Packing lunch for an excursion

This 100%. We live on an island that has been devastated by invasive species. While, it has been from cruise ships tourists certainly can (and do!) spread various species without meaning to by simply bringing unapproved items. Please respect the areas you are visiting. The laws are there for a reason and the local community needs to live there long after your vacation is over.

If you live on an Island all species are invasive. What you mean is our species that came first and did not have any predators and did not evolve any defenses are now devastated by the new wave of invasive species.

This thread is confusing. When it started it was about snacks, now people are arguing about picky eaters and waxing poetic about the 50's?

For the record, I grew up in the early 2000's and I have fond childhood memories too—baby boomers don't have a monopoly on nostalgia :V

I wonder if the poor to middle class before about 1950 ever heard of a child being a picky eater? Most people struggled with providing enough food for their families, and "picky eating" would have been a luxury that most parents would have never tolerated.

Preferences make sense, but picky eating starts when you begin to accommodate a person's likes/dislikes as a child. Modern day parents can do this without much impact because of refrigeration and the availability of a wide variety of processed food that can be easily prepared.

I'm a historian and the scene at the family table before 1940 where children refused to eat what the mother struggled to cook would be laughed at and viewed as horribly inaccurate. Pilgrim children (four hundred years ago) often stood at the table while the parents sat.

That said, there are some biological differences that make some foods hard to digest. Asians, for example, often have difficulties digesting dairy foods as they are raised without cheeses and cow's milk. This is changing, but new immigrants often have a lot of difficulty with this food.

This is just a theory, but do you think that perhaps babies were not exposed to as many flavors back then, so their taste buds didn't really get a chance to develop such likes and dislikes? I mean babies just got nursed and then would eat whatever their family ate. Just wondering out loud.

So true. If the kid doesn't like what is given to him/her let them go hungry. They will learn real quick who the boss is and they won't go hungry for long.

Being it's illegal I can't believe the parent gave into the kids demands.

Sorry that many people were upset by my honest response to the op's question. My picky eater was 2 years old at the time and decided to stop eating certain foods that we would all consider "Normal." He started vomiting up foods that he ate previously with no problems. His doctor said it was not an allergy but that it was probably a sensitivity to texture and he would eventually outgrow it. This was our first cruise with him and the only time I took food off the ship because I knew he would not eat anything in the ports and we had fairly long excursions. Ten years ago I certainly recall the "no"produce rules, but not "no" taking sandwiches or cookies off the ship. Especially not in Labadee, Cozumel, and Key West. In fact this may have been when they still offered to box up a lunch to take with you, but my son wouldn't have eaten that either. Fortunately my son outgrew his texture sensitivity when he was about 6. He is now 12 and has happily turned into an adventurous eater.

It would be nice if the cruise critic members could helpfully answer people's questions instead of attacking anyone who dares to respond to something controversial. I am not "cheap" or responsible for perpetuating picky eating habits in my child as several of you have felt the need to incorrectly assume. The non-judgmental responses to the question as far as certain foods be illegal, dogs sniffing,possible fines, and bringing prepackaged food are very helpful responses to CruisinSunBunny's question--as for the rest of you-- I've been a CC member for a long time and wish folks would remember why these forums are here...to help out fellow cruisers, not to make rude and inappropriate comments about other cc members.

Edited by zanydoc

Sorry that many people were upset by my honest response to the op's question. My picky eater was 2 years old at the time and decided to stop eating certain foods that we would all consider "Normal." He started vomiting up foods that he ate previously with no problems. His doctor said it was not an allergy but that it was probably a sensitivity to texture and he would eventually outgrow it. This was our first cruise with him and the only time I took food off the ship because I knew he would not eat anything in the ports and we had fairly long excursions. Ten years ago I certainly recall the "no"produce rules, but not "no" taking sandwiches or cookies off the ship. Especially not in Labadee, Cozumel, and Key West. In fact this may have been when they still offered to box up a lunch to take with you, but my son wouldn't have eaten that either. Fortunately my son outgrew his texture sensitivity when he was about 6. He is now 12 and has happily turned into an adventurous eater.

