Hurricane Irma Watch

I'm supposed to fly in tomorrow (Tuesday) for the Allure now 9/13 departure on Wednesday. I'm bringing my infant daughter, and I just called the Marriott residence Inn and they said still no power and no idea when coming back online. I'm thinking maybe best to just cancel the trip. I don't want to show up and 1. find out I have no room, or 2. have no power with a baby there.

You might be interested in Christa's posts about the Residence: They told her they must Cx her 12 rooms! She moved to the port Marriot Residence. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2541402&page=4 post 62

You might be interested in Christa's posts about the Residence: They told her they must Cx her 12 rooms! She moved to the port Marriot Residence. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2541402&page=4 post 62

I'm already at the Residence Inn Ft. Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port, she's talking about the one on the Intracoastal. I originally had a room at the Renaissance on the intracoastal, but it is currently closed due to floodiing.

I should have just booked flights in Wednesday morning, but I was afraid that we could miss the ship if there was any flight delay or took longer than usual to get to the port. Last I read, the PE could open up at any time. If it's not open by this evening I'm just going to rebook.

I know there's a lot of talk about ports and mainland Florida (totally understandable), but please keep the Keys in your thoughts. I'm starting to see pictures and videos from the islands hardest hit, and they are devastating. Here's a good site with some videos. Summerland/Cudjoe Keys were my home for 20 years, so it breaks my heart to watch these.

www.stormchasingvideo.com

I know there's a lot of talk about ports and mainland Florida (totally understandable), but please keep the Keys in your thoughts. I'm starting to see pictures and videos from the islands hardest hit, and they are devastating. Here's a good site with some videos. Summerland/Cudjoe Keys were my home for 20 years, so it breaks my heart to watch these.

Have you heard anything about the pier? I wonder if it will be clear for Empress to get in there with supplies.

Those videos are awful. I don't know how people could have stayed, it must have been so scary to listen to all the noises, let alone worry about the storm surge.:(

This is so heartbreaking and so hard to watch. I'm so sorry for everyone that's going through this, not only in the keys, but all of the affected areas.

I noted that there was no mention in the article about the status of the return of cruise ships to Port Everglades.

From the Miami Herald:

While MIA is optimistic they can partially reopen starting Tuesday, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport’s timetable is in limbo.

“That’s the million dollar question right now,” said FLL spokesperson Greg Meyer. “We do not know what time or day we will open.”

Another concern is the airport is facing is the four cruise ships docking at Port Everglades on Tuesday.

“We are in communications with Port Everglades, not directly with the cruise ships. But they all know our concerns and our challenges,” Meyer said. “We want to make sure that what they don’t do is come to port and then unload all those passengers, bring them to the airport when we don’t have the aircraft to take them home.”

Have you heard anything about the pier? I wonder if it will be clear for Empress to get in there with supplies.

Those videos are awful. I don't know how people could have stayed, it must have been so scary to listen to all the noises, let alone worry about the storm surge.:(

From what I hear, the pier is ok. Key West was on the good side of the eye, so took little damage (relatively). Problem is, the buoys are off station. The Captain of the Port won't be able to re-open the port until the USCG is able to get out and reposition all the aids to navigation. That might take a while. I wouldn't expect a cruise ship to port there for a couple weeks, at least.

From the Miami Herald:

While MIA is optimistic they can partially reopen starting Tuesday, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport’s timetable is in limbo.

“That’s the million dollar question right now,” said FLL spokesperson Greg Meyer. “We do not know what time or day we will open.”

Another concern is the airport is facing is the four cruise ships docking at Port Everglades on Tuesday.

“We are in communications with Port Everglades, not directly with the cruise ships. But they all know our concerns and our challenges,” Meyer said. “We want to make sure that what they don’t do is come to port and then unload all those passengers, bring them to the airport when we don’t have the aircraft to take them home.”

You appear to have a slight agenda in pasting this repeatedly while not acknowledging that it's outdated info and FLL has tweeted it's opening at 4am tomorrow.

You appear to have a slight agenda in pasting this repeatedly while not acknowledging that it's outdated info and FLL has tweeted it's opening at 4am tomorrow.

My agenda is to point out that the airport reopening does not mean that commercial flights will be operating a normal schedule.

At this point it is unknown if there will be sufficient flights with space for the returning cruise passengers to fly home.

From what I hear, the pier is ok. Key West was on the good side of the eye, so took little damage (relatively). Problem is, the buoys are off station. The Captain of the Port won't be able to re-open the port until the USCG is able to get out and reposition all the aids to navigation. That might take a while. I wouldn't expect a cruise ship to port there for a couple weeks, at least.

That's too bad. I saw were there was another Empress sailing cancelled with hope of Empress getting into Key West with humanitarian aid. I know Adventure was allowed into St Martin to bring supplies and evacuate people. Hopefully, once buoys are repositioned, Empress can get in with aid.:)

Yes, because the company did not deliver the product that was purchased. Why it could not deliver does not matter.

If you had paid in advance for a hotel that is now closed because of the storm, you would get a 100% refund. They would not say you should not have booked with them during hurricane season.

You are referring to a "refund"... getting your money back because no product was delivered.

I'm referring to people seeking special reimbursement on top of their refund. I contend that it isn't a business's responsibility to give customers money because of a weather event. A refund, yes. Additional money, no. The business is already enduring more inconvenience than the customer. A customer expecting extra bennies is symbolic of feeling entitled.

A cruiseline who gives extras to placate people is very, very generous. So those customers receiving something-for-nothing from the cruiseline should feel (and express) tremendous gratitude.

Harmony is supposed to dock tomorrow at 6:00am pending USCG approval of the opening of Port Everglades. Captain usually makes an announcement around 6pm so hopefully we will have definitive word then.

Get that. Talking about deporting or sail away. If people can't fly in, how do they cruise. I know locals not affected by the storm might have easy access.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's too bad. I saw were there was another Empress sailing cancelled with hope of Empress getting into Key West with humanitarian aid. I know Adventure was allowed into St Martin to bring supplies and evacuate people. Hopefully, once buoys are repositioned, Empress can get in with aid.:)

I wonder when Empress will Port in Cuba?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums