Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

No, that one line lowered their fares and charged for bags. The consumers voted with their dollars by picking the cheapest fare. And then paid as much when they checked bags.

So the other airlines followed suit.

No, they did not lower their fares. They added the luggage charge using the excuse that fuel costs were going up and by charging for luggage they did not have to raise prices for people with no luggage. Seeing that the airline was able to do this, the other airlines decided to compete by also adding luggage fees. Note that no airline removed the luggage fees once fuel prices become significantly lower.

Except SouthWest, which I have found to be more expensive than the others much of the time. Remember, SW has their own law, requiring quoted fares in advertising to include all taxes and fees. They used to quote just the airfare portion, which seemed low. All airlines quoted prices without taxes and fees. Southwest was noyt the only airline to do that. Also, there is a REASON SW is not on Kayak, Priceline, etc. The reason Southwest is not on those booking sites is that they only allow booking on their own web site as a way of reducing their costs. They have done this as far back as I can remember. :)

Yes, Southwest is not always the lowest cost option anymore. But when they enter a new market, their lower prices force the other airlines to greatly reduce their pricing. Southwest in many cases is the only reason other airlines have lowered their prices.

I disagree. There is a reason cruise lines avoid cities suffering from civil unrest. The cruise lines do owe to disembark their passengers in a place where it is reasonably safe to do so.

It would seem from what you have posted that Port Everglades might ask the cruise lines to take their passengers to Miami or Port Canaveral because FLL is unable to get the passengers back home.

Miami and Orlando airports also have uncertainties as to when full commercial operations will resume. Going to the other ports will do no good for the passengers.

RC claims they want to keep you safe... How would putting cruise ship passengers in a disaster zone 24 hrs later be the right thing to do....

The right thing to do would be canceling this weeks ships sailings and work with the officials on getting people home and not bringing more tourists in the disaster areas to ship out on their happy vacation while the people around.

The travel insurance group is claiming since we didn't lose $ since RC is giving us a credit for a future cruise.. Probably not going to pay out..

I will be contacting a lawyer and or Talking to the credit card company about a charge back. / Heck I might take to twitter / facebook and contact the local news channel about it..Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

Since we talk care of my Mother in law and her health is declining there will be no 1 week vacations for us in the future past Oct... :(

There will be litigation if the right thing is not done. Plain and simple..

Sadly I now spend my 25th anniversary at home instead of being on Harmony..

As it stands now I cannot find flights to FLL for 9/12 ....

Before contacting a lawyer, I would read your cruise contract. I'm pretty sure there is an arbitration clause stuck in there. Read who pays for what in terms of the arbitrator, etc. I t could get expensive quickly. If cruise line isn't obligated to refund your money per the contract, try to negotiate a FCC that doesn't expire for two years (for example). If you try to file a lawsuit, cruise line will go to the court and have it compel arbitration.

Cruise costs in June, July and August are usually about the highest of the year and this is in hurricane season.

This year there were eight named storms in those three months. None of them affected embarkation ports in Florida.

The lowered cost of cruises in September is because summer vacation time is over and families with children stay home due to school being in session. It is not due to fear of hurricanes as that did not stop cruises from being full in June, July and August when there were those eight named storms.

5 of those named storms were in June/July and none of them became hurricanes. I've noticed looking at prices for July through September, the price goes down weekly, a 3 day I'm looking at on Carnival is $349 on 7/19 and goes $339, $314, $304, $269 and to $254 through the end of August. I'm not saying that prices don't decrease because of school (same as they increase during vacations) but I don't believe that is the only reason.

If you look at the top damaging hurricanes in the Atlantic most of the top ones are August - October. Only one in the top 20 was in July.

Fine we can turn Royal into the next Delta air on Social media...

You also agree not to sue a Doctor prior to surgery... But Doctors never get sued....

Do the right thing... Not what is the minimum ...

This could be a class action lawsuit the second a law firm smells blood...

Before contacting a lawyer, I would read your cruise contract. I'm pretty sure there is an arbitration clause stuck in there. Read who pays for what in terms of the arbitrator, etc. I t could get expensive quickly. If cruise line isn't obligated to refund your money per the contract, try to negotiate a FCC that doesn't expire for two years (for example). If you try to file a lawsuit, cruise line will go to the court and have it compel arbitration.

try disputing with the credit card first. Even if you lose the merchant has to pay a fee I believe.

Not sure how they can say it's not cancelled when it was to leave 2 days ago and still hasn't left.

Also don't go solely by what the contract says. There are consumer protection laws that the contract conveniently leaves out that would trump any contract language.

I think you got ripped off. Never mind the cheerleaders.

Fine we can turn Royal into the next Delta air on Social media...

You also agree not to sue a Doctor prior to surgery... But Doctors never get sued....

Do the right thing... Not what is the minimum ...

This could be a class action lawsuit the second a law firm smells blood...

Please explain what legal theory can be used for a class action law suit. In what forum would such a lawsuit be filed?

I checked and flights to FLL from CVG are available this friday and saturday. Not saying they are available from all cities, but they are from here and at a pretty cheap fare - under $150 one way on both Expedia and Delta web sites.

This Friday and Saturday is too late for someone trying to catch a mid week shorten cruise.

