Hurricane Irma Watch

Why wouldn't Allure sail on Monday afternoon after the storm has passed ? Am I missing something ?? It sounds like if I am truly being a bit of a cheddar head, you would be the person to point it out. I just figured that it would be better to go a day earlier than to travel on Saturday and have FLL airport close in my face as I layover in Atlanta - thereby stranding us for 1-2 days before the airport opens again in FLL. And if Irma goes up the middle of FL, right up into Atlanta, well then I can spend yet another night in the Atlanta airport.

Can you, or can't you, wait out a hurricane - even a category 4 - in a hotel room ? Anybody ?? Real question, definitely not sarcasm, so please don't take it that way. I'm a feisty old broad but not mean !

You are missing a lot. You are very out of touch with reality. It's not simply "lets just sail right after the storm has passed." Who knows what damage will be done to the port and surrounding area. It takes A LOT of people to operate these ports and cruise ship terminals. There is a chance these people will not even be able to get to the port right after Irma passes depending on the damage it causes (downed trees, power lines, loss of power/utilities, flooding of the streets, etc). Never mind the fact that these people are worried about their own lives, their families, their homes. They need a moment to pick up the pieces as well. Emergency crews will all be very busy and over stretched and shouldn't be worried about a bunch of tourist immediately in the aftermath.

This is a very serious storm and has already caused devastating damage to some of the Caribbean Islands and is on a path toward Florida. Hopefully it weakens, or better yet, takes path back out to the Atlantic. But it is a very unpredictable situation. As some one mentioned, I would make alternative arrangements...and free up a hotel room for some evacuees or emergency responders.

You get 50% now and 50% on a future cruise. Your expensive Cozumel cruise is basically free. You just really like to complain irrationally, don't you?

I know this is ALL very stressful....my experience with any cruise line is, "buyer beware"...they can change itinerary, shorten the sail, cancel, etc....and in my over 14 years sailing, that is the bottom line....

I am ready for the 9/9 out of Bayonne to Bermuda....no flights involved, and no insurance....I am going if they sail....waiting patiently until tomorrow.

BTW, I truly feel for you and yours...It is hard enough to deal with this situation, not to mention a shortened cruise schedule etc....take care

Looks like we're now getting close enough to US landfall that all the forecasts are converging. GFS, Euro, NHC, and others now look like landfall (or a very near miss) in the Miami-FLL corridor, offshore again in the West Palm - Port St. Lucie area, then up the coast and back onshore near Savannah.

Some disagreement on intensity, which is harder to model than track. GFS suggesting on as a 5 and off as a 4 then maybe a 4 when it hits GA. Euro sees a 4 into Miami area back off again as a 3.

You are missing a lot. You are very out of touch with reality. It's not simply "lets just sail right after the storm has passed." Who knows what damage will be done to the port and surrounding area. It takes A LOT of people to operate these ports and cruise ship terminals. There is a chance these people will not even be able to get to the port right after Irma passes depending on the damage it causes (downed trees, power lines, loss of power/utilities, flooding of the streets, etc). Never mind the fact that these people are worried about their own lives, their families, their homes. They need a moment to pick up the pieces as well. Emergency crews will all be very busy and over stretched and shouldn't be worried about a bunch of tourist immediately in the aftermath.

This is a very serious storm and has already caused devastating damage to some of the Caribbean Islands and is on a path toward Florida. Hopefully it weakens, or better yet, takes path back out to the Atlantic. But it is a very unpredictable situation. As some one mentioned, I would make alternative arrangements...and free up a hotel room for some evacuees or emergency responders.

I think your ship has already been notified that they aren't coming in on time...(?)....yes, you could hole up in a hotel, but wouldn't be too sure that that is the best option....still not sure where this thing Irma is headed....

been thru alot of tropical storms, and it is not pretty....and if I am not wrong, the ships come in drop off people then head out to safety and don't stay in the port....

guess you will know sooner than later what your options are.....you may not be the decision maker in this case...sorry -

Link?

I think they may be looking at the Sunset Beach Bar webcam shot from early this morning. I found it on Youtube and you can see it on CNN. It wasn't long before the webcam went dark. The webcam from St. Croix is still up but the weather has improved. The St. Thomas webcam is down and the one in San Juan is still up and the water has risen dramatically.

Here's the latest from RCI about the next set of sailings:

The following sailings are being monitored and we will have further details in our 6 PM EDT update:

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 11 Bahamas cruise

Enchantment of the Seas: September 11 Bahamas cruise

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure.