It would be nice if the cruise critic members could helpfully answer people's questions instead of attacking anyone who dares to respond to something controversial. I am not "cheap" or responsible for perpetuating picky eating habits in my child as several of you have felt the need to incorrectly assume. The non-judgmental responses to the question as far as certain foods be illegal, dogs sniffing,possible fines, and bringing prepackaged food are very helpful responses to CruisinSunBunny's question--as for the rest of you-- I've been a CC member for a long time and wish folks would remember why these forums are here...to help out fellow cruisers, not to make rude and inappropriate comments about other cc members.

Very well said.

I am not a picky eater, but do have textural issues with things. I know what will set it off and what will not, but I am an adult and it has taken me some time to find out what they are. I also have adverse reactions to certain foods, which I can medicate to get past the consequences of eating those foods. (ie, onions, garlic, beans,, brocholi and such). If I want to eat them, I take a pill.

I too will be going off the ship on a Sunday in Spain when place will not be open to pick something up. I don't want to rely on being able to get something that would cause me some "intestinal" issues when facilities may not be readily available while I am in a wet suit jumping off a cliff!

I will pack some sealed protein bars with me, and will confer with the people onboard as to what if anything I can bring into port from the ship. As this would be preferred.

For those that say "don't do the excursion if they aren't giving you food" HUH? I am not going on a food tasting excursion, I am going to be repelling rock faces, cave exploring and cliff diving (jumping in my case).

Anyway, good luck to all, and an FYI, I have tried to find the info on what I can bring ashore but have yet to find this info. If anyone has a link, it would be greatly appreciated. (Palma de Mallorca, Spain)

you can also get those little packages of cereal and take them off the ship. Have a wonderful cruise.[

Unfortunately, I need a more "protein" based meal. The carbs in cereal are not good for me as a meal. So, I do carry high protein bars with me most times, for that "just in case" meal when nothing else is available.

This thread is confusing. When it started it was about snacks, now people are arguing about picky eaters and waxing poetic about the 50's?

For the record, I grew up in the early 2000's and I have fond childhood memories too—baby boomers don't have a monopoly on nostalgia :V

Not all that confusing. Started with how do I take food off at port for a picky eater. The 50's posts are to show how much simpler things were, or just outright wrong. Feeding your baby wholesome 7Up? :') At least it had cane sugar back then. :confused:

If you do this, what are your reasons and how do you go about it? Thank you!

Not all that confusing. Started with how do I take food off at port for a picky eater. The 50's posts are to show how much simpler things were, or just outright wrong. Feeding your baby wholesome 7Up? :') At least it had cane sugar back then. :confused:

It actually morphed into the picky eater judgmental discussion. The other post I quoted above is the original post of this thread.

As far as the milk discussion, the milk I bought at our local grocery store on Monday, has an expiration date of September 13th.

Yes, all of us baby boomers were raised so wrong. Our parents should all be in prison facing the death penalty.:eek:

Yes, all of us baby boomers were raised so wrong. Our parents should all be in prison facing the death penalty.:eek:

Well obviously no one said that and everyone here knows it—including you. But it wasn't all roses and sunshine either. I mean...Jim Crow was not great. The past wasn't universally terrible, but you shouldn't overly romanticize it either.

Well obviously no one said that and everyone here knows it—including you. But it wasn't all roses and sunshine either. I mean...Jim Crow was not great. The past wasn't universally terrible, but you shouldn't overly romanticize it either.

I had to google who Jim Crow was...................never heard of him. Why are you throwing in racism?

BTW I had a wonderful childhood. It was a very innocent time for us.

You may think it's funny, but I have tears in my eyes just thinking of my now deceased parents and how much they loved me and I them.

That was a very sick statement. Let the bashing rebegin.

BTW you can also get those little packages of cereal and take them off the ship. Have a wonderful cruise.

I'm sorry, what? This thread is not revolving around you, you know. Check my timestamp. I posted at the same time as you, not in response to you. You're being a special snowflake here. And regarding nostalgia? America was not great then.

My condolences to the loss of your mom.

If you do this, what are your reasons and how do you go about it? Thank you!

