Feel safe on self walking tour in Old San Juan?

kribar

PR is very family friendly. You'll see locals with their kids enjoying the city if you're there on a weekend. If you want the pigeons to land and eat out of your hand, bring some uncooked rice - about a handful. A local father and his 2 sons showed me how to do it with their rice. We were in the plaza near Walgreens and Marshalls. Forgot the name. I told them abou but the fort tunnel tour and they got there before me. We had a blast!

One of my favorite things to do is explore Old San Juan. I took my preteen and teenage grandchildren (and their parents) on a walking tour last July. They fell in love with the city! I would caution that you take plenty of water- depending on when you go, it can be very hot.

Take them to one (or both ) forts and a walk along the wall to find the big Red Door. Have lunch in one of the beautiful sidewalk cafes.I can't wait to return in March!

• 2 weeks later...
My husband is a little concerned about walking around w/our small children. Did anyone feel unsafe there? Thanks for your help! ☺

I assume this question is now moot, unless the OP is traveling to OSJ well after power, infrastructure and law & order are restored.

I stay aware of my surroundings wherever we go. Tourist areas are always targets for thieves. The worst places we've been were Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas.

But in St Maarten last year we were on Back Street and my wife was a few yards ahead of me at a sidewalk sale. I spotted 2 guys watching her from the other side of the street. One of them hopped on a scooter while the other started to cross the street. I got to my wife, turned and stared at the one coming towards her and he turned around. Just be aware - more so after Irma and Maria.

My husband and I felt very safe in Old San Juan. The one area that I wouldn’t venture down to is La Perla, which on the way to El Morro . Last time we were there, we rented a condo, and the owner specifically advised us to avoid that area. That being said, when I saw La Perla, my instinct was to stay away, because it looked sketchy. You will be fine!! Enjoy your trip. 6403a8c516ffbd7bd14c83b58bc15da4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Seatbelt_Bag_LOVE

We always walk all over OSJ. The really unsafe areas are just outside the city walls of OSJ (La Perla area is one) and we wouldn't walk out there anyway. You do not have to go through La Perla to get to El Morro. There's always locals, police and other tourists around, even at night. Our first trip we did a guided walking tour, but ever since then we've just walked. That said, even La Perla is improving. Just be aware of your surroundings and if you're not comfortable walking down a street, don't. We've walked everywhere inside the wall with absolutely no issues.

How about strolling along past Paseo de la Princesa to Puerta deSan Juan? I've never seen anything negative about that area but my wife thinks she has. Being there (hopefully) for only 8 hours in March we thought that would be a nice walk then hit the cathedral and wander back toward the piers.

How about strolling along past Paseo de la Princesa to Puerta deSan Juan? I've never seen anything negative about that area but my wife thinks she has. Being there (hopefully) for only 8 hours in March we thought that would be a nice walk then hit the cathedral and wander back toward the piers.

What has she read and where and when did she read it?

That whole area is lovely (well, pre-hurricane...I assume there are fewer trees along the way now) and felt safe to us.

If you're going once things are more back to normal you'll be among other tourists and OSJ workers on their lunch breaks.

What has she read and where and when did she read it?

That whole area is lovely (well, pre-hurricane...I assume there are fewer trees along the way now) and felt safe to us.

If you're going once things are more back to normal you'll be among other tourists and OSJ workers on their lunch breaks.

She was a little, uhm, fuzzy on the details. Yeah, I can say fuzzy and not get in trouble. ;p