Hurricane Irma Watch

I don't excited about too much I know they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. For us it will be one more hilarious story to tell (sleeping in the car in an airport parking lot so we could use the airport facilities) about our cruising adventures. My issues are so minor compared to the islands that were hit by Irma and Key West that I am thankful for all I have and the ability to cruise as much as we do. Imagine having no gas, electricty, water, sewers, Internet and probably roads that are not useable. You just have to keep things in perspective and adapt as necessary.

I like your attitude. One of the big reason we enjoy a cruise beside the ports and the sea, is to be onboard a vessel with delightful passengers such as yourself. Have a wonderful time.

I don't excited about too much I know they are doing the best they can under the circumstances. For us it will be one more hilarious story to tell (sleeping in the car in an airport parking lot so we could use the airport facilities) about our cruising adventures. My issues are so minor compared to the islands that were hit by Irma and Key West that I am thankful for all I have and the ability to cruise as much as we do. Imagine having no gas, electricty, water, sewers, Internet and probably roads that are not useable. You just have to keep things in perspective and adapt as necessary.

Love this positive attitude. I have friends whose homes did not do so well My corporate office is in Orlando and they still have no power. I was due to fly in this Friday night for mini vaca but after talking to friends and co workers. I have decided to give up room, car and flight. I know people can use them much more than me. Plus I can plan this trip for next month or November once Florida gets back to some normalcy. Have fun on your cruise and keep up the great attitude

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My area of the greater Orlando area has buried power lines. At some point, they have to come to the transformer above the ground.

2/3 of Florida households and businesses are without power, cable, internet, VOIP phones. link

Are you OUC or FPL? We are in an area that FPL now calls the grid. We are in the newer construction area of Ormond Beach West of I95. All utilities underground. Our area has many multiple ways to enter our power grid. After Matthew, we had power back in 28 hours. After Irma, it was 12 hours. FPL continues to get better at managing the "grid". The process is to find the route in that works. We saw the power attempt to come on at hour 5, and again at hour 10, and then to come on at hour 12.

I do think better infrastructure and underground utilities is some of the answer.

I received a text from FPL saying they "expect to restore the East Coast area by end of this coming weekend."

I'm hoping/planning on heading that way for Majesty on the 18th, lots of other things pending. Keeping an eye on this and Majesty's current location. I went in eyes open booking in hurricane season.

Are you OUC or FPL? We are in an area that FPL now calls the grid. We are in the newer construction area of Ormond Beach West of I95. All utilities underground. Our area has many multiple ways to enter our power grid. After Matthew, we had power back in 28 hours. After Irma, it was 12 hours. FPL continues to get better at managing the "grid". The process is to find the route in that works. We saw the power attempt to come on at hour 5, and again at hour 10, and then to come on at hour 12.

I do think better infrastructure and underground utilities is some of the answer.

Neither. I'm Duke. We never lost power, but did have a few flickers. Main transmission lines are about a mile away from our subdivision. Most people who are still out near here, are in upscale areas of Windermere, Dr. Phillips, and Ocoee.

There was major rotation on the ground in Winter Garden, and some of the historic buildings were damaged, it destroyed the historic water tower. :(

We are at terminal 18 parking lot (Harmony) with the ship but they are telling us not to drop off bags or start check in until 3:30. We will see if they stick to that.

We just arrived at term 18 and they said no drop off until 5 PM now.

Neither. I'm Duke. We never lost power, but did have a few flickers. Main transmission lines are about a mile away from our subdivision. Most people who are still out near here, are in upscale areas of Windermere, Dr. Phillips, and Ocoee.

There was major rotation on the ground in Winter Garden, and some of the historic buildings were damaged, it destroyed the historic water tower. :(

What do you then contribute your good luck with having power?

We're hoping to be on the shortened Allure cruise tomorrow. I didn't print our boarding documents prior to the original departure date because I wasn't sure if we'd be able to make it. And now that the original sail date has passed I can't access the reservation in My Cruises on the site! Will this cause me problems at check in tomorrow? We did check in online we just won't have the cruise documents in hand.

We're hoping to be on the shortened Allure cruise tomorrow. I didn't print our boarding documents prior to the original departure date because I wasn't sure if we'd be able to make it. And now that the original sail date has passed I can't access the reservation in My Cruises on the site! Will this cause me problems at check in tomorrow? We did check in online we just won't have the cruise documents in hand.

