Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

I'm a big proponent of parking indoors during hurricane season now. You can park at our place, but it would be outside as well.

Power is a blessing, 6 flights of stairs no Bueno. Hopefully water soon. Kids coming back tomorrow. I may have houseguests

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Wonderful to hear you and your condo made it through OK...with no damage! I just heard power back on in our community

just a couple of hours ago also.

It was a tornado that totally wiped out the Park N Cruise there on Sea Ray drive. Of course it was spawned by Irma. Really bad, flattened the whole building and damaged many cars. Not a fun thing to find when you are returning from a cruise. :(

I don't usually cruise during hurricane season anyway. This MJ cruise is the exception. ;)

Probably just use Radisson again...though I don't like their service as well. Prepaid at Park N Cruise...guess that

money is gone. Drats. Feel bad for them though....they were good people.

Still miss being able to just call a taxi to the house when we lived on Merritt Island.

Wonderful to hear you and your condo made it through OK...with no damage! I just heard power back on in our community

just a couple of hours ago also.

It was a tornado that totally wiped out the Park N Cruise there on Sea Ray drive. Of course it was spawned by Irma. Really bad, flattened the whole building and damaged many cars. Not a fun thing to find when you are returning from a cruise. :(

I don't usually cruise during hurricane season anyway. This MJ cruise is the exception. ;)

Probably just use Radisson again...though I don't like their service as well. Prepaid at Park N Cruise...guess that

money is gone. Drats. Feel bad for them though....they were good people.

Still miss being able to just call a taxi to the house when we lived on Merritt Island.

The Park Port Canaveral lot us fine. Eerily empty right now

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

No, only first floor. Are you home now?

Yes. I guess we got out just in time as I hear that some bridge(s) on I75 may get (or had gotten) flooded, and they may have to detour. If true, that would not be pretty.:eek:

Hopefully, there was no damage or flooding to your residence in Cape Coral. Is your power back? Cape Coral had it much worse than we did in Bradenton.

Sure hope you get to go on your Sept. 17th cruise. Think positive and best wishes.

I have power but most do not. We currently have a housefull of folks and animals trying to help them get out of the heat. We will all survive. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Anybody can say that RCI should just refund all money because they are not comfortable cruising, and that the company should just eat it. In the end, they are a business, and that business is to make money selling cruise fares and the related costs along with that. They are not in the business of mitigating risk for individuals, that is the insurance industry.

Some are saying that RCI should carry insurance to cover their losses, but that insurance does cost money, and would then have to be passed on to all cruisers, so it is really not any different that the above saying they should just eat the cost of the cruise.

There are many, may businesses that suffer business losses during and after a natural disaster. It's the nature of the beast. Those businesses suck it up or have business loss insurance. What makes RCI so special and or exempt from these losses? It's RCI profiting from your loss. Is it in their contract? yes. Is it fair? Absolutely not.

You can still call a taxi to your house. :halo:

True...but they would get lost totally trying to get to us way in the back of the swamp we moved into a couple of years ago. Not to mention having to run over an Alligator or two. :p;p Would have to demand hazard pay. :o

There are many, may businesses that suffer business losses during and after a natural disaster. It's the nature of the beast. Those businesses suck it up or have business loss insurance. What makes RCI so special and or exempt from these losses? It's RCI profiting from your loss. Is it in their contract? yes. Is it fair? Absolutely not.

Don't like the terms, don't sign them, simple as that. If that means doing a different vacation, then so be it.

One way or the other, somebody has to pay for it, and if you think any losses to a company that sails at near full capacity all the time are just eaten by the shareholders, you are crazy. Either they raise prices on all sailings to pay for insurance, or they raise prices on all sailings to self insurance, or they have the people that choose to sail at a time known to have potential issues take their own risk (either through insurance, or through self insuring).

Companies are not in business to be nice to anybody, or help out people. They are their to make money for their owners (whether that is shareholders, or privately held). Handing out refunds or free cruises would happen for one reason - it would make them more money in the long run (either through good press, returning passengers, or word of mouth), and is all a calculation based on what will make them the most money. I am not saying they made the right call, but I am not a decision maker at the company and don't have all the info. I am not a shareholder, and have no say either way.

If this situation ends up making them loose so many customers that they no longer sail at near full capacity, then they may act differently next time. In this case, it seems most cruise lines were fairly comparable, but their are people pissed at whichever line they had a bad experience on, and that is their right to vote with their dollars. The problem with this, is it sounds like just as many people are pissed at other lines, so in the end, it will probably be a minor blip either way, since some may switch to another line, while that other line will have people that switch to another line as well.

I have power but most do not. We currently have a housefull of folks and animals trying to help them get out of the heat. We will all survive. Thanks!

Be happy you're not in Orlando where we took the direct hit. I had a tornado rip the tops out of my large oak trees; it actually got my house on Spectrum local news. Thank God no physical injuries or structural damage to house. We'll survive, but massive cleanup over next week or so.

My son's in-laws are in the Orlando area. Part of the roof collapsed on his father-in-law who is currently in ICU with a shattered pelvis.

Our son and new daughter-in-law's honeymoon has been cancelled as the hotel in Key West is not there anymore. He's been on the phone for four hours trying to get his money back.:loudcry::loudcry:

Prayers to anyone affected.:halo:

My son's in-laws are in the Orlando area. Part of the roof collapsed on his father-in-law who is currently in ICU with a shattered pelvis.

Our son and new daughter-in-law's honeymoon has been cancelled as the hotel in Key West is not there anymore. He's been on the phone for four hours trying to get his money back.:loudcry::loudcry:

Prayers to anyone affected.:halo:

Hopefully he is able to fully recover. Can't even imagine

What everybody down there is going through.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

Hope his father-in-law has a full recovery. The house can be replaced; our health is a blessing. Where in Orlando area are they and do they need help? I'm in the Winter Springs area on east side of Orlando.

Not sure of the exact location. Yesterday he said the family in Florida could not get gas to visit. Still no power and communication is very sketchy. I'm not sure even my daughter-in-law has all the correct details and is soooo upset.

Son's e mail is reed nate at g mail dot com. He is in Va. Thank You.