measured and on or below the limit his driving is now.  Probably all the bruises on his leg from the front seat passenger.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My eldest Grandaughter  the NQ Mobile Vet in Townsville puts down a couple of domestic animals a day, mostly cats and dogs.  She says many of the owners are traumatised and need counselling.

She sounds caring and professional.  You must be very proud of her.  I would love another cat, but I would have to engage a divorce lawyer first lol.  He's shared my trauma at losing pets and doesn't want to go through that again.  Understandable.  Our kids have dogs, so we often puppysit.  Almost as good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mareblu said:

She sounds caring and professional.  You must be very proud of her.  I would love another cat, but I would have to engage a divorce lawyer first lol.  He's shared my trauma at losing pets and doesn't want to go through that again.  Understandable.  Our kids have dogs, so we often puppysit.  Almost as good.

Yep, I have 3 grand dogs now, one in Moruya, one in Townsvegas and one in Riverview (Lane Cove, Steak and Kidney.) Not forgetting two grand cats.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, NSWP said:

Yep, I have 3 grand dogs now, one in Moruya, one in Townsvegas and one in Riverview (Lane Cove, Steak and Kidney.) Not forgetting two grand cats.

Ok, photos….the  Setter, my grandaughter’s in Townsville, the irish wolfhound my daughter’s in Moruya. The Lab of 14 yrs, my vet grandaughter’s had to be put down a few months ago by my grandaughter, very crook. The lab, bindi was my favourite.

7AE97558-F6D9-4215-9253-20CE19D0F283.jpeg

68D2EA45-23FF-4EAD-B533-5364ADEB2887.jpeg

69BC2D92-ADD2-45B4-B6E5-42E93B69E7C0.png

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, NSWP said:

It's very hard having to make that decision. 

Niki looked a bit perkier today but his kidney readings are still very bad. We are psyching ourselves up to the reality that we might have to make that hard decision within the next week. We hope to have him home for a few days first, so he can enjoy doing some of his favourite things - he really hates being in hospital judging by the way he acted today.

• Like 2