Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

Call me a snob if you like; I enjoy mini-suites for the larger balcony, large shower, and a little more space in the cabin. If I decide to use the pool, I get annoyed when there's 10 people in the pool and almost every lounge chair has a towel on it. It's annoying that cruise lines will not enforce their own rules and remove the towels. It's because the walk-in closet class feels they're entitled to an unlimited reservation for lounge chairs. They're also the first ones to complain when they can't get something for nothing. If you're going cheap, you should expect that level of amenities. If I want something I'm willing to pay a fair price for it. Not buying travel insurance is either stupid or cheap; take your choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Snob? Sure but more like a pompous a**. Insurance aside. You are generalizing. Sure cruise lines should reinforce rules. I agree whole heartedly about the towel thing. But is usually a small group doing this "saving for the whole family". So what do I do? I go out extra early to find myself a relaxing reading spot before the crowds come. I have cruise number 8 coming up this Dec. It would likely be half that number if we didn't go for interior cabins most of the time. So don't be an elitist snob. We are all there to have fun and enjoy a relaxing, fun filled, vacation. No matter the budget.

Fine we can turn Royal into the next Delta air on Social media...

You also agree not to sue a Doctor prior to surgery... But Doctors never get sued....

Do the right thing... Not what is the minimum ...

This could be a class action lawsuit the second a law firm smells blood...

The passengers on the "poop cruise" tried to sue and didn't get very far with it (which IMO, was a worst experience than this). They were given so little money that after lawyer fees and travel expenses, they were lucky if they broke even. Unless you're seriously injured (like with Costa Concordia) suing isn't going to work. Inconvenience doesn't get a lawyer's attention in these situations, especially with cruise ships. The whole "let's sue" discussion comes up essentially any time a cruise company gets into less ideal situations.

So here we are on the 11th. The mayor of Ft. Lauderdale has asked people to stay off the roads, yet Royal Caribbean insists on having several thousand people try to make their way into this devastated area. This cruise should be cancelled. I have insurance but as long as the cruise line offers an option, no matter how absurd, they won't pay. Maybe I have the wrong insurance, but it is what cruise.com offered. I live in Florida. I have a business under water and a home in shambles...hardly the time to go on a cruise. I sure could use the money to try to rebuild my life, but I understand RC has no obligation.

So here we are on the 11th. The mayor of Ft. Lauderdale has asked people to stay off the roads, yet Royal Caribbean insists on having several thousand people try to make their way into this devastated area. This cruise should be cancelled. I have insurance but as long as the cruise line offers an option, no matter how absurd, they won't pay. Maybe I have the wrong insurance, but it is what cruise.com offered. I live in Florida. I have a business under water and a home in shambles...hardly the time to go on a cruise. I sure could use the money to try to rebuild my life, but I understand RC has no obligation.

Sorry. This particular scenario really does suck. Seeing some similar stories from people trying to get to the shortened Oasis sailing this week from PC. This half-measure does seem very customer-unfriendly.

Call me a snob if you like; I enjoy mini-suites for the larger balcony, large shower, and a little more space in the cabin. If I decide to use the pool, I get annoyed when there's 10 people in the pool and almost every lounge chair has a towel on it. It's annoying that cruise lines will not enforce their own rules and remove the towels. It's because the walk-in closet class feels they're entitled to an unlimited reservation for lounge chairs. They're also the first ones to complain when they can't get something for nothing. If you're going cheap, you should expect that level of amenities. If I want something I'm willing to pay a fair price for it. Not buying travel insurance is either stupid or cheap; take your choice.

You are really generalizing here and being rude. I too enjoy and book in suites. Usually GS or higher. The reason is I like to spend time in my suite and enjoy the additional perks. My sister usually books an interior room because to her, it's just a place to shower and sleep. Could she easily afford a suite, you bet she can. She chooses not too! Neither is she a chair hog!

Unfortunately not all insurance policies are the same and in fact can vary greatly in what is covered for what reasons. What makes it worse that you almost have to have a PhD to decode what exactly is covered and when. Here is the coverage terms for a Nationwide Luxury Cruise Policy that we have been using. I had to file a claim for a missed port due to weather and the process was quick and easy to receive our payout. I'm guessing it would payout in this case weather or not they sailed late, as they define a common carrier as an land, sea or air carrier.

The Company will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are prevented

from taking Your Trip for any of the following reasons that are Unforeseen and takes place after the Effective Date:

Weather that causes complete cessation of services of the Common Carrier for at least twent y-four (24) consecutive

hours and prevents You from reaching Your destination. This benefit will not apply if the potential natural disaster has been

forecasted or a storm has been named prior to purchase of this coverage

Sorry. This particular scenario really does suck. Seeing some similar stories from people trying to get to the shortened Oasis sailing this week from PC. This half-measure does seem very customer-unfriendly.

I'm very confused, I read in the news section of cruise critic that RCCL offered basically 50% OBC and 50% FCC for those who still wanted to go this week (basically making the cruise free). Or the had the option to cancel for refund (not FCC). Did I read it wrong?

