Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

I thought it sad that RC did this. Sure they did all the "had" to. But really? We sailed during Sandy out of Jersey. On the way back to Jersey we had no idea if we had a vehicle at the pier or a way home to Canada. So we thought maybe we would book an extra week while on board. Thinking they might have a deal as we knew there were lots of cancelations due to the hurricane. But no. For the 3 of us booking on board they wanted $5000 for an extra week. So no way. We took the chance our van worked (thankfully it did) but once we were off the ship in the pre booked hotel I searched for cruises for that week....$700 for all 3. It was too late by then. My inlaws were on the following week and there were several empty cabins. They could have had 3 of us there instead no they want to get the most they can. Sure it is fine to do the minimum required in customer service but there is no harm (in fact you will see the benefits) of going above and beyond for your loyal customers.

And yet so many folks are clamoring for competition to fix these situations they're angry about.

Yes, true competition in the airline industry would be good. But with only four major airlines remaining after these four bought out other airlines, there is no real competition anymore.

Gone are TWA, USAirways, Piedmont, Airtrans, Eastern, Northwest, etc.

When American bought USAirways, they told Congress it would increase competition and Congress bought it. Remember that it was American last year that said they would not lower prices due to lower cost oil but would continue to price flights as if the price of oil remained the same.

First, I don't attack people; I attack what people post. How does your infatuation post fit with your "I don't attack people line"?

I was referring to the FCC related to the inconvenience of a shortened cruise. They provide a prorated refund, and then FCC on top of that as a gift.

The FCC on top of a prorated refund only applies if the passenger goes on the shortened cruise. People who accept the other option only get a FCC. At this point Royal Caribbean is not offering a refund. Granted, it the cruise does end up being cancelled, most likely Royal Caribbean will offer a full refund. We will find out about that later this week.

I could have responded to childish rudeness with childish rudeness in response. Instead, I responded with humor.

Okay, you have a strange sense of humor (and this is coming from someone who also has a strange sense of humor).

Yes, true competition in the airline industry would be good. But with only four major airlines remaining after these four bought out other airlines, there is no real competition anymore. Gone are TWA, USAirways, Piedmont, Airtrans, Eastern, Northwest, etc.
Deregulation led to fewer large airlines. More competition paradoxically led to less competition.

My preferred example is the law regarding being on board an airplane for X amount of time.

A widely publicized case, brought this on, even when the industry pointed out it only happens a few times a year, out of thousands of flights per DAY.

But no, everyone yelled and screamed, so Congress passed a law, requiring the airline to all sorts of things if this were to happen.

So the result is, it doesn't happen now. HOORAY. Except that now, if the airline thinks the flight will push anywhere close to that limit due to weather, they CANCEL THE FLIGHT.

Oh, and since it was canceled due to weather, they owe you NOTHING, except a later flight. NO meals, NO lodging, NOTHING.

That is what regulation does.

And many of those having an issue with how the cruise lines are handling Irma, have NO clue as to their lack of rights in airline travel due to weather delays and cancellations.

I guess really it comes down to personal preference. I have been in this situation both pre and post the regulation change and after spending far more time sitting on the tarmac than it would have taken to my destination, only to have the flight attendants over hours, then a further delay arriving 9 hours late for a 2 hour flight....compared to the very civilized rebooking for the next am that we just experienced. I'll take paying for my overnight and meals(although haven't had to in the past). As an aside AC now offers a sort of insurance for this now called "On my Way". Plus if you book with various credit cards such as our Amex then your travel insurance automatically covers the kind of expenses you refer to.

Pot meet the kettle.

Childish, rude, are just some of the adjectives you have shared about other forum members. Of course for me I get the combined childishly rude and the follow up juvenile disrespect. Gotta love people who are consistent.

Just sayin

JC

Yes, many of us have noticed that. However, since she is always right (just ask her if you need confirmation), there is no use in arguing the subject.

That's nice.

But the Orlando airport is currently closed with no firm schedule to reopen. And once it does reopen, it will be several days until the full commercial schedule will be flying.

So how do you propose that someone who has to fly to Florida for this Wednesday cruise actually get there in time?

The space shuttle has its own runway, and it is much closer to the port that MCO is.

No, this is more like stopping in Dallas and them saying we can't get you there because of a big storm between us and there.

So you don't go now, maybe we can go in two or three days.

And BTW, there is NO refund for not getting you there, as we will get you there eventually.

And NO, we will not provide meals or lodging, as this is a weather delay.

Have a great time, we will call you when we have a seat on a flight going there. And BTW, all the flights over the next 3 days are booked full.

I asked if you would feel the airline made you whole. Your answer seems to be no, you would not feel you had been made whole.

DO SOMETHING NICE FOR OTHERS AND IT MIGHT HELP YOU FEEL BETTER.

On the Royal Caribbean Homepage there is an icon to click that will lead you to a page to contribute to Hurricane Irma relief.

They are matching donations up to $1million.

(I'm sure some of the negative Nellies are eager to type a rebuttal to this post.):cool:

If im one of the "negative nellies", I think it is great that they are doing this, and what NCL and Royal are doing in terms of those who are stranded on the various islands are doing is also terrific.