What I like to do is go to a local supermarket and pick up local delicacies and of course wine or local beer especially in Europe. If there is time you could go to a local supermarket after they take you back to the ship and have a picnic then go back to the ship.

If the excursion is long and hey do shopping just make sure to be back at the meeting point and go for a nice picnic it does not have to be a long one.

You could bring plastic silverware, bottle opener/can opener a frisbee to use as a cutting board. The cheeses, breads,meats, chocolates that you can have for less than the cost of a restaurant meal is a great travel memory!!

So sorry this turned into a personal attack of parents with picky eaters. My youngest was so picky she wasn't gaining the weight and was told by her ped. to give her ice cream everyday.

Now to get back to the post. I would like to take food off the ship to snack on too. So far only read San Juan doesn't allow fruit (good to know as I'm going there) and Mex. Can someone list what ports no one had a problem doing it. Also, does anyone on the ship check? I was thinking of bringing a backpack/cooler and putting things in there.

I would like to add my 2 cents. Every household is different and its considered rude to bash one household for doing things differently than your own household. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

For me I was a good eater and my Parents never ordered me the Children's meal on the airplane and at restauratns when I was 10 I would eat what the adults were eating.

I remember going to an event and we were part of the kid's dinner and I remember not wanting to eat the hamburgers and would have rather had the Cous Cous and Beef Dish the adults were eating and I was six.

I love Fois Gras now but as a kid it did not really appeal to me. Our tastebuds change.

When I was 13 my Grandparents gave me wine and now I can differentiate between a good wine and a wine that is light. For instance Merlot to me tastes like grape water and I would rather have a full bodied wine like a Cabernet, Moutard etc.

The same goes with beers I like the craft beers and the same goes with cheeses l like the strong cheeses.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes but it does not mean that we should bash people for it. I agree that children should respect their paretns and be kind and try a bite of something but not be forced to eat it if truly they do not like it.

I am very certain that Parents do their best to raise their kids to be good members of society. Now I understand that in some areas people have to live on paycheck to paycheck and may not have the best diet.

Its none of my business what people eat or do if it does not directly affect me I just live and let be.

This is my 2 cents.

For those that say "don't do the excursion if they aren't giving you food" HUH? I am not going on a food tasting excursion, I am going to be repelling rock faces, cave exploring and cliff diving (jumping in my case).

doesn't change MY opinion that if I am going to be paying for an excursion that lasts through at least one general meal time frame, then I expect to be accommodated with at least SOME form of nourishment. I will not book any excursion that does not offer either a meal/snack box or a scheduled break to find our own locally.

doesn't change MY opinion that if I am going to be paying for an excursion that lasts through at least one general meal time frame, then I expect to be accommodated with at least SOME form of nourishment. I will not book any excursion that does not offer either a meal/snack box or a scheduled break to find our own locally.

I do tend to agree with this. One bonus about most cruise line excursions is that if they are long and over the lunch period (like, that's halfway through the excursion) they do include some kind of lunch or snack. (Obviously the "on your own" things like you see on the Med itineraries are an exception.)

If I was paying for a private excursion and they weren't including at least a stop where you can get lunch, I'd be asking them about that and explain that you are on a cruise ship and cannot bring food off. Of course if you're lying about being on a cruise ship because they won't book you if they know you are because of their arrangements with the cruise lines, you're kind of stuck.

I do tend to agree with this. One bonus about most cruise line excursions is that if they are long and over the lunch period (like, that's halfway through the excursion) they do include some kind of lunch or snack. (Obviously the "on your own" things like you see on the Med itineraries are an exception.)

If I was paying for a private excursion and they weren't including at least a stop where you can get lunch, I'd be asking them about that and explain that you are on a cruise ship and cannot bring food off. Of course if you're lying about being on a cruise ship because they won't book you if they know you are because of their arrangements with the cruise lines, you're kind of stuck.