Miami and Orlando airports also have uncertainties as to when full commercial operations will resume. Going to the other ports will do no good for the passengers.

The response was to a statement that FLL may not be able to handle the cruise ship passengers for a while. It appears that MCO and MIA will be handling commercial flights prior to FLL. Thus MCO and MIA are better options. If FLL can handle commercial flights sooner, then those other options are not necessary.

The response was to a statement that FLL may not be able to handle the cruise ship passengers for a while. It appears that MCO and MIA will be handling commercial flights prior to FLL. Thus MCO and MIA are better options. If FLL can handle commercial flights sooner, then those other options are not necessary.

After Harevey came through Houston, it was two days after the airport opened that commercial flights resumed. But it was a week before a full schedule was back in place.

So MIA and MCO having commercial flights sooner does not mean there will be a full schedule this week.

And having flights out does not mean there is space on them for the thousands of passengers on the cruise ships.

Please explain what legal theory can be used for a class action law suit. In what forum would such a lawsuit be filed?

To suggest a class action suit is pure stupidity. Attorneys avoid cruise line suits because (1) they operate under special rules, and (2) they are registered outside the USA. If you're too cheap to buy travel insurance, you're probably one of those inside cabin (walk-in closet class) people who run up to the pool deck before the sun rises to put a towel on a lounge chair you may use two hours during the day but tie up for the entire day. You probably want free bottled water too. Buy the insurance next time and you can skip your pity party.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To suggest a class action suit is pure stupidity. Attorneys avoid cruise line suits because (1) they operate under special rules, and (2) they are registered outside the USA. If you're too cheap to buy travel insurance, you're probably one of those inside cabin (walk-in closet class) people who run up to the pool deck before the sun rises to put a towel on a lounge chair you may use two hours during the day but tie up for the entire day. You probably want free bottled water too. Buy the insurance next time and you can skip your pity party.

Well, that's just not nice. While I have very little sympathy for people who don't buy insurance and then want a bail out, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with people who book insides or chair hogs.

I didn't suggest such a cause of action. I was asking a previous poster, who asserted it could occur. I'm interested to hear his or her perspective on what the theory would be and where it would be filed.

After Harevey came through Houston, it was two days after the airport opened that commercial flights resumed. But it was a week before a full schedule was back in place.

So MIA and MCO having commercial flights sooner does not mean there will be a full schedule this week.

And having flights out does not mean there is space on them for the thousands of passengers on the cruise ships.

So then, what do you think the Port Everglades ships should do if Port Everglades will not open the port?

What ship were you on during Sandy? We sailed out of Charleston and I thought all of the ports north of us had closed. I thought we were on the last ship to make it out

We left out of Jersey the day before Sandy hit. We were on the Explorer. Some ships went north. We went to Bermuda. The first 2 days were pretty nasty....but by the time we got to Bermuda we were in the clear.

Well, that's just not nice. While I have very little sympathy for people who don't buy insurance and then want a bail out, it certainly doesn't have anything to do with people who book insides or chair hogs.

If you follow the thread back, the person threatening a lawsuit did buy cruise insurance, it just doesn't apply because the cruise is sailing, theoretically, on a shortened itinerary, and Royal has offered compensation in the form of a cruise credit.

Sadly some of us can't afford the bigger rooms yet still enjoy a family vacation...besides how much time is actually spent in the cabin? I've had balcony rooms and have been just as happy with inside...because we spend most of the time outside. Or we go to the inlaw's cabin to share the balcony. walk-in closet class indeed. Where is YOUR class?

I guess really it comes down to personal preference. I have been in this situation both pre and post the regulation change and after spending far more time sitting on the tarmac than it would have taken to my destination, only to have the flight attendants over hours, then a further delay arriving 9 hours late for a 2 hour flight....compared to the very civilized rebooking for the next am that we just experienced. I'll take paying for my overnight and meals(although haven't had to in the past). As an aside AC now offers a sort of insurance for this now called "On my Way". Plus if you book with various credit cards such as our Amex then your travel insurance automatically covers the kind of expenses you refer to.

Hopefully you get out the next morning.

I was visiting a friend in Orlando in Dec. Mid Atlantic got hit by a big snow storm. Some people spent two extra days in Orlando before they could get out. Maybe longer, but the one family I talked to while waiting for the shuttle to the hotel was not leaving for two days.

Sadly some of us can't afford the bigger rooms yet still enjoy a family vacation...besides how much time is actually spent in the cabin? I've had balcony rooms and have been just as happy with inside...because we spend most of the time outside. Or we go to the inlaw's cabin to share the balcony. walk-in closet class indeed. Where is YOUR class?

Call me a snob if you like; I enjoy mini-suites for the larger balcony, large shower, and a little more space in the cabin. If I decide to use the pool, I get annoyed when there's 10 people in the pool and almost every lounge chair has a towel on it. It's annoying that cruise lines will not enforce their own rules and remove the towels. It's because the walk-in closet class feels they're entitled to an unlimited reservation for lounge chairs. They're also the first ones to complain when they can't get something for nothing. If you're going cheap, you should expect that level of amenities. If I want something I'm willing to pay a fair price for it. Not buying travel insurance is either stupid or cheap; take your choice.

So speechless I wouldn't know where to start !