When Should Cruise Docs & Airline Tickets Arrive? Booked with Uniworld

Roz

OK, I went to the Air Canada website, and they want $15 or $30 to pick a seat. You've got to be kidding me! Called my TA and she confirmed this. I can wait until the 24 hr check in and take what's left for free.

If I do that, does it make me more likely to be bumped in the event of an overbooked situation? I'm just appalled by this whole deal. I thought I was purchasing a seat, not the opportunity to bid on a seat for an extra fee.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

Air Canada charges for seat selection prior to check-in only for its least expensive fare class, which is obviously what Uniworld has chosen for you. (AC has five different economy fare classes. In addition, Uniworld is probably using "net" or wholesale fares to keep their costs down). However, as Mark T noted, I wouldn't be concerned about being bumped.

Many thanks to Gnome, Mark, and Laverendrye. You've all been a wealth of information and I appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed answers. This stuff is complicated and I'm learning a lot. I feel better now.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

"Outbound I'm flying on Air Canada, but coming back it's United."

I, personally, always make sure I have a locator for both airlines. Not sure if you booked each ticket separately or the entire flight selection through Air Canada. If you only have one locator, say for Air Canada, you can call Air Canada and ask for the United locator and vice versa.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a locator?

Your PNR or 'record locator' is the 6 character code that the airlines assign to you for your reservation, it usually both letters and numbers.

Where the flights are provided by different airlines you may have more than one PNR even if all flights are on a single ticket.

So the PRN that Air Canada use will reference all the flights on your ticket on their system, but to allow United to find your reservation, they may need their own PNR.

Air Canada should be able to tell you what the United PRN is for your flights if United can't recognise the Air Canada PNR...

Thanks, Mark. That's the number I used to find my booking on the Air Canada website. Didn't know it was called a locator. Westerngardener, there is a separate number for the 3 flights coming back on United.

All I want to do is take a river cruise and it's become so complicated. I feel like I can't even get off the ground. :loudcry:

Roz

The locator is important if you want to check in online or do advance seat selection. At the airport they will find you.

I flew once from Toronto to La Guardia on Westjet and Delta and discovered the issue with the second locator for the flight operated by an airline different from the one that it is ticketed on. Now I have learned to look for it. Flying is more complicated than it used to be, but it also allows us to use frequent flier points on partner airlines and that is a real advantage. Once you get checked in, everything usually goes very smoothly.

Thanks, Mark. That's the number I used to find my booking on the Air Canada website. Didn't know it was called a locator. Westerngardener, there is a separate number for the 3 flights coming back on United.

All I want to do is take a river cruise and it's become so complicated. I feel like I can't even get off the ground. :loudcry:

Roz

I know the feeling Roz, we will be flying for the first time in over 30 years in May....reading this thread has been helpful, and I am glad I have a TA who is very used to all my questions, as I figure when we book our air, she is going to get a lot!

Hope your cruise goes smoothly.

Thanks Gnome and Daisi.

Now I understand the reluctance on the part of older people to fly. Some people don't use computers or smartphones, and I'm not sure how they would deal with all this.

Roz

Thanks Gnome and Daisi.

Now I understand the reluctance on the part of older people to fly. Some people don't use computers or smartphones, and I'm not sure how they would deal with all this.

Roz

I've pretty well figured out travel websites using a computer but, if you throw in anything complicated, I'm at a loss. I do, however, rather enjoy looking for 'deals' on the internet and haven't used a travel agent in several years. I've learned a lot over the years by reading various sites similar to Cruise Critic. Smartphones are a totally different matter, and I don't even text!:eek: and for that matter, don't own a Smartphone. Good luck Roz, you'll be fine. ;)

I bought my first smart phone in 2013. The same day I activated it, I also did my Federal taxes online and filed electronically. By the end of the day, I thought my head was going to spin off its axis! :mad: I literally had to take some Advil and lie down.

Roz

My parents and all their friends have smart phones & computers.... my parents even run a website. Even my Grandmother had a computer...and you were in trouble if you didn't answer her e-mails the same day she sent them out!

I do all my planning online, but figure a TA has more knowledge as to booking etc, so since this is our first time overseas, we are using one. We also got a discount using a TA, as she had been on our cruise so knew on board credit probably wouldn't be required. I booked our hotel for the pre/post cruise as using my points, I got a better deal than she could, and I have our days all planned out so no matter what weather we get, we will have something to do. Sometimes it's just easier to let someone else look after things they know about vs me trying to figure out when to book flights/train trips.

Daisi, I use a TA for all my cruises. When I took my first river cruise in 2015, my TA arranged a great pre-cruise for me in Budapest. I could have never done it on my own. Everything worked seamlessly. As a solo female traveler, I need and appreciate a little hand holding.

Roz

I don't use my phone as a phone, nor do I text. But for maps and navigation it is wonderful. I also read on it, so I don't have to carry a book with me.

Lol, we're the same. We have pay-as-you-go, but wifi is great for keeping up with family when traveling. My phone was bought unlocked for our upcoming cruise (I think my DH wanted to upgrade his as he gets my of one) and I will be getting a sim when we get to Holland for our cruise. Now I am trying to think of how to get him to want my new phone.....the 8 will be out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol, we're the same. We have pay-as-you-go, but wifi is great for keeping up with family when traveling. My phone was bought unlocked for our upcoming cruise (I think my DH wanted to upgrade his as he gets my of one) and I will be getting a sim when we get to Holland for our cruise. Now I am trying to think of how to get him to want my new phone.....the 8 will be out soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't even have a pay as you go.........mine is an old Flip Phone.........as for traveling? I just returned from a 2 week trip.........9 nights on a cruise from Barcelona to Rome.......the phone stayed in my cabin/hotel room.( I have a sister

and bil here at home) that is the extent of reachable family.....if it was an emergency I would pay whatever the cost

and use the flip phone to make the call.

Of course, if I had a "modern one" I might have used it but I just don't care enough to go find a new one.