Question on room temps from a hot lady

2Oldpeopleinlove

No, not nearly as exciting as it sounds. But given that I am usually too warm in a "room temperature" room, say 68-70 degrees F, and given that this is our first cruise, I would love to have some information to help me pack for comfort.

We are taking the Canada/New England cruise on the Gem next week. Weather should be perfect for us outside, but how are the rooms, both cabins and public rooms? Do the cabins have adjustable controls? Can they be kept fairly cool, like around 62-65?

Are the public rooms generally kept fairly cool?

Thanks very much for whatever you can tell me to help me pack well.

The cabin thermostat will shut off when you take your key card out and leave. Any card with a magnetic strip will keep the thermostat and power outlets on. We bring our old key cards from previous cruises with us to keep the room cool, and electronics charged.

Your own cabin - it should have an adjustable control. I know my cabin does when I went on the NCL Breakaway. The only thing I know that NCL Breakaway have that NCL Gem does not have is the holder for the light to stay on in the cabin where a person can use a old plastic card to put into the slot so the light would stay on.

Public Rooms would be okay. If you are hot, you can wear like short sleeves or tank top shirts.

The cabin thermostat will shut off when you take your key card out and leave. Any card with a magnetic strip will keep the thermostat and power outlets on. We bring our old key cards from previous cruises with us to keep the room cool, and electronics charged.

I heard that this only works for newer NCL cruise ships & it would not work on NCL gem as one of their representative told me. Unless she provided me this wrong information and if you had cruised on NCL gem after the new changes.

I generally find the public spaces to be too cold and the rooms to be too warm.

The cabins have adjustable controls but don't get very cool. Ours has a normal thermostat and then a cooling button that was supposed to briefly turn the A/C on at a higher rate. We had to do 2-3 cycles of the extra cooling cycle to get the room tolerable at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think the NCL GEM has the thermostats like the new -AWAY class ships with the key card

turning the temperature on and off and shutting down the ventilation and electric outlets on leaving.

With the older fleet ships - open a door or a balcony door and the thermostat shuts off no keying around.

Leave the cabin and all the electrics and ventilation remain on and active.

This may have changed if during Dry Dock an upgrade was done to the cabin features ?

Only suggestion for clothing is wear in layers and have the last layer being a water/moisture proof slicker.

Too much to consider pack a foldable poncho - bumber shoots (umbrellas) are a cumbersome last resort !

Weather I had last year end of September-early October was 5 Star Perfect ! Wish you the same !

No, not nearly as exciting as it sounds. But given that I am usually too warm in a "room temperature" room, say 68-70 degrees F, and given that this is our first cruise, I would love to have some information to help me pack for comfort.

We are taking the Canada/New England cruise on the Gem next week. Weather should be perfect for us outside, but how are the rooms, both cabins and public rooms? Do the cabins have adjustable controls? Can they be kept fairly cool, like around 62-65?

Are the public rooms generally kept fairly cool?

Thanks very much for whatever you can tell me to help me pack well.

Short answer is that unless it is really cool outside you are not going to be able to get your cabin below about 68 degrees. Interior temps will be around 72 degrees throughout the entire ship, maybe even a little warmer.

Each time on the dawn in balconies we could get the room as cold as we liked it no problem. The last 2 times on the dawn in ocean view and insides from Boston in cool months the ac seemed to be shut off until we got to warmer outside temps. Wasn't very happy about that. The. Room at night seemed way to hot for us. I will bring a fan next time.

Thanks for your kind replies. I'm certainly glad I asked. It's been unusually cool for late August in Syracuse, and we're loving it. Sounds as if I'll need summer nightgowns on board.

Are "summer nightgowns" no nightgowns?

We've been on the Gem a couple times and obviously things can vary but I'm kind of like you as far as temperature goes. We found the Gem to be very comfortable and cool throughout the ship inside.

Rooms I'd say min would be able to get to would be 68.