This is not a cruise line excursion. I did not lie to the place and tell them I was staying locally to beat out the cruise company. Royal Caribbean does not offer this type of excursion, most likely because not too many people are willing to do it. I booked through Viator.com which is a well known site for excursions. I also booked with them for front of the line for Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel. I very rarely use cruise line exclusions because the prices are usually so high and you are with a such a large group that you end up annoyed. I usually go with others on smaller 8 person groups with people on my Meet and Mingle group. But again, this is a tour most people don't want to do.

I was well aware of having to bring my own food, it is listed clearly on their website. I just now realized that we arrive on a Sunday, and a lot of things are closed early on a Sunday in Spain. Any other day would be fine.

This was on their site

Inclusions

Cruise pickup and drop-off

]All equipment and shoes

Qualified Local guide

Insurance

Transport by minivan

Exclusions

Food and drinks

Gratuities (optional)

Additional info Confirmation will be received at time of booking

Please wear comfortable clothes and hiking shoes

Please bring sun screen, bottled water and your own lunch

Please bring your bathing suit and towel All passenger heights, weights and shoe sizes MUST be advised at time of booking

]Read more about Shore Excursion: Coasteering in Mallorca 2017 at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Mallorca/Sea-Adventure-for-Cruise-guests/d955-7094P6/important-info?pub=vcps

I would go up to the lido deck and fill them at the self service area there.

Sent from my LG-V498 using Forums mobile app

Just please use a clean cup to do so rather than putting the mouth of your water bottle up to the spout. THAT is what most people's problem with filling them at drink stations is - the people who don't use a separate cup to fill the bottle.

This is not a cruise line excursion. I did not lie to the place and tell them I was staying locally to beat out the cruise company. Royal Caribbean does not offer this type of excursion, most likely because not too many people are willing to do it. I booked through Viator.com which is a well known site for excursions. I also booked with them for front of the line for Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel. I very rarely use cruise line exclusions because the prices are usually so high and you are with a such a large group that you end up annoyed. I usually go with others on smaller 8 person groups with people on my Meet and Mingle group. But again, this is a tour most people don't want to do.

I was well aware of having to bring my own food, it is listed clearly on their website. I just now realized that we arrive on a Sunday, and a lot of things are closed early on a Sunday in Spain. Any other day would be fine.

This was on their site

Inclusions

Cruise pickup and drop-off

]All equipment and shoes

Qualified Local guide

Insurance

Transport by minivan

Exclusions

Food and drinks

Gratuities (optional)

Additional info Confirmation will be received at time of booking

Please wear comfortable clothes and hiking shoes

Please bring sun screen, bottled water and your own lunch

Please bring your bathing suit and towel All passenger heights, weights and shoe sizes MUST be advised at time of booking

]Read more about Shore Excursion: Coasteering in Mallorca 2017 at: https://www.viator.com/tours/Mallorca/Sea-Adventure-for-Cruise-guests/d955-7094P6/important-info?pub=vcps

How do you know that "most things will be closed" on Sunday? I've been to Ireland and Italy - both VERY Catholic countries - on Sundays and because I was in touristy areas/cities there were plenty of restaurants open on Sunday.

But...given your concern, I would invest in pre-packaged things like protein bars, etc. to carry with you. Even in Cuba (which has massive restrictions on what can be brought in) I had no problem taking Luna bars off ship.

Just please use a clean cup to do so rather than putting the mouth of your water bottle up to the spout. THAT is what most people's problem with filling them at drink stations is - the people who don't use a separate cup to fill the bottle.

Wait, really? As long as you do not physically touch the spout it doesn't matter. People put their mouths up to it.

FYI this is ILLEGAL to do in most ports. If caught one can be detained and subject to potentially massive fines (they exceed $10,000 in some locales). Most countries allow one to bring factory sealed, pre-packaged items, but have agricultural laws prohibiting many types of fresh food (the exact items forbidden vary from country-to-country, but fruit, vegetables, meat, nuts and dairy are often among items prohibited). Fresh food can contained bugs/pests that can devastate local agriculture. Some ports take this very seriously and even have agricultural dogs to sniff for such contraband. It is also foolish to transport meat and dairy for any length of time without refrigeration (even if it were legal) as it can make one quite sick.

You can always decide to eat it there when questioned.