Don't Trust Family Members

DisneyDatknee

If money is not an issue...

at their AGE, why not just take the bull by the horns and GIFT the cruise? Make everyone happy, forgive, and just never do it again? Most likely, this will be the last cruise GM has with her sister. Ever. Hopefully, everyone makes it through the cruise with no medical issues. And taking away unnecessary stress on the blood pressure for all concerned? PRICELESS.

I'm with you spiritkat. I would do anything to have family and friends who are either no longer with us or physically unable to travel to go on another cruise. There's a lot of bitter people on these boards.

I would eat the loss and cancel them. I would be so ANGRY all through the cruise that canceling them would be my only option. People suck sometimes.

I wouldn't even be able to look at them for a year, much less in close quarters during a cruise! Too bad finding two different people who can pony up the moolah is not an option, that would teach them! I hate flakey people, whether I'm related to them or not. But there are MANY reasons I have *only* cruised solo :cool:

There are a LOT of problems here. OP, why can't you resolve this? Putting the details on a public forum isn't doing anything for you, since you aren't getting any definitive resolution.

I don't get it? You post YOU haven't been paid, despite attempts to collect. Your "Grandmother" states the ONLY resolution she wants is to let them go to the last minute to pay. You have GOT to be kidding??? The reasonable solution for this is to have YOUR grandmother- pay you. Why isn't she? You have 2 people who don't value you, and don't think anything of YOUR loss.

Those "forgive suggestions" are way off base, if they don't pitch in and cover, in my opinion.

You are being taken advantage of, only thing I see. It's up to only you, to determine if this continues- or not.

I'm with you spiritkat. I would do anything to have family and friends who are either no longer with us or physically unable to travel to go on another cruise. There's a lot of bitter people on these boards.
Bitter angry people who need to prove that they would never be a sucker . I have to fight with myself not to be one of them . :o Luckily I have a DDW (two dears) who lovingly reminds me to see the bigger picture .

Make Granny pay and suggest she doesn't value you ? :eek: Wow . Sad people .

Bitter angry people who need to prove that they would never be a sucker . I have to fight with myself not to be one of them . :o Luckily I have a DDW (two dears) who lovingly reminds me to see the bigger picture .

Make Granny pay and suggest she doesn't value you ? :eek: Wow . Sad people .

Personally I see it as having enough self-respect not to let yourself be taken advantage of, but hey. OP doesn't have to shun them forever...but they also don't have to reward them with a cruise after they were lied to.

A lot of people missed the point. They booked in the same cabin SO the deadbeats think it is okay to cancel...I cruise with family and after we decide where and when I call my PVP and book. The family books themselves with, cruise, air and insurance. If something happens, it's their loss. (they use the same PVP on Carnival)

I can say from experience they will be allowed to board. Because technically you don't have to spend any more money on board if you've already paid your fare and gratuities. They just won't be able to charge anything on their Sail & Sign account unless they add cash or card. Now if they haven't prepaid gratuities that may be different...

Since I don't prepay gratuities that is exactly what I was assuming for being denied boarding.

If money is not an issue...

at their AGE, why not just take the bull by the horns and GIFT the cruise? Make everyone happy, forgive, and just never do it again? Most likely, this will be the last cruise GM has with her sister. Ever. Hopefully, everyone makes it through the cruise with no medical issues. And taking away unnecessary stress on the blood pressure for all concerned? PRICELESS.

IMO, because you are allowing deadbeats to continue being deadbeats. To me, if that was an option that the OP was willing to accept this thread would not have been started. He may HAVE to accept it because of trying to please GM but he is not willing to accept it without ill will.

I haven't spoken to a family member in over 35 years because of this specific deadbeat and conniving way of controlling people. Nothing bitter about it.....in my mind I just don't have a brother that a birth certificate says I have. If you don't mind deadbeats controlling you, that's fine but I refuse to live my life that way. Don't call me bitter because of it because I simply don't think about him.

