Packing lunch for an excursion

We don't pack " lunch" but do bring prepackaged snacks, things like protein bars, granola bars, cheese and cracker packages etc. Why? Because we are cheap and didn't want to buy lunch in port, in a foreign country and not adventurous eaters or need snacks for growing teenage boy on long excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And there are cute little beagles to make sure you don't get away with anything. They have great noses.

If I remember correctly we weren't allowed to take anything off in our NZ ports - no bottled water, granola bars - nothing. And they had puppies too.

Yeah, I remember being told, right before we landed that we couidn't take any food item including things like candy bars or M&Ms..... I was freaking out a bit, because we had quite a few of these items in our backpacks. When we got to customs I said, I have a couple of packaged items, the customs or whatever agent, smiled and said no problem... That said. Don't take anything you don't want to lose when you go to the most beautiful country on the planet...

JC

If you do this, what are your reasons and how do you go about it? Thank you!

You don't. Period. Only factory sealed pre packaged items may leave the ship at any port.

So either choose an excursion where the meal is provided, or wait until you get back on board to eat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You don't. Period. Only factory sealed pre packaged items may leave the ship at any port.

So either choose an excursion where the meal is provided, or wait until you get back on board to eat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or eat in a local restaurant. :o

While this whole thing seems to have gotten off topic, I will add. I know when I was growing up, I was forced to clean my plate, and had many many times where I would end up throwing up multiple times during a meal just to get it down and clean my plate. If I didn't finish it, it would be waiting in the morning and the next night. I grew to not want to try new things, and was not adventurous until later in life. While I am still somewhat picky (love almost all vegetables, but hate almost all fruits - even deserts with fruit), I know that people do have different taste buds.

I will not put my kids through this. My wife and I have always made our kids try everything, and will not make anything special for them, but it they try it, don't like and want to make something for themselves, so be it. It is not worth it to force them to eat something. When they were babies, we heard some say that start with veggie baby food or they will not want to switch to veggies, but no matter how many times we gave my older son any type of veggies, he would spit them out and not take them. This was not a learned behavior, it was just how his taste buds are. To this day, he is fairly picky, but is willing to try almost anything. Our younger son has always eaten almost anything and is not picky at all, and we did nothing really different with him.

Sitting there saying it is all learned behavior, or somehow just due to spoiling the kid is being narrow minded.

Because we don't want to spoil "Pristine Mexico".....

Invasive plant species can be devastating to a region and your attitude sucks. Take a walk around St. Louis and see how "pristine" it is before you decide that your own country is inherently more valuable than Mexico.

Re: Picky eating, almost all kids naturally go through a period of neophobia/picky eating growing up. It's perfectly normal and even an expected milestone. No method of parenting works or does not work 100% of the time, but on the whole forcing a kid to finish their plate when they are going through their neophobia phase is incredibly unlikely to get a desired outcome from the child. Rather, they will be more likely to dig in their heels and experience a longer period of neophobia than what would have otherwise occurred.

On an anecdotal note, my childhood friend and I were both picky eaters around the same age. My parents, for the most part, allowed me to avoid foods that I didn't like. My friend's mother's boyfriend made her eat everything on her plate and didn't let her leave the table until every bite was eaten. Now in our mid-20's, I don't have any issues with foods and she is still struggling to expand her palette beyond pizza, chicken tenders, and bagels.

So sorry this turned into a personal attack of parents with picky eaters. My youngest was so picky she wasn't gaining the weight and was told by her ped. to give her ice cream everyday.

Now to get back to the post. I would like to take food off the ship to snack on too. So far only read San Juan doesn't allow fruit (good to know as I'm going there) and Mex. Can someone list what ports no one had a problem doing it. Also, does anyone on the ship check? I was thinking of bringing a backpack/cooler and putting things in there.

So sorry this turned into a personal attack of parents with picky eaters. My youngest was so picky she wasn't gaining the weight and was told by her ped. to give her ice cream everyday.

Now to get back to the post. I would like to take food off the ship to snack on too. So far only read San Juan doesn't allow fruit (good to know as I'm going there) and Mex. Can someone list what ports no one had a problem doing it. Also, does anyone on the ship check? I was thinking of bringing a backpack/cooler and putting things in there.

The information is listed in your cruise compass. Fruit is not allowed pretty much anywhere since you can be introducing a pest into the country you are visiting. Meats are also not allowed.

Your best bet is to forget the cooler, unless it is for bottled water, and just bring some prepackaged snacks with you.

I am pretty sure every country has restrictions. While some may not have dogs, you should not bring unsealed foods off the ship.

Honestly, I think the easiest thing to do is forget trying to navigate what foods are legal to bring off the ship and just buy something to eat in the port. I can respect wanting to be frugal on vacation, but I feel like there are better areas to save than a $5/pp snack fund.

Every Caribbean port I've visited has similar restrictions. More importantly, every Caribbean port I've visited also has an abundance of food vendors, markets, convenience stores, grocery stores, fast food, etc!

As a matter of fact, going to a local grocery store is one of our favorite activities in foreign lands! We love to see the variety of products in different locales, translating product names into English, noticing the difference in labeling and products even for US-made products that are manufactured for specific foreign markets, etc. We always shop locally and pick up a treat or snack for munching along the way. It's part of the cultural experience for us.

When in another country I am going to experience the local cuisine, not try to sneak some crappy buffet food off with me.

