Packing lunch for an excursion

To those calling me cheap.... We're just taking an intense excursion and food is not provided. Hold your tongue if you suggest just not eating all day or finding a different excursion. My question was what are my options for bringing food. The answer may be there aren't any options. That's fine. But don't insinuate I'm cheap and law breaking. Geez.

Secondly, to every single one of you saying your child will eventually eat has never, ever had a truly picky child. Because you'd know they will literally skip several meals willingly to the point the doctor weighs them and questions you because now you're being neglectful. Seriously happened to me. I may have stunted his growth thinking "he'll eat eventually." Newsflash: he wouldn't. I too, thought like you. God gave me two older kids who love everything, from spinach, to seafood, to asparagus. Then he gave my judgemental behind my youngest and laughed. Learned me real good.

Just ignore them. Different people have different tastes and enjoy different things. I know many people who won't eat 'local cuisine' for a variety of reasons, they're all great people, and there's nothing wrong with it. There is so much more to visiting different places! I have a daughter who's picky and know what you mean.

Customs laws very quite a bit from country to country. Pretty common though meats and dairy are no-gos, regardless on if its in commercial packaging or not. The concern is diseases. Fresh fruits and vegetables are often no-gos also, this is due to concerns over diseases but also insects.

Some people just like to pick fights, others are just really bad at telling the difference between opinions and facts. It's your vacation, enjoy it how you want to enjoy it, and they'll enjoy theirs how they want to.

Ok, how about when you are doing an Adventure tour (Coasteering, repelling, cliff jumping) in Palma de Mallorca and they tell you to bring a sandwhich and big bottle of water with you and are picking you up at the cruise port? Then what?

contact the tour company and ask what is permitted. they may just tell you to stop and purchase a sammich and bottle of water just off the ship in town.

if they are not providing you with meals, or a planned break to buy something.. I wouldnt book with them anyway. but thats just me. or do what everyone KNOWS is safe and legal: PRE PACKAGED ITEMS. box of granola bars and trail mix form Costco. problem solved.

I stand by my original OPINION that picky eaters are made. I'll repeat that I was raised old school and had to clean my plate. I was told to think of all the starving children in ( insert country) Once I entered school I was appalled by what other children ate, didn't eat, or how they ate. I already named seeing crust cut off a sandwich. I also saw another child not eating because his sandwich was cut in half and not diagonal, or not in quarters. What??

Many kids would not eat their platter because the food was touching! These are just some of the examples of what I meant.

If your child has a condition and is under Doctors care for "picky type" illness systems, that is NOT what I am referring to.

Many of you bashing me mentioned your child was a picky eater. You should have used a medical term or another word than "picky eater" which set yourself up for comments.

I stand by my original OPINION that picky eaters are made. I'll repeat that I was raised old school and had to clean my plate. I was told to think of all the starving children in ( insert country) Once I entered school I was appalled by what other children ate, didn't eat, or how they ate. I already named seeing crust cut off a sandwich. I also saw another child not eating because his sandwich was cut in half and not diagonal, or not in quarters. What??

Many kids would not eat their platter because the food was touching! These are just some of the examples of what I meant.

If your child has a condition and is under Doctors care for "picky type" illness systems, that is NOT what I am referring to.

Many of you bashing me mentioned your child was a picky eater. You should have used a medical term or another word than "picky eater" which set yourself up for comments.

My child doesn't have a medical condition. He just won't eat. He got dangerously thin because he was just not eating what was served. Meal after meal. Day after day. His condition is "picky eater." He was too young for a power play (1yr).

He never ate baby food. He wouldn't even drink cow's milk, so days and days of no protein. I wasn't being a good mother by keeping my foot so firmly placed on the ground. He got dangerously thin. His height is still small.

Picky eaters exist. Some are created, sure, but not all. Many are just that way.

PS old school doesn't equal correct. Forcing someone to clean their plate can lead to unhealthy eating habits and obesity in later life.

My child doesn't have a medical condition. He just won't eat. He got dangerously thin because he was just not eating what was served. Meal after meal. Day after day. His condition is "picky eater." He was too young for a power play (1yr).

He never ate baby food. He wouldn't even drink cow's milk, so days and days of no protein. I wasn't being a good mother by keeping my foot so firmly placed on the ground. He got dangerously thin. His height is still small.

Picky eaters exist. Some are created, sure, but not all. Many are just that way.

PS old school doesn't equal correct. Forcing someone to clean their plate can lead to unhealthy eating habits and obesity in later life.

So, getting back to your actual question, what port are you most concerned about? Are you doing a ship sponsored excursion or are you going off on your own? We can try to point you in the direction of a store to get what you need once off the ship if we have an idea of which port and what this little one actually will eat.:)

Many kids would not eat their platter because the food was touching!

Speak for yourself, some flavors just don't go together :P I for one hate when pickles touch bread and the juice soaks in...gross.

If you do this, what are your reasons and how do you go about it? Thank you!

I don't think you're being cheap. It's the other poster who was bringing large quantities of assorted sandwiches to her room and proudly wrapping them up in zip lock bags to smuggle off the ship. Your question is valid. I think everyone just wants you to know what not to do.