I do agree I would do almost anything to be able to do something with someone who is gone that I actually cared about but losing the deadbeat in my family will be just like some unknown person in Finland passing. I won't know nor will I care.

I haven't spoken to a family member in over 35 years because of this specific deadbeat and conniving way of controlling people. Nothing bitter about it.....in my mind I just don't have a brother that a birth certificate says I have. If you don't mind deadbeats controlling you, that's fine but I refuse to live my life that way. Don't call me bitter because of it because I simply don't think about him.

I do agree I would do almost anything to be able to do something with someone who is gone that I actually cared about but losing the deadbeat in my family will be just like some unknown person in Finland passing. I won't know nor will I care.

No you don't sound bitter . Not at all .:rolleyes:

I don't think it is bitter. Some of us just have a different perspective. Some of us have been so abused and taken advantage of by certain family members that the term "family" has no value when applied to them - it is merely a blood relation. True family need not be biologically related and is best reflected in those that love and support us not abuse and use us.

Many who label people bitter simply have been blessed not to understand what many have experienced. My "mother" was an abusive and neglectful woman who disowned me 3 years ago - it was the greatest sense of relief I have ever felt. My wonderful father has been gone 15 years in November. He was the best dad anyone could ask for. He never met my youngest son and never had a chance to cruise with us. I loved him dearly - but still wouldn't "do anything" to have him back. He is in a better place and I will share all my travel tales when we meet again. This is a reflection of true peace - one that sees beyond this world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I come from a dysfunctional family and totally agree. You don't choose who you are related to. Not all families are created equal. Not all families get along. It's just the way it is. If someone takes advantage of me in a serious way, blood related or not, I wouldn't hesitate to cut them out of my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I come from a dysfunctional family and totally agree. You don't choose who you are related to. Not all families are created equal. Not all families get along. It's just the way it is. If someone takes advantage of me in a serious way, blood related or not, I wouldn't hesitate to cut them out of my life.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Exactly. And 9 out of 10 times you will forever be blamed as the bad person, mean person, full of yourself person, whatever names the 'other(s)' wish to call you. Square your shoulders, hold your head up high and breathe that sigh of relief!

There is no amount of money worth losing a relationship over. It's not worth it. I love my family more than I love that $300. Nothing to get bitter and unforgiving over for a lifetime. If they can't afford to go they can't go but it's not worth holding over their head forever.

Weakness is not about being taken advantage of. Strength is how much grace you give someone when things don't go your way. Walk away with dignity and a joyful spirit and your relationships intact.

No you don't sound bitter . Not at all .:rolleyes:

Correct. Nothing to be bitter over. Used to be bitter when I let it bother me but those days are long gone. :D

Actually, the only thing that made me mad (at the time) was watching my sister and mother being doormats for my brother and not being able to do anything about it because I was stationed overseas at the time. When it finally hit me that they were adults and could spend their money how they want, it no longer bothered me. I just vowed I would never be the doormat they they were for sooooo long.

I hope peoples responses have had some cathartic value . I especially hope it works out for the OP .

Luckily for the OP it seems money isn't an issue so it will probably work out okay. The current unknown is how bad a taste will be left in the OP's mouth by this incident.

There is no amount of money worth losing a relationship over. It's not worth it. I love my family more than I love that $300. Nothing to get bitter and unforgiving over for a lifetime. If they can't afford to go they can't go but it's not worth holding over their head forever.

Weakness is not about being taken advantage of. Strength is how much grace you give someone when things don't go your way. Walk away with dignity and a joyful spirit and your relationships intact.

They told the OP they would pay them back and haven't as of yet. It's one thing if they don't have the money and are up front about it and the OP want's to gift it to them but that's not the case here.

So are you saying that a family member or friend could keep taking advantage of your goodness and you would be totally fine with that? The relationship would not suffer?

You teach people how to treat you.

OP is about to get scammed and you are telling him he should play along and walk away joyful and happy. Man, this is messed up.