693a346908990324af879f8ed2c467d6--titanic-movie-marketing-1.jpg.057002349801e8b6794cb77bed96f923.jpg

And in our few cruises we only sail in the big suites. On RCCL, or NCL one has special sections with fewer chair hogs. Since you seem to think you are superior to those who sail in what you seem to be suggesting is "closet class" perhaps you should try a real suite.

Seriously please don't. At least not on a cruise we're on !

Unfortunately not all insurance policies are the same and in fact can vary greatly in what is covered for what reasons. What makes it worse that you almost have to have a PhD to decode what exactly is covered and when. Here is the coverage terms for a Nationwide Luxury Cruise Policy that we have been using. I had to file a claim for a missed port due to weather and the process was quick and easy to receive our payout. I'm guessing it would payout in this case weather or not they sailed late, as they define a common carrier as an land, sea or air carrier.

The Company will reimburse You, up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage, if You are prevented

from taking Your Trip for any of the following reasons that are Unforeseen and takes place after the Effective Date:

Weather that causes complete cessation of services of the Common Carrier for at least twent y-four (24) consecutive

hours and prevents You from reaching Your destination. This benefit will not apply if the potential natural disaster has been

forecasted or a storm has been named prior to purchase of this coverage

Very informative post on travel insurance. Thanks. I wish I had checked out the small print on a travel insurance policy we purchased a few years back. We were on a 10 day land tour of New Zealand. Two of our full day excursions were cancelled due to weather (i.e., snow in October). The insurance company took the position that the tour operator tried to go to the excursion, but could not due to an "act of God". Thus no coverage or compensation. Bummer.

The passengers on the "poop cruise" tried to sue and didn't get very far with it (which IMO, was a worst experience than this). They were given so little money that after lawyer fees and travel expenses, they were lucky if they broke even. Unless you're seriously injured (like with Costa Concordia) suing isn't going to work. Inconvenience doesn't get a lawyer's attention in these situations, especially with cruise ships. The whole "let's sue" discussion comes up essentially any time a cruise company gets into less ideal situations.

Not first time a Royal lawsuit failed. Years ago when you missed a port due to storm or anything else you would never get your Port Tax back. Well class action lawsuit filed Think settlement was 7 million, divided up to million cruises. I got $28 for 4 missed ports, $7 ea. Best part was it was had to be used toward a future cruise, within a yr. Was in Army then, in a almost 2yr long missile maintenance school and couldn't use it anyway...

I'll call you a snob, but it has nothing to do with the fact that you book junior suites. It has to do with the fact that you think that somehow makes you better than those who book interior cabins - and the fact that you assume those are the people hogging chairs. If you don't think the "walk in closet class" is worthy to be in your presence, perhaps it's time to leave mass market cruising and book only river cruises. If there are no interior cabins, you won't have to be bothered by "inferiority." You may be able to buy a suite, but you can't buy class.

RC claims they want to keep you safe... How would putting cruise ship passengers in a disaster zone 24 hrs later be the right thing to do....

The right thing to do would be canceling this weeks ships sailings and work with the officials on getting people home and not bringing more tourists in the disaster areas to ship out on their happy vacation while the people around.

The travel insurance group is claiming since we didn't lose $ since RC is giving us a credit for a future cruise.. Probably not going to pay out..

I will be contacting a lawyer and or Talking to the credit card company about a charge back. / Heck I might take to twitter / facebook and contact the local news channel about it..Squeaky wheel gets the oil...

Since we talk care of my Mother in law and her health is declining there will be no 1 week vacations for us in the future past Oct... :(

There will be litigation if the right thing is not done. Plain and simple..

Sadly I now spend my 25th anniversary at home instead of being on Harmony..

As it stands now I cannot find flights to FLL for 9/12 ....

I can guarantee you that there will be no lawyer taking on any case for this. You are being offered a FCC for the cruise cost. That is a fair settlement.

You can sqawk all you want on every social media site. Nothing will happen. Its the risk of taking a cruise and you agree to to costs/refund statuses when you book

I'm very confused, I read in the news section of cruise critic that RCCL offered basically 50% OBC and 50% FCC for those who still wanted to go this week (basically making the cruise free). Or the had the option to cancel for refund (not FCC). Did I read it wrong?

I don't believe the shortened itineraries this week (the shortened 7 day cruises that have people scrambling to get into Florida) have a cash refund option, just FCC:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/itineraryUpdates.do

Looks like Allure, Harmony, Oasis and Enchantment.

Some earlier cruises did receive refunds.

(If I'm reading wrong or someone has newer info, I definitely don't claim to be an expert, and there's a lot going on.)

I think this is the clincher paragraph:

"Given the changes to these sailings, if you are unable to travel and need to cancel your cruise, we will provide you with a 100% future cruise credit. Pre-booked shore excursions will be refunded to your original form of payment, and you will have the ability to book excursions in our new ports of call once onboard."

No, because no one has asked for one. :)

Ever seen a DC-3 on floats? Yes, they did it.

Asked for what???

Someone said that Southwest was not on Kayak. Since all that Southwest flies are 737s, I said the reason a 737 is on on Kayak is because no Kayak that currently exists can float a 737.

I have no idea what you are talking about.