Canada/New England Cruise - Foliage?

We are thinking about taking a 5 night cruise from Boston in September 2018. It has two stops, Halifax, NS and Saint Johns (New Brunswick). The reason for the cruise is to see the fall foliage. We are taking our 79 year old mother and also a 3 year old toddler (ages at time of cruise). We had considered a road trip, but I'm afraid that would be too much riding for a toddler plus trying to get naps in and early bedtimes. Then we thought of a cruise. Naps wouldn't interrupt anyone's schedule and there would be more to do. And no unpacking and repacking. It seems like a great alternative but I am wondering if we will really see much foliage this way. Has anyone been on this cruise at this time of year? I would appreciate any advice! Thanks so much!

Foliage is a bit unpredictable in terms of when it will peak in a given location, but peak color will move from north to south. At about the third week of September you might expect to see color along your itinerary - the peak will still be north of Boston but Halifax may not be at peak yet. You'd have a better chance if you went all the way to Quebec but it will be difficult even a couple of months out to predict which port you might want to rent a car in to drive for foliage.

I generally assume northern New England will peak some time in the first half of October. I grew up in Vermont but haven't lived there in decades.

OP - when in September is this cruise?

Fall foliage is hard to predict but there are a couple of trees starting to turn here already. I suspect it's due to lack of water more than the time of year though. We haven't had enough frost yet to start them.

It may be possible that in this area (near Saint John) the leaves turn sooner due to the dry summer we have had.

By the way, the port of Saint John welcomes cruise visitors in a big way and very well. It's very popular with curise passengers :).

Actually you will be visiting Saint John---no "s". St. John's is in Newfoundland. That is especially important if you are renting a car. You could arrive here and find that your car is waiting for you in Newfoundland. It has happened.

I live in Saint John and generally speaking, the peak time for fall foliage is around October 10th. That is not to say there won't be some lovely vistas near the end of September. The length of time the fall foliage season lasts is sometimes affected by the tail end of a hurricane that comes up the coast. That can bring an earlier end to the colourful displays.

I hope you enjoy your stay in our city. However you will have to get outside the city to really appreciate the foliage.

As Kazu has said, we welcome our cruise visitors, beginning with the volunteer greeters to answer questions and point you in the right direction. We have two lovely purpose built cruise terminals that are really the nicest we have seen anywhere we have cruised. They are used for community events in the off season.

Is this a Holland America cruise? I don't see any 5 day cruises scheduled for that time.

Sorry, somehow I picked the wrong place to post. It's on Royal Caribbean. I think that's it. We do have one other option that works for our group and that is a 4 day cruise beginning Oct 9 that only stops in Saint John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but fall foliage may depend upon Tropical Storm Jose and where Hurricane Maria tracks.

We have a lot of red trees in our area right now and those leaves will fall early if winds are high (some have started already).

The end of October we are raking generaly speaking. (New Brunswick) And waiting for the Linden to drop it's leaves ;)

There is an end of October cruise - Oct 20-27, 2018. How is foliage then? In Boston? Also in Nova Scotia and other ports?

It's pretty much all over by the end of October, even in southern New England. There may still be some leaves on the trees, but they will just be brown and ready to drop.

It's also likely to get cold at the northern end of that cruise.

I would hope the price of a NE/Canada cruise that late would be quite low, as this is really too late in the season.

Your best bet is a cruise that stops in Sydney. While fall colour moves from North to South, it also moves from highland to lowland. By going to Sydney it's an easy drive toward Baddeck and the entrance to the Cabot Trail. If the leaves haven't yet turned at lower altitudes, they might well have done at higher ones.

Cape Breton offers higher elevations than anywhere else in the Maritimes, and thus a greater likelihood of encountering colour over a wider range of weeks.