Newbie question - Booking shore excursions direct or via cruise line

PGammage

I am due to cruise the Inside Passage with NCL this month on the Jewel. It will be my first cruise and first time to Alaska and I am really looking forward to it :D. I am a solo traveller and happy to make my own arrangements so have been looking at shore excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria.

So 2 questions for veterans or experienced cruisers who might help me make the most of my trip:

1. Should I book excursions through the cruise line - They do have a good choice, however the prices seem quite high by comparison with direct online bookings (my booking is in £ GBP so excursions are booked in GBP also and seem almost double the $US equivalent)

2. What must see/do excursions would you recommend (please only recommend if you have done the excursion)

Happy to be PM'd if there's anything you'd prefer

Having sailed on the Jewel last year, I would say there is one one "must do" excursion: the small catamaran boat ride in either Tracy Arm or Endicott Arm (your captain will decide which one) that goes to the glacier. It's expensive (249 USD last year), but you cannot book it independently because the catamaran departs right from the ship. We got much closer to the glacier than the ship did, and we stopped for a while because we had a close view of a pod of orcas. We also went very close to the shore to view beautiful waterfalls up close. Do not miss this excursion.

I now book all of our excursions independently using CC or TA reviews to help me decide. Other than the cost savings, not being part of the typical cattle car herd is a great benefit. Juneau - whale watching with a side trip to Mendenhall. Skagway - Yukon Bus and Rail. Victoria - have yet to find anything that excites me there.

We book all of our excursions independently. We do our research so we know we are going with someone reliable. The tour operators know when the ships get in port and when they leave port. They will wait for you if you are late getting off the ship and they will have you back in time before your ship departs. Cruise ship passengers are their livelihood and if they cause you to miss the ship, their reputation will be ruined and they will be out of business.

We book all of our excursions independently. We do our research so we know we are going with someone reliable. The tour operators know when the ships get in port and when they leave port. They will wait for you if you are late getting off the ship and they will have you back in time before your ship departs. Cruise ship passengers are their livelihood and if they cause you to miss the ship, their reputation will be ruined and they will be out of business.

I agree. Most of the descriptions I've seen on the cruise line excursion pages includes something about being left behind if the independents don't get you back on time. You can easily search on here for how many times that has happened.

I've only been on one cruise ever and it was 10 days to Alaska last year on NCL Pearl. I did all of my own arranging of excursions with info I predominantly found here on Cruise Critic. On each one I saved money. A great option for Skagway is Dyea Dave Tours. Very personal service and small groups. We combined a road trip to Emerald Lake with a return trip from Fraser BC on the White Pass railroad - Dave picked us up that morning at the dock, saw that we were on the train and the met us again at the train in Skagway for a ride back to the ship or wherever else in town we wanted to go. (Town is not that big nor that far from the ships...)

You'll have a great time no matter what you do! Good luck!

Newbie for Alaska too. In my research in the excursions I'm interested in, there's not that much of a difference in price, if any. And I've also found that some of the tours direct you to book through the cruise lines.

Newbie for Alaska too. In my research in the excursions I'm interested in, there's not that much of a difference in price, if any. And I've also found that some of the tours direct you to book through the cruise lines.

Naxer, are you in the US? If so I'd understand if the prices are similar, however as I'm in the UK and cruise booking is in £ GBP, any excursions must also be booked in £ GBP and in most cases the £ price is £1 for $1 so a shore excursion which might be $100 for you is £100 for me (given £ to $ exchange means I am paying over $130)

First determine what YOUR interests are and what YOU want out of your Alaska visit. There are hundreds of tours to choose from and more "musts" than you can do in 10 trips. Since you have looked at your shore excursion list. List those tours of interest and ask specific questions you have about them. I agree, you want first had reports, I find that sometimes, over looked with responses. :)

With independent bookings- always inform the vendor your port times, and go with their schedule recommendation. You don't hear of people missing ships, and frankly- it's their own fault if they do. :)

Established vendors know what they are doing, You are dealing with high US business standards. Even thought their may not be big differences in prices between cruise booked and independent, there can be huge differences in the tour. An excellent example is the train/road combos in Skagway. Far superior independent in most cases.

As mentioned, assuiing you have Tracy Arm on your itinerary? I'd also suggest considering the add on SHIP tour, (no independent option available). This transit is grossly superior to the cruise ship. "Necessary" for those with a glacier priority in my opinion. :)

First determine what YOUR interests are and what YOU want out of your Alaska visit. There are hundreds of tours to choose from and more "musts" than you can do in 10 trips. Since you have looked at your shore excursion list. List those tours of interest and ask specific questions you have about them. I agree, you want first had reports, I find that sometimes, over looked with responses. :)

With independent bookings- always inform the vendor your port times, and go with their schedule recommendation. You don't hear of people missing ships, and frankly- it's their own fault if they do. :)

Established vendors know what they are doing, You are dealing with high US business standards. Even thought their may not be big differences in prices between cruise booked and independent, there can be huge differences in the tour. An excellent example is the train/road combos in Skagway. Far superior independent in most cases.

