Unpaid Auto-gratuities reimbursed by the cruise line?

drsel

Astounding, isn't it? And he prefers to be complicit in that employee's dishonesty and deceit by surreptitiously slipping the employee a cash tip to be hidden from his employer rather than to insist that the employee he is relying on for servicing his needs conducts himself in an honest manner. Anyone who deliberately helps employees cheat their employer and fellow workers has a serious ethics and morality problem. :rolleyes:

You can call me what enters your mind, but I don't believe you are interpreting my posts properly.

Accusations mean nothing unless you can substantiate them.

You make a lot of smoke, but no fire.

So, I assume you take this stance because you remove the DSC and give cash tips? Yes, either the crew member can violate their contract and jeopardize their job to clear an extra $100 - looking like a poor employee in the process for receiving no tips - or they can not. What difference does it make to you? Really not sure why it's so important to you to push this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You ASSUME..... Vivid imagination.

If you read my posts, you wouldn't have to ASSUME.

You could also use the ignore function.

Edited by swedish weave

Go back and read some of your posts where you say they lie and throw away gifts. POT CALLING KETTLE BLACK !!

You say crew only want MONEY, but why would they if they don't get to keep it. At least, they don't have to give the gifts to the company to distribute at management discretion.

Double standards, and you support that.

And Kettle, I believe you berated me for it and now you are saying the same thing, now that is a double standard.

You can call me what enters your mind, but I don't believe you are interpreting my posts properly.

Accusations mean nothing unless you can substantiate them.

You make a lot of smoke, but no fire.

Go over this thread and try to find anyone who agrees with you. You won't be able to. There have been many people on dozens of tipping threads who have presented all the information you demand, yet you turn a blind eye, apparently for your own convenience. We have even had experts describing the process. What more "substantiation" do you need?

You wouldn't know the facts no matter how often they are presented. Reasoning with you is like trying to push a rope uphill. :rolleyes:

You would still be here pushing your debunked theories. Someone needs to warn new readers about your blatantly false information.

Your definition of false information defies logic.

You have furnished nothing but rhetoric, so until you can support your comments, I will dismiss your comments as FLUFF.

Ok. I think my post was mis-interpreted. I am in no way assuming the crew are liars or violating their contract. The post I quoted implied crew tipped directly would keep the money since no one would know. I was pointing out that IF they did that they would be violating their contract and jeopardizing their job over a relatively small amount of money. I doubt many would, but if they did, the tipper would never know and frankly it shouldn't matter to them.

I personally work in a job that creates easy opportunities for theft. We are well screened before we are hired and well compensated. Every once in awhile someone takes advantage and is caught, fired, and prosecuted. But for a vast vast majority of us, no amount of money is worth the job we would lose. Ethical and integrity issues aside.

I doubt it's different for the crew. If they make $3,000 a month over a 3 month contract - they would be risking $9,000 plus future work over a $100 tip. Silly

Edited by sanger727

DH and I have 3 cruises booked for the coming months. All have prepaid grats but we always tip extra to those who take care of us on our cruise. Our stewards have told us on several cruises they are able to call home to their families and buy essentials during the cruise because of the extra tips. The base rate paid to them is less than McDonalds pays for flipping burgers! For us tipping those who added to our enjoyment is part of the cruise experience. JMO

Sent from my iPad using Forums

it also allows the line to shift the onus of reducing crew wages due to poor performance from the line to the passengers "hey, we didn't reduce your wages, blame the passengers who removed the DSC".

On the last day, some prodigal passengers who have been splurging, suddenly realize that their dues have crossed $5000. They then rush to Guest Services in a desperate attempt to try to reduce their bill, (you must have seen the queues on the last evening! )

Then out of desperation, they remove the only item on the bill that can be removed. You know what.

In such a case, why should the hard working crew be penalized for no fault of theirs?

Why the need to pay from their own pocket (as CHPURSER mentioned), in order to protect their job?

I like numbers and just to give you a round about example, RC Freedom of the Seas between all the stateroom including the suites at an average of $13.50 pp for inside to balcony and $16.50 pp for suites gratuities is a minimum of around $52,900.

That divided by 1300 crew members only equals out to about $40.00 extra a week for each crew member. That's not even a $1.00 more an hour because they put in more then 40 hours a week. That is not a lot of extra money for the services they provide us. So before you take away your gratuities remember this.

Happy cruising everyone. [emoji568]

Please show your work . . . something ain't right with your example.

Tip pool according to you is, about $100 pp per week.

Your example tip pool is $53000/$100 pp tip = 530 pax.

Boat must be bigger than that to justify 1300 in tip pool.

Another reality check.

The tips from every cabin on every cruise are carefully tracked by the cruise line and the employees. Daily updated reports on tips are distributed to all departments.

Cruise ship employees do everything as a team.

Each team member is evaluated by the amount of pooled tips generated by that crew member. Poor performers are quickly weeded out.

When a pax removes or decreases the auto-tip, everyone wants to know why this happened. They are all losing money in the tip pool.

If the crew member responsible for the pax who have removed the tips can come up with a cash tip received instead, he is forgiven. If he doesn't produce a cash tip, his future with the company is in jeopardy.

Crew members who get stiffed on the auto tip often take cash out of their pockets and put it in the tip pool, in order to protect their job.

Thank you CHPURSER. What you describe is what many people have been trying to convince the doubters on this, and numerous other threads. Those of us with common sense and an attitude of wanting to be fair to our hardworking service staff instead of stiffing them, appreciate your confirming how the process works. Of course, there will be some who will not believe you, one in particular who has posted often on this, and many other, threads. Fortunately, the vast majority of cruisers are good people and do the right thing. Those who don't do the right thing know exactly what they are doing - putting themselves first at the expense of those hardworking people who take good care of us. Shame on them.

The tips from every cabin on every cruise are carefully tracked by the cruise line and the employees. Daily updated reports on tips are distributed to all departments.

Cruise ship employees do everything as a team.

Each team member is evaluated by the amount of pooled tips generated by that crew member. Poor performers are quickly weeded out.

When a pax removes or decreases the auto-tip, everyone wants to know why this happened. They are all losing money in the tip pool.

If the crew member responsible for the pax who have removed the tips can come up with a cash tip received instead, he is forgiven. If he doesn't produce a cash tip, his future with the company is in jeopardy.

Crew members who get stiffed on the auto tip often take cash out of their pockets and put it in the tip pool, in order to protect their job.

That last bit is new to me; thanks for sharing it with us! It even more thoroughly puts to bed the notion that tipping in cash has any benefit for the crew member.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Edited by bUU

Hopefully with your knowledge as well, will put all of this to rest with the true facts, instead of people's opinions.