Help picking new cruise line

smc0320

We've been on 7 Carnival cruises. All have been great, no really big complaints.....except lines. So tired of standing in line for everything.

So we're looking at Celebrity, Princess, HAL and maybe Norwegian.

We would like something a bit more upscale, newer ships, and good kids club for our 7 & 8 year old boys. This will be their 1st cruise with us.

We enjoy western Caribbean, but really want to get back to Aruba on the next one. And we like the after thanksgiving to Christmas time frame, but would consider January or February too.

Any feedback on what you've liked that is different/better than carnival?

I like the "retreat" idea with private cabanas on HAL. Anyone else have something similar?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't forget Royal Caribbean (RCCL). They have a great children's program and the newer ships have a kid's water park you can't believe. There are shallow hot tubs and pools with falling water and it is huge!

The also have the Flown Rider ( surfing on land) which is fun to watch if you don't do it. The climbing wall is also fun to watch.

Check out RCCL!

(Holland America is known for a lot of older passengers, Celebrity doesn't have many kids at all.)

We enjoy western Caribbean, but really want to get back to Aruba on the next one.

Don't be put off by the mega ships, Oasis, Allure, Harmony, are huge and handle crowds very well because of their size.

Which one goes to Aruba?

Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean. You would find more for the kids on RC. Don't be put off by the mega ships, Oasis, Allure, Harmony, are huge and handle crowds very well because of their size. Voyageur and Freedom class of ships would also have lots for a family.

I did consider RCCL but I've heard horrible stories of lines for food, and I'm not making reservations for shows.

The Navigator and Serenade of the Sea's does the ABC Islands.

I will check them out. My fiends who only cruise RCCL have endured "okay" lines and wait times on Liberty OTS and Freedom OTS, but when they got to Oasis and Allure they said it was unbearable. Maybe the smaller, older ships will be better.

We love the freestyle cruising Norwegian offers. It's do what you want when you want. No set dining times no set show times. Great areas for the kids too

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

Any favorite ships? Have you experienced "The Haven" or seen it?

We had a great time of Freedom Of the Seas. Only lines we ever waited in were to get on or off the ship, and for the Flowrider/Rock wall. Never waited in a line at Windjammer and maybe only one or two people ahead of us at Promenade Cafe or Sorrentos.

I did consider RCCL but I've heard horrible stories of lines for food, and I'm not making reservations for shows.

You only have to make reservations for shows on the mega ships, such as Oasis. Even then you can usually show up and get in. Venues are open to everyone 10 minutes before shows begin, so usually the "best" seats may be taken.

Never had a problem waiting in line for food. Main buffet can be crowded at peak times, but people often don't consider other locations (several free options), such as MDR for breakfast and lunch.

Cruised on the Navigator to Aruba, Belieze, Curaçao and Laadee in March of this year. It was a really good cruise.

• 5 weeks later...

If you want something a bit more upscale without going into the "luxury" class IE: Seaborn/Oceana/Crystal, look at Celebrity and HAL. If you prefer "anytime dining" they both have it. While NCL pretty much only has anytime, which they call "freestyle" the dining experience in thier MDR is not on the level of HAL or "X".

I think the food is very good, no problem at all. But food is subjective. Making show reservations (only needed on the mega-ships) is quite easy, and don't online. Then you show up or not, without having to wait in line.