As mentioned, assuiing you have Tracy Arm on your itinerary? I'd also suggest considering the add on SHIP tour, (no independent option available). This transit is grossly superior to the cruise ship. "Necessary" for those with a glacier priority in my opinion. :)

We booked through the cruise line due to the fact that they will hold the ship as long as they can if you are on their tour. Case in point, our bus got a flat tire in Skagway and even though that did not make us late, the train came in after the all aboard time and the ship was held since it was through the cruise line. We were the last group to board before sailing. I heard, but cannot confirm that a gentleman missed the ship in Juneau due to a late ride on the Mount Roberts Tramway. [emoji47] We also got into Victoria 6 hours late due to a medical emergency detour and our excursion was refunded by NCL. If this was booked directly I am not so sure it would have been refunded.

Barb

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Budget Queen,

Thanks - for the information, cruising and Alaska is new to me so lots of research being done :D. My priorities are wildlife and scenery. Having reviewed loads of travel sites and tours available I have identified the following:

Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear watch by plane

Juneau - Whale watching

Skagway - White Pass railway

Victoria - Orca's

I'd like to get some glacier time, however in port times might restrict unless I can do a combination tour (ie whales & glacier)

We booked through the cruise line due to the fact that they will hold the ship as long as they can if you are on their tour. Case in point, our bus got a flat tire in Skagway and even though that did not make us late, the train came in after the all aboard time and the ship was held since it was through the cruise line. We were the last group to board before sailing. I heard, but cannot confirm that a gentleman missed the ship in Juneau due to a late ride on the Mount Roberts Tramway. [emoji47] We also got into Victoria 6 hours late due to a medical emergency detour and our excursion was refunded by NCL. If this was booked directly I am not so sure it would have been refunded.

Barb

Since My Roberts tram is something that is a 2 minute walk from most of the docks and something easy to do on your own, getting stranded due to that was probably just poor judgement on the man's part, not something a ship's excursion would help.

As far as deviations in ship arrival, I don't know about Victoria, but most excursions that I looked at in Alaska said they would refund if ship arrival was cancelled or delayed to late to make the tour.

I was particularly looking for that as our ship in the Mediterranean earlier this year cancelled a port due to weather and instead stayed overnight in another port. For a few hours, it was possible that we would be out the money for the independent excursion we had booked. We were able to work with the vendor & others on the excursion for transportation from the other port.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Since My Roberts tram is something that is a 2 minute walk from most of the docks and something easy to do on your own, getting stranded due to that was probably just poor judgement on the man's part, not something a ship's excursion would help.

As far as deviations in ship arrival, I don't know about Victoria, but most excursions that I looked at in Alaska said they would refund if ship arrival was cancelled or delayed to late to make the tour.

I was particularly looking for that as our ship in the Mediterranean earlier this year cancelled a port due to weather and instead stayed overnight in another port. For a few hours, it was possible that we would be out the money for the independent excursion we had booked. We were able to work with the vendor & others on the excursion for transportation from the other port.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

That is great about refunding due to late or cancelled. I was not sure of policy regarding this. No matter how an excursion is booked, it will be memorable!!

That is great about refunding due to late or cancelled. I was not sure of policy regarding this. No matter how an excursion is booked, it will be memorable!!

Note that I didn't say that all tours had this. Just that many did. You would need to check for the policy on each tour you were booking. It is often in the FAQ's for the tour or look for the cancellation policy. For example, here is the FAQ for Chilikoot Charters which covers this:

https://chilkootcharters.com/faqs/#nofollow

Barb

I have experienced a flat tire on the Klondike Highway as well. Guess what-? I simply, got on a bus that stopped and rode back with them. This is STANDARD with this highway. Sorry, your claim of the ship "waiting", means little. It's simple to get touring, with conservative schedules and getting back to the ship with independent bookings too. . There aren't reports of people missing ships due to going on tours independently. Have you seen any?

Sorry but being that poster walked up to the tram, you are using as an example with Mt Roberts?? this clearly is that person's fault. Nobody else's Not sure what you are trying to show?

Facts- in Alaska, booking independent has no more risk then booking ship tours. I gave some details in the above post-

But certainly cruise line bookings work well too. So there is something for everyone. And most important to go with your choices. But, being factual about the actual details is essental as well.

