Don't Trust Family Members

DisneyDatknee

So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.

Im sorry you are going through this. I get it. Im sitting one 1500 in festival seats family were supposed to pay me back for the end of July.Ive booked this big event for all of us the last 10 years with no problems. Everyone of these people has plenty of money and one brags about making almost half a million a year. Thankfully I will just sell their tickets and recoup some of my money and never do it again.

If I were you I personally cancel and enjoy your cruise. Yes its family and if they want to get mad because they dont get a free cruise out of you they are the jerks.

So GM talked to them today. Honestly, I would not be cruising if I had debt, but here's what the solution is. They will pay us back on the day of departure $700 including the gratuities. They will open a cash OBC account separate from ours. My great uncle is waiting on a large check from one of his contracting jobs-- still working at 80, so that's what they said is to blame for the delay.

Is this the solution I wanted? What if they don't have the money the day we leave? No. But this is the solution GM would only agree on.

But thank you for all the responses. We can always cancel them later as really, the majority of our refund would only be port taxes.

GM has decided not to cruise with them again and just make the best of it. I don't see them as deceitful people and my GM is very close to her sister, but I think it was just an impulsive decision as they once were very frequent cruisers. My great aunt worked for RCL and NCL and since they only live 10 minutes away from POM, they could go last-minute anytime. But times changed.

But anyways, the $145 OBC that came with our booking, we are keeping it ;p.

Is this the solution I wanted? What if they don't have the money the day we leave? No. But this is the solution GM would only agree on.

Respectfully, tell grandma to be at peace with the fact that your great aunt and uncle will probably show up without the cash. Also tell her to be at peace with the fact that the cruise will most likely be a gift from her to them. That way she'll be pleasantly surprised if they do have the money and she won't be as resentful for the entire cruise if they once again fail to meet their financial obligations.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will pay us back on the day of departure $700 including the gratuities.

Will they, though? Will they really?

I honestly hope so, but experience tells me to doubt it. Please update after the cruise!

So, we booked a cruise on the Victory for a quick getaway this month and paid extra for an Ocean Suite for my grandmother and I and our roommates, her sister and her husband. Well, we booked the cruise around 50 days before departure and were promised to be paid the next day. Well, it's been 4 weeks. If I cancel, I'd only get about $300 back for them. I'm just trying to weigh my options. I just don't want this to be an ill vacation where I have to stomach the fact that the lied and used us. It's not like they are going through hard times, they lied when they said they would pay me back. She just happened to tell us that she maxed out all her credit cards and has not had money for months!

Next time, we will require it up front. It's put my grandmother in an emotional situation. So yes, our fault, but it's just hurtful and deceitful. Money isn't a problem, it's the fact that they used us.

Lesson learned.

If they don't pay you, they don't go. Gives you more room. :D

Respectfully, tell grandma to be at peace with the fact that your great aunt and uncle will probably show up without the cash. Also tell her to be at peace with the fact that the cruise will most likely be a gift from her to them. That way she'll be pleasantly surprised if they do have the money and she won't be as resentful for the entire cruise if they once again fail to meet their financial obligations.

I agree with this. And I believe you need to have a plan to open an on board account for them - I don't know what the minimum they will take in cash to open one. I would predict that is your next issue.

So GM talked to them today. Honestly, I would not be cruising if I had debt, but here's what the solution is. They will pay us back on the day of departure $700 including the gratuities. They will open a cash OBC account separate from ours. My great uncle is waiting on a large check from one of his contracting jobs-- still working at 80, so that's what they said is to blame for the delay.

But thank you for all the responses. We can always cancel them later as really, the majority of our refund would only be port taxes.

GM has decided not to cruise with them again and just make the best of it. I don't see them as deceitful people and my GM is very close to her sister, but I think it was just an impulsive decision as they once were very frequent cruisers. My great aunt worked for RCL and NCL and since they only live 10 minutes away from POM, they could go last-minute anytime. But times changed.

But anyways, the $145 OBC that came with our booking, we are keeping it ;p.

IMO, GM doesn't have the right to agree or disagree with any solution unless she is going to foot the bill.

I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm planning to do a full trip report with my new Sony. :) I'll take a pic of the cash if it appears. I'm just not going to think about it anymore and hope for the best.