Thank you. My kids tried to be "picky eaters" but I did not allow it. And now they are not allowing it for their kids.

And sometimes the local cuisine sucks. Why spend money on crappy food that could make you sick for the rest of your vacation?
Just pointing out the obvious: A made-on-the-ship sandwich with meat and mayonnaise can also make you sick.

Eat a big breakfast, carry a couple pre-packaged snacks, and have a late lunch when you return to the ship. This plan accounts for the appetites of children and the needs of diabetics. It means you're less likely to encounter bad food, and it keeps you safe from breaking rules /encountering fines -- and you're not stuck carrying bags of food around, and it means you're not eating icky made-hours-ago sandwiches.

Thank YOU, Gretchen!!

You can try all you want, but there is a difference. While some go through a picky phase, that is not the same thing. People have different taste buds, and saying that because you're kids will eat many things, it must be bad parenting is pretty short sided and narrow minded.

When you have two kids, one that will eat anything, and the other than would literally throw up if forced to eat things, it cannot be all due to how you raise your kids. Not everybody is built the same.

Everybody likes to judge others to show how they are better (parenting or otherwise), but everybody is different, and what works for one does not work for all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

My question was what are my options for bringing food.

It's a reasonable question. If you do not think you will have an opportunity to have lunch ashore, bring some granola bars, protein bars, fruit strips, cereal bars, snack crackers, etc. factory sealed and shelf stabled prepared items and bring them with you on the excursion. You may find prepackaged potato chips on the ship but I don't recall seeing much else prepackaged.

What's with the parenting advice in here? Not every thread on CC calls for parenting advice...

You can try all you want, but there is a difference. While some go through a picky phase, that is not the same thing. People have different taste buds, and saying that because you're kids will eat many things, it must be bad parenting is pretty short sided and narrow minded.

When you have two kids, one that will eat anything, and the other than would literally throw up if forced to eat things, it cannot be all due to how you raise your kids. Not everybody is built the same.

Everybody likes to judge others to show how they are better (parenting or otherwise), but everybody is different, and what works for one does not work for all.

You can try all you want, but I never said any of that. :eek::eek:

Bingo.

I've learned to just roll my eyes, just as most do to people with no kids giving parenting advice as if they're superior :halo:

There are proven genetic reasons foods taste differently to different people. Classic examples are cilantro tasting soapy to some, and others being sensitive to the Brassica family of plants (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, choy sum, rutabaga, turnip, and mustard) finding them extremely bitter. There is a term for it, "Supertaster".

I stand by what I said. You said that picky eaters are made, and many parents can attest that that statement is not always true. Implying that you are a better parent because you didn't let your kids be picky shows a narrow minded view - if that is how it worked for you, then it must be correct and better than what others do.

I know from personal experience that forcing a kid to eat something just to make them clean their plate does not work on all circumstances. I was forced as a kid numerous times, sometimes throwing up multiple times during a meal, and it truly made me not want to try new things.

We have always made our kids try everything we make, but will not force them to finish something. One of it kids will eat anything, other likes less things, but has learned to cook things he likes.

I won't sit here saying I know how to raise other people's kids, cause I am still figuring it mine, just like every parent out there.

Brings back many innocent childhood memories. I didn't have to be home until the street lights came on. I watched Romper Room, Sky King, The Little Rascals, every cigarette commercial ever made, drank all my milk, ate everything on my plate, cleaned my room, ironed all my clothes, earned my own money by baby sitting, never had an allowance, was never given a car and there were no cell phones or internet, I had to ride my bike to the library to do my homework. I guess I had terrible parents. Yep, Just buried my angel of a mother last year.

This thread is hilarious. The cruise will be kid-free, so no worries about picky eaters here.

Thanks for the advice. I will just pack some granola bars and the like to hold us over. Thanks.

Good you got your answer. You never know how a thread will morph after it starts!

This thread is hilarious. The cruise will be kid-free, so no worries about picky eaters here.

Thanks for the advice. I will just pack some granola bars and the like to hold us over. Thanks.

You may think it's funny, but I have tears in my eyes just thinking of my now deceased parents and how much they loved me and I them.

That was a very sick statement. Let the bashing rebegin.

BTW you can also get those little packages of cereal and take them off the ship. Have a wonderful cruise.

I wonder if the poor to middle class before about 1950 ever heard of a child being a picky eater? Most people struggled with providing enough food for their families, and "picky eating" would have been a luxury that most parents would have never tolerated.

Preferences make sense, but picky eating starts when you begin to accommodate a person's likes/dislikes as a child. Modern day parents can do this without much impact because of refrigeration and the availability of a wide variety of processed food that can be easily prepared.

I'm a historian and the scene at the family table before 1940 where children refused to eat what the mother struggled to cook would be laughed at and viewed as horribly inaccurate. Pilgrim children (four hundred years ago) often stood at the table while the parents sat.

That said, there are some biological differences that make some foods hard to digest. Asians, for example, often have difficulties digesting dairy foods as they are raised without cheeses and cow's milk. This is changing, but new immigrants often have a lot of difficulty with this food.