I have experienced a flat tire on the Klondike Highway as well. Guess what-? I simply, got on a bus that stopped and rode back with them. This is STANDARD with this highway. Sorry, your claim of the ship "waiting", means little. It's simple to get touring, with conservative schedules and getting back to the ship with independent bookings too. . There aren't reports of people missing ships due to going on tours independently. Have you seen any?

Sorry but being that poster walked up to the tram, you are using as an example with Mt Roberts?? this clearly is that person's fault. Nobody else's Not sure what you are trying to show?

Facts- in Alaska, booking independent has no more risk then booking ship tours. I gave some details in the above post-

But certainly cruise line bookings work well too. So there is something for everyone. And most important to go with your choices. But, being factual about the actual details is essental as well.

Sorry if my post came off as negative, it was not intended that way. Just stated what we did since it was our first to AK (not first cruise). The comment about someone reportedly being left behind due to the tramway was meant to call attention that ships will not wait if you are not back and not on a ship's excursion. There are plenty of reports out there first hand that it does happen.

To each his own when booking. I think people ask the questions here to get all types of opinions and experiences. [emoji3]

Happy cruising!!

. The comment about someone reportedly being left behind due to the tramway was meant to call attention that ships will not wait if you are not back and not on a ship's excursion. There are plenty of reports out there first hand that it does happen.

I'll ask you again- WHERE are these "left behind" reports you are claiming??? Sorry, being I have been sailing for over 20 years in Alaska, you are wrong. You do NOT see any reports of independent tours leaving people behind. I can't even recall of single episode. You need to back up this claim you are making. And sorry your Mt Roberts "example" as I already post does NOT quality. That person, didn't know how to tell time and is completely responsible for missing a ship- nobody else.

Budget Queen,

Thanks - for the information, cruising and Alaska is new to me so lots of research being done :D. My priorities are wildlife and scenery. Having reviewed loads of travel sites and tours available I have identified the following:

Ketchikan - Neets Bay Bear watch by plane

Juneau - Whale watching

Skagway - White Pass railway

Victoria - Orca's

I'd like to get some glacier time, however in port times might restrict unless I can do a combination tour (ie whales & glacier)

When are you going? In Skagway there are several train combo options that also could be of interest? Certainly they offer more. You would need to consider one, if you want to get into the Yukon.

Victoria is not 100% for orcas, like Juneau is for humpbacks. So be prepared for no sightings. Unfortunately, add to the mix usually the Victoria wilate watches are shorter from a cruise ship than the standard. Less time equals less distance and sighting opportunities. When I want orca watching I park myself on Vancouver Island and go out for days. I am fortunate as the vendotr's I use, tell me, if there's going to be sightings and allow me to not go out. The know before they even go if they will be seen or not. There are spotters who reports several times per day so they know where the pods are. I've sat there with no viewing for as long as 4 days. Orcas have hundreds of miles of range. Overall, there are more sightings than not. so keep your fingers crossed and I wish you good sightings. :)

I agree. Most of the descriptions I've seen on the cruise line excursion pages includes something about being left behind if the independents don't get you back on time. You can easily search on here for how many times that has happened.

I've only been on one cruise ever and it was 10 days to Alaska last year on NCL Pearl. I did all of my own arranging of excursions with info I predominantly found here on Cruise Critic. On each one I saved money. A great option for Skagway is Dyea Dave Tours. Very personal service and small groups. We combined a road trip to Emerald Lake with a return trip from Fraser BC on the White Pass railroad - Dave picked us up that morning at the dock, saw that we were on the train and the met us again at the train in Skagway for a ride back to the ship or wherever else in town we wanted to go. (Town is not that big nor that far from the ships...)

You'll have a great time no matter what you do! Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it comes to who you book with there is no answer that works for each and every person or for that matter in every circumstance. We never rule things out. I look at selecting shore excursions as I do selecting which tool to use.

I will look at what the cruise line offers. I will look at what I can do with a private guide. I will look like what I can do on my own. Other factors comes into play including whether it is your first time in Alaska or if you have been there before and if the latter what you have done in the past.

To me it's not black and white and I will always look at all options and not rule anything out.

Thankfully this approach works very well for my wife and myself.

Keith

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this. Leaving in 2 weeks for my first Alaska cruise. One of my "must do" plans was salmon fishing in Ketchikan. Despite my research and multiple calls/emails to multiple salmon charter services in Ketchikan I've had to accept that I may not get to fish. I use a walker so I like to book my own excursions so I'm not having to deal with a bus load of people who think I'm in their way and I am on my own for this, which is what causes the problem... no one will book me solo, they will not add another person to the charter even if there is only a small group already booked and they have room on their boat. I like doing my own excursions but I may have to bite the bullet on this one, book thru the ship and put up with the bus load of people. Anyone had a similar experience and have advice or solutions?

Sent from my iPad using Forums