One can choose to not like certain policies and like others. Each person for themselves can decide what policies will help them determine who to sail with in the future

There is a legal term for this. An item offered for sale, must be capable of doing what it is supposed to do. A car is expected to move under its own power. And cruise ship must be seaworthy, etc.

The term is implied warranty.

Deregulation led to fewer large airlines. More competition paradoxically led to less competition.

So, you are saying the airlines are now de regulated?

So, correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the government regulators approve the combining of the multiple airlines into single airlines. Darn it there are those regulators doing that crazy regulating again. Thank goodness the airline industry is now the virtual model for the free market. I mean it is a true Laissez-faire economic experiment. No trace of regulations in that who industry. Just goes to show you have a bit of competition and the end result is a monopoly.... of course, so far we have only reached oligopoly... but give it more time and we will have justification to regulate those darn capitalistic airlines.....

Neal.... that is sarcasm:evilsmile:

JC

Changes may be allowed, but these days planes are often very close to 100% full and there might not be any seats available on the alternate flights. Might not even be any available seats for days or for even a week.

I checked and flights to FLL from CVG are available this friday and saturday. Not saying they are available from all cities, but they are from here and at a pretty cheap fare - under $150 one way on both Expedia and Delta web sites.

Did their Twitter feed say when commercial flights would actually start and when a full regular schedule will be operated?
I suspect that that would be up the airlines to decide and announce. Currently, AA shows flight 2265 arriving FLL 12:32 PM tomorrow as On time. DL shows flight 239 arriving 9:16 AM tomorrow also as On Time. And UA shows flight 699 arriving FLL 10:59 AM On Schedule.

RC claims they want to keep you safe... How would putting cruise ship passengers in a disaster zone 24 hrs later be the right thing to do....

The right thing to do would be canceling this weeks ships sailings and work with the officials on getting people home and not bringing more tourists in the disaster areas to ship out on their happy vacation while the people around.

The travel insurance group is claiming since we didn't lose $ since RC is giving us a credit for a future cruise.. Probably not going to pay out..

I will be contacting a lawyer and or Talking to the credit card company about a charge back. / Heck I might take to twitter / facebook and contact the local news channel about it..Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

Since we talk care of my Mother in law and her health is declining there will be no 1 week vacations for us in the future past Oct... :(

There will be litigation if the right thing is not done. Plain and simple..

Sadly I now spend my 25th anniversary at home instead of being on Harmony..

As it stands now I cannot find flights to FLL for 9/12 ....

Did their Twitter feed say when commercial flights would actually start and when a full regular schedule will be operated?

I think it depends on the airline. When I was at MCO last week some of the smaller airlines cancelled flights on Thursday and Friday even though the airport was open until Saturday. I just did a search from Boston to FLL and all 4 direct flights are currently cancelled on Thursday. 5 out of 8 connecting flights are scheduled and currently listed as on time though.

I thought it sad that RC did this. Sure they did all the "had" to. But really? We sailed during Sandy out of Jersey. On the way back to Jersey we had no idea if we had a vehicle at the pier or a way home to Canada. So we thought maybe we would book an extra week while on board. Thinking they might have a deal as we knew there were lots of cancelations due to the hurricane. But no. For the 3 of us booking on board they wanted $5000 for an extra week. So no way. We took the chance our van worked (thankfully it did) but once we were off the ship in the pre booked hotel I searched for cruises for that week....$700 for all 3. It was too late by then. My inlaws were on the following week and there were several empty cabins. They could have had 3 of us there instead no they want to get the most they can. Sure it is fine to do the minimum required in customer service but there is no harm (in fact you will see the benefits) of going above and beyond for your loyal customers.

What ship were you on during Sandy? We sailed out of Charleston and I thought all of the ports north of us had closed. I thought we were on the last ship to make it out

The lower cost during hurricane season is due to the risk. People have the option to not book this time of year.

Cruise costs in June, July and August are usually about the highest of the year and this is in hurricane season.

This year there were eight named storms in those three months. None of them affected embarkation ports in Florida.

The lowered cost of cruises in September is because summer vacation time is over and families with children stay home due to school being in session. It is not due to fear of hurricanes as that did not stop cruises from being full in June, July and August when there were those eight named storms.

Why not be angry at the airline who is refusing to give your cash back even though they can't get you to where you need to be?

I think every airline is willing to refund your fare if the flight you were booked on did not fly.

But if you took up their offer to change your reservation to another day at no cost and that flight did take off, then there would be no refund.

Truly laughable

I love how the secretary of transportion is charged with regulating the airlines under the deregulation act of 1978...

Why do you prove my points?:eek:

I do think everyone should read that bill.

Then ask a question that will determine if the airlines are deregulated or not. Let's say American Airlines (who I fly the most) wanted to fly from any city in the USA to any other city in the USA for a regular route. Can they just put planes and crews in place and arrange with the airports for gate access? The answer is NO.... so where is the competition. For example from where I live I can fly to 3 airports, ORD, DFW and CLT. That is the comprehensive list of the cities that AA can fly from my local airport. Where is the competition? Only one of those 3 cities has more than one airline serving it directly that is ORD. So competition as defined by the regulators means that there is zero competition of 2 of 3 routes AA flies and the competition is limited to one other airline to the third airport.

It truly is the Wild West of laissez faire capitalism!!!!! :D

JC