As long as you have the proper identification you should be fine. They have the ship's manifest to check. I'm sure they are expecting issues just like yours with this sailing.

As long as you have the proper identification you should be fine. They have the ship's manifest to check. I'm sure they are expecting issues just like yours with this sailing.

Thanks for the reassurance! I have our reservation number at least. Now let's hope I remember our room number for the porters...

Port Canaveral website still says closed. Anyone hear anything else

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

UPDATE 9/12/17, 1 p.m.: The U.S. Coast Guard has set the following port conditions:

PortMiami, Port of Pensacola and Port Everglades are already open, but restrictions may apply. More ports are expected to open later today and tomorrow, including Port Tampa Bay. Note the status of ports statewide is continually evolving; however, landside operations are open at many ports and fuel is on its way to gas stations.

We are thankful for Governor Scott’s leadership during Hurricane Irma and the amazing efforts of port workers and administration, the U.S. Coast Guard, Florida Highway Patrol, port tenants (including gas and cruise companies), trucking companies, state and federal agency partners, and many others. The partnership and cooperation of all parties resulted in the unprecedented speed of port openings and fuel distribution. Our thoughts are with all Floridians and businesses as they recover from Hurricane Irma.

UPDATE 9/12/17, 1 p.m.: The U.S. Coast Guard has set the following port conditions:

PortMiami, Port of Pensacola and Port Everglades are already open, but restrictions may apply. More ports are expected to open later today and tomorrow, including Port Tampa Bay. Note the status of ports statewide is continually evolving; however, landside operations are open at many ports and fuel is on its way to gas stations.

We are thankful for Governor Scott’s leadership during Hurricane Irma and the amazing efforts of port workers and administration, the U.S. Coast Guard, Florida Highway Patrol, port tenants (including gas and cruise companies), trucking companies, state and federal agency partners, and many others. The partnership and cooperation of all parties resulted in the unprecedented speed of port openings and fuel distribution. Our thoughts are with all Floridians and businesses as they recover from Hurricane Irma.

I thought Miami was still closed because of two sunken sailboats in the channel? Maybe they have already salvaged them.

Thanks. We're in and seated in the AC.

Did you notice any cars that were flooded in the cruise parking lot? We didn't make it, we tried but the roads and traffic backups were bad between Panama City, Fl and Ocala. They had a lock down in St. Johns County last night and at the I 75 and I 10 interchange, it was underwater. They just opened I 75 at that area this morning, so we called and got the FCC. We had insurance but we knew we wanted to rebook the Harmony, so credit was fine. Insurance was purchased for medical issues if needed. Hope everyone has a wonderful time. You can finally relax.

:)

I thought Miami was still closed because of two sunken sailboats in the channel? Maybe they have already salvaged them.

On Channel 10 Miami's 5:30 news they said it was still closed for that exact reason. I just checked the Port's website and it notes:

The port’s channel remains closed to vessel traffic, but will reopen upon USCG approval.

Apparently the Oasis got an exemption and still on schedule to arrive at 6 AM. I just hope I can get to my car on Merritt Island.

Biker I hope you aren't at Park & Cruise on Merritt Island. They had a tornado and the place was demolished. There's another thread about it with pics. Hopefully you parked at a friends house.

We bought our new "to us" second home on the 1st of January this year in Clearwater. It was to be our winter escape from Upstate NY. We've now been retired for awhile and wanted to be there with other family already living there in the winter.

I spent 70 straight days (with only an occasional beach day for relaxing) renovating the place. I painted the whole inside, installed 220V and venting for a new stackable washer/dryer, complete new kitchen, two new bathrooms, and installed new floors throughout. Then bought new appliances and furniture making it ready for our arrival in November. Then it was time to come back to NY for the summer.

Before I left bough an inexpensive phone with free data every month. I installed surveillance software on it and put it in a window pointing out the driveway. I could view anytime from home.

I watched it every couple hours throughout the day on Sunday. Saw lots of wind and hard rain during the day and then it got pitch black by the time Irma hit.

of what I could not see, but could hear. I thought the sound sounded like waves. Quite a sleepless night as you can imagine.

When neighbors came home we were told that there was no damage. We are very lucky!!!