Here's the latest from RCI about the next set of sailings:

The following sailings are being monitored and we will have further details in our 6 PM EDT update:

Anthem of the Seas: September 9 Bermuda cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 11 Bahamas cruise

Enchantment of the Seas: September 11 Bahamas cruise

In an effort to give you advance notice of any changes while also taking into account the most accurate forecast information, we will be providing updates on any impacted sailings no later than 2 days in advance of departure.

I Majesty is Port Canaveral, it's going to get cancelled or delayed. The models are all converging on a solution of the storm being just offshore of this area Monday morning.

Pretty ridiculous how RCI is not giving us a third option in getting a full refund with the 25% future credit. Our money is tied down on their side, when I can use it toward another vacation/plans/or other arrangements. Unbelievable.

Please name a event were you get your money back when there is a weather related postponement?

LOL!! Yeah, the home on wheels (turtle shell land yacht :p). Fortunately parked here outside of Bar Harbor Maine right now.

Hope you keep safe, and hope our homes come through without serious damage also.

Feel helpless up here, worrying about our neighbors/families/friends and if we will still have a home

to come home to....but at least we are safe.

Eat some steamers and a lobster roll and say a little prayer for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please name a event were you get your money back when there is a weather related postponement?

Seriously? This is pretty easy, it happened a few days ago with Royal Caribbean.

- Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

From Royal themselves, on their website.

Where have you been these few days?

And it's not like our sailing can be "postponed"... I myself got an incredible deal that I just won't get again to be honest. So I'd prefer a refund and just do something else instead of being tied down to RCI, and forced to pay extra for the same cruise on another date...

Pretty ridiculous how RCI is not giving us a third option in getting a full refund with the 25% future credit. Our money is tied down on their side, when I can use it toward another vacation/plans/or other arrangements. Unbelievable.

Actually...most people would probably find that offer very reasonable.

Other than some measured inconvenience, that leaves a person with all their original funds returned and a potential future discount if they rebook. Anything beyond that starts to become unrealistic and unreasonable.

Seriously? This is pretty easy, it happened a few days ago with Royal Caribbean.

- Empress of the Seas: September 9 Cuba cruise

Enchantment of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

Majesty of the Seas: September 8 Bahamas cruise

We are very sorry for the impact this storm has had on your vacation and please know that we made the decision with the safety and comfort of our guests and crew in mind. The cruise fare and fees will be 100% refunded to the original form of payment, and we are also offering a 25% future cruise credit, based on the cruise fare, if a new cruise is booked in the next 30 days. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call 1-800-256-6649.

From Royal themselves, on their website.

Where have you been these few days?

And it's not like our sailing can be "postponed"... I myself got an incredible deal that I just won't get again to be honest. So I'd prefer a refund and just do something else instead of being tied down to RCI, and forced to pay extra for the same cruise on another date...

So why are you bashing royal? Saying they are ridiculous and incredible?

Actually...most people would probably find that offer very reasonable.

Other than some measured inconvenience, that leaves a person with all their original funds returned and a potential future discount if they rebook. Anything beyond that starts to become unrealistic and unreasonable.

I don't think it's unreasonable to prefer a refund to original form of payment and a 25% cruise credit. They did it for 3 other cruises already. Why not the others? Oh yea, cause they don't want to lose money.

So now my options are: okay I get 100% credit to use on any cruise which A. The rates are already higher for, B. Promotions aren't even as good right now, and C. I lose the $200 on board credit that I had for my 09/10 sailing and they won't even honor it for the future cruise that I choose...

Put it this way, people I know who stayed in the New Orleans area when Katrina hit (as a category 3) said they thought they were going to die and would never do that again. It is possible this hurricane could see 200 mph winds. These islands will be obliterated tomorrow. Nothing survives a category 5. Bark will be peeled from trees. It is basically a F5 super wide tornado.

A 4 is not much more relief. A 5 starts with winds at 157 (iirc) mph and there is no category 6. This one has winds of 185 mph right now. Even with some land interaction, it is still going to be a powerful storm when it exits into the warm Gulf of Mexico waters. (Unless a miracle happens).

This is very very bad. The best case scenario would be that somehow it goes out to sea.

Thank you so much for your thorough (and gentle) reply to what must have seemed to be an epically stupid question to you. In hindsight, I definitely see that, and I'm not even going to try and excuse it with fatigue or stress. I am pulling with you for the going out to sea scenario.

Thanks to you, and everyone else, who is posting clear and understandable information and using small words, and pictures, for the layperson. Good job.