Best of luck to you and I hope you have an awesome cruise, whatever happens! :)

I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I sure hope they do pay you and you have a good cruise.

One of the hardest lessons I've learned is don't lend money to friends or family unless you're willing in your mind to give it as a gift and not expect it back. Because when you expect it back and it doesn't happen it can really cause some major damage. And when it's family it's harder to just shut people off completely.

With that said I have also invited my brother before on a cruise. But I knew he would not be able to afford it so I offered to pay for it, travel, and the any other expenses incurred up to the cruise including excursions. But I made it clear to him anything he wanted to do on board including drinking or souvenirs was on him. You can set up a separate sail & sign account for them as I did. They didn't even make my brother put down a card or cash on it at check-in. I did set all this up online ahead of time where he didn't have access to charge off my account.

I'll let you guys know what happens. I'm planning to do a full trip report with my new Sony. :) I'll take a pic of the cash if it appears. I'm just not going to think about it anymore and hope for the best.
Good for you . I have read the angry posts here and fully understand them but in the end anger and resentment only poisons oneself . Forgive but don't forget .And I know forgiving and putting it behind you is easier said then done . It certainly isn't easy for me .

You have more patience than I could ever dream of having. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

I'm sorry you are dealing with this and I sure hope they do pay you and you have a good cruise.

One of the hardest lessons I've learned is don't lend money to friends or family unless you're willing in your mind to give it as a gift and not expect it back. Because when you expect it back and it doesn't happen it can really cause some major damage. And when it's family it's harder to just shut people off completely.

With that said I have also invited my brother before on a cruise. But I knew he would not be able to afford it so I offered to pay for it, travel, and the any other expenses incurred up to the cruise including excursions. But I made it clear to him anything he wanted to do on board including drinking or souvenirs was on him. You can set up a separate sail & sign account for them as I did. They didn't even make my brother put down a card or cash on it at check-in. I did set all this up online ahead of time where he didn't have access to charge off my account.

Assuming your brother had a CC to give ahead of time as there is no way to put cash down ahead of time. I wonder what would happen if the extended family shows up with maxed out CCs and no cash? I would assume they would be denied boarding but I'm worried that they are then going to hit up the OP again to cover them for GM's sake. I would not want to be in OP's shoes (then again, I would have already canceled them so I wouldn't have to worry about it).

Assuming your brother had a CC to give ahead of time as there is no way to put cash down ahead of time. I wonder what would happen if the extended family shows up with maxed out CCs and no cash? I would assume they would be denied boarding but I'm worried that they are then going to hit up the OP again to cover them for GM's sake. I would not want to be in OP's shoes (then again, I would have already canceled them so I wouldn't have to worry about it).

I can say from experience they will be allowed to board. Because technically you don't have to spend any more money on board if you've already paid your fare and gratuities. They just won't be able to charge anything on their Sail & Sign account unless they add cash or card. Now if they haven't prepaid gratuities that may be different...

Why O why do people do this?

Make grown folks book their own cabin and DO NOT Share a cabin with them.

That way if stuff happens they're on their own and you're not affected.

But since it has happened, leave them at home and board cruise without them.

No way fall for the I'll have your money day of cruise! You are being hoodwinked.

Offer to pick them up if possible. Tell grams to stay in car. Go to door and ask for full payment in cash right then and there. If they don't give you cash in hand at pickup, leave them their.

Better yet ask friends and family if they would like to go and tell them you need pymt in full immediately. Tell aunt and uncle you sold their cabin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I would be willing to bet they will NOT come up with the money on departure day. They know you will just let them go on anyway when they don't show up with the money. That's why they picked that day.

Are you really willing to accept them doing that? Are you going to be willing to watch them buy drinks and other things on board, because I bet they come up with money for that stuff.

Tough situation with GM...but I would put my foot down and just let them know you don't have the money to pay their way and cancel them now...better than ruining your fun on the cruise. I know its only a partial refund, but I would run with it at this point.

If money is not an issue...

at their AGE, why not just take the bull by the horns and GIFT the cruise? Make everyone happy, forgive, and just never do it again? Most likely, this will be the last cruise GM has with her sister. Ever. Hopefully, everyone makes it through the cruise with no medical issues. And taking away unnecessary stress on the blood pressure for all concerned? PRICELESS.