I can understand if you are ignorant to the laws, but to be aware of the laws and still think your picky child, your desire to not spend money on food off the ship or your food allergies/sensitivities are more important than respecting another country's laws, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs.

When in another country I am going to experience the local cuisine, not try to sneak some crappy buffet food off with me.

I can understand if you are ignorant to the laws, but to be aware of the laws and still think your picky child, your desire to not spend money on food off the ship or your food allergies/sensitivities are more important than respecting another country's laws, then that is a pretty sad state of affairs.

1000% agree.

Every Caribbean port I've visited has similar restrictions. More importantly, every Caribbean port I've visited also has an abundance of food vendors, markets, convenience stores, grocery stores, fast food, etc!

As a matter of fact, going to a local grocery store is one of our favorite activities in foreign lands! We love to see the variety of products in different locales, translating product names into English, noticing the difference in labeling and products even for US-made products that are manufactured for specific foreign markets, etc. We always shop locally and pick up a treat or snack for munching along the way. It's part of the cultural experience for us.

In all our cruises, no one on the ship has ever checked our bags/backpacks. But, the cruise rules (Cruise Compass) warn about taking food off the ship. Several ports have dogs that smell all bags and backpacks for food with probably a 99% success rate (Cozumel is one of these ports that checks).

I was raised old school to eat everything on my plate. I had to sit there until I did. I never knew what a picky eater was until I went to school and saw a kid's crust cut off his sandwich. I was literally shocked. Why would any parent do that?

My boys grew up to eat everything. If they are hungry enough, they will eat. And they did as I did. Now they dabble in gourmet cooking and "me" Mom is asking for their recipe.

Really hope your kid outgrows his condition. :D

You are absolutely wrong- some kids won't "eat when they are hungry"- stop with the judging! Good for you that your kids were great eaters, not everyone has the same experience as you and that does not make them wrong.

You are absolutely wrong- some kids won't "eat when they are hungry"- stop with the judging! Good for you that your kids were great eaters, not everyone has the same experience as you and that does not make them wrong.

I totally agree. My daughter was very picky and would happily go without food rather than eat anything she didn't like. She didn't even like "mcDonalds" when she was little (that has now changed :D).

I confess to having done this as well - made a sandwich from the breakfast buffet to take ashore. I did it not because of picky eaters or being too cheap to purchase food at a local restaurant. I did it because we were taking the ferry from St. Thomas to St. John and hiking trails off the beaten path. That was the entirety of our day. No place to buy food along the trails. I know better now and, like others have said, we take pre-packaged foods.

Ok, how about when you are doing an Adventure tour (Coasteering, repelling, cliff jumping) in Palma de Mallorca and they tell you to bring a sandwhich and big bottle of water with you and are picking you up at the cruise port? Then what?

Ok, how about when you are doing an Adventure tour (Coasteering, repelling, cliff jumping) in Palma de Mallorca and they tell you to bring a sandwhich and big bottle of water with you and are picking you up at the cruise port? Then what?
I think I would take these instructions to Guest Services and ask them to suggest a solution that doesn't contradict the legal requirements of that port. Any excursion like you describe that I've taken has provided some kind of box lunch or stop at a local restaurant.

To those calling me cheap.... We're just taking an intense excursion and food is not provided. Hold your tongue if you suggest just not eating all day or finding a different excursion. My question was what are my options for bringing food. The answer may be there aren't any options. That's fine. But don't insinuate I'm cheap and law breaking. Geez.

Secondly, to every single one of you saying your child will eventually eat has never, ever had a truly picky child. Because you'd know they will literally skip several meals willingly to the point the doctor weighs them and questions you because now you're being neglectful. Seriously happened to me. I may have stunted his growth thinking "he'll eat eventually." Newsflash: he wouldn't. I too, thought like you. God gave me two older kids who love everything, from spinach, to seafood, to asparagus. Then he gave my judgemental behind my youngest and laughed. Learned me real good.

And sometimes the local cuisine sucks. Why spend money on crappy food that could make you sick for the rest of your vacation? If you can (and want) to take it with you - go for it. Just don't break any laws. I have not been to a port that restricts pre-packaged food like granola bars, candy bars, etc. This should work if your big adventure is something besides touring the local restaurants and grocery stores. Plus, people with diabetes need to have something with them in case of low blood sugar.

To those calling me cheap.... We're just taking an intense excursion and food is not provided. Hold your tongue if you suggest just not eating all day or finding a different excursion. My question was what are my options for bringing food. The answer may be there aren't any options. That's fine. But don't insinuate I'm cheap and law breaking. Geez.

Secondly, to every single one of you saying your child will eventually eat has never, ever had a truly picky child. Because you'd know they will literally skip several meals willingly to the point the doctor weighs them and questions you because now you're being neglectful. Seriously happened to me. I may have stunted his growth thinking "he'll eat eventually." Newsflash: he wouldn't. I too, thought like you. God gave me two older kids who love everything, from spinach, to seafood, to asparagus. Then he gave my judgemental behind my youngest and laughed. Learned me real good.

I'm kind of in the same "boat", we arrive in Port on a Sunday. There will be nothing open. We are being picked up early and going to remote destinations, there will not be food available to purchase. That is why they say to bring your own. And like you, we are not cheap, but are excited to get to do this type of adventure! So, I guess I will be packing some protein bars from home as a "just in case" scenario.