Feeling a bit screwed over by RC, Irma safety/risk issue and no-refund, greed?

lowsidr

My rule is "don't gamble with more than you can afford to lose." If I pay $150 for insurance, and don't need it, I've only lost $150. That's a loss I can afford. If I have to be flown off of the ship for a medical emergency, it can run between 50 and 100k. I can't afford that loss. Even if the odds are in my favor, it's a gamble I'm not willing to take - because I can't afford to lose.

Exactly! This is my thinking, also. Young people may have better odds with the gamble, but as a retiree, I do not.

Don't like the terms, don't sign them, simple as that. If that means doing a different vacation, then so be it.

One way or the other, somebody has to pay for it, and if you think any losses to a company that sails at near full capacity all the time are just eaten by the shareholders, you are crazy. Either they raise prices on all sailings to pay for insurance, or they raise prices on all sailings to self insurance, or they have the people that choose to sail at a time known to have potential issues take their own risk (either through insurance, or through self insuring).

Companies are not in business to be nice to anybody, or help out people. They are their to make money for their owners (whether that is shareholders, or privately held). Handing out refunds or free cruises would happen for one reason - it would make them more money in the long run (either through good press, returning passengers, or word of mouth), and is all a calculation based on what will make them the most money. I am not saying they made the right call, but I am not a decision maker at the company and don't have all the info. I am not a shareholder, and have no say either way.

If this situation ends up making them loose so many customers that they no longer sail at near full capacity, then they may act differently next time. In this case, it seems most cruise lines were fairly comparable, but their are people pissed at whichever line they had a bad experience on, and that is their right to vote with their dollars. The problem with this, is it sounds like just as many people are pissed at other lines, so in the end, it will probably be a minor blip either way, since some may switch to another line, while that other line will have people that switch to another line as well.

You are absolutely, 100% right. If you don't like the terms of the contract, don't sign it, and vacation somewhere else. That doesn't change the fact that RCI's contract stinks. It favors RCI, not the passenger. If you've read the contract it's clear that it's designed to "screw" the passenger. The letter of the law, being what it is, there is still a thing called customer service. Personally, I would be upset if my cruise was cancelled and was not offered a refund if I were unable to sail in the future. I think Royal Caribbean should, at the very minimum, try to make the customer happy with future cruise incentives, whatever they may be. If a fully paid passenger is unable to partake in RCI's future cruise incentives, a full refund should be offered.

. That doesn't change the fact that RCI's contract stinks. It favors RCI, not the passenger. If you've read the contract it's clear that it's designed to "screw" the passenger.

Wow. Absolutely stunned that a compnay has a contract in place that favours themselves.

If everyone would read the contract, they will see the lines are doing exactly what they said they would in the contract, actually, they are doing more than they have to. Insurance is also for these circumstances.

This is true. However, it's also true that some of us feel changing a 7 day cruise to a 4 day, although allowed by the contract, should give passengers the option of cancelling with a full refund (NOT a FCC).

This is true. However, it's also true that some of us feel changing a 7 day cruise to a 4 day, although allowed by the contract, should give passengers the option of cancelling with a full refund (NOT a FCC).

And some are pleased with how it worked out. Almost a free cruise.

Not to mention a relief from no power, water, food, AC, etc...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Edited by John&LaLa

You are absolutely, 100% right. If you don't like the terms of the contract, don't sign it, and vacation somewhere else. That doesn't change the fact that RCI's contract stinks. It favors RCI, not the passenger. If you've read the contract it's clear that it's designed to "screw" the passenger. The letter of the law, being what it is, there is still a thing called customer service. Personally, I would be upset if my cruise was cancelled and was not offered a refund if I were unable to sail in the future. I think Royal Caribbean should, at the very minimum, try to make the customer happy with future cruise incentives, whatever they may be. If a fully paid passenger is unable to partake in RCI's future cruise incentives, a full refund should be offered.

Any cancelled cruise got their full money refunded- not credit and a 25% discount.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

For passengers that just don't want to make it, they took the risk by self insuring. They had the choice of paying for cancel for any reason insurance, and chose to self insure instead. Now their policy is paying out exactly what they are owed. I don't pay the extra for that option, and know I will be out the cruise fare if I make the decision not to take a cruise that I paid for and have a non-refundable fare since it is past final payment.

It is not my responsibility to pay for the risk they took.

What industry voluntarily sets up a system to favor their customers or even the general society over them?

Even a single company that does that?

The idea that companies will favor their customers or society over their share holders is not part of our society. If government steps in, there will be massive calls of over reach, or that we are becoming communists. It's incredibly illogical, as people are basically voting against their own interests, but that's what happens. There are plenty of lawsuits and the surrounding smear campaigns that illustrate that in a very clear manner.

I challenge anyone here to look at the company they work for and see if they are truly for the consumer or for their shareholders/owners. If you are a company owner that truly does that, good for you. You do know how rare that is. And I'm sure you also know that you have competitors that will swoop in and take advantage of your position, too.

And some are pleased with how it worked out. Almost a free cruise.

Not to mention a relief from no power, water, food, AC, etc...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Did I say it was a bad deal for everyone? :confused:

I believe I said passengers should have the OPTION of cancelling and getting a complete refund. Meaning if you want to go on the shorter cruise (and take advantage of whatever incentives the cruise line wants to offer), that's another option. PASSENGERS should get to decide what they want to do in this situation IMO.

I believe I said passengers should have the OPTION of cancelling and getting a complete refund. Meaning if you want to go on the shorter cruise (and take advantage of whatever incentives the cruise line wants to offer), that's another option. PASSENGERS should get to decide what they want to do in this situation IMO.

It does effect all of us. If the company takes a loss, they then turn around and raise prices on everybody else to cover the loss that a couple had due to not planning properly. It should not be the rest of us that have to pay for other self insuring. I pay for trip insurance.

They DO get to decide. They either decide to go on the shorter cruise or they decide to stay home. Previously, they decided whether or not to buy trip insurance, whether or not to read all the terms and conditions in their cruise contract, and whether or not cruise during hurricane season. They're all choices that are made voluntarily.

Does this include the Red Cross?

YES.

Everything the Red Cross hands out at a US disaster is paid for my your tax dollars. And Red Cross i spaid by the US government to do so.

Your donations go to running the Red Cross.

I will NEVER give to the Red Cross.

YES.

Your donations go to running the Red Cross.

I will NEVER give to the Red Cross.

+1

I would not donate a single dime to them. My father drilled that into my head from the time I was a little girl. He served in the Air Force during Korea, was stationed overseas. Don't even think he was 20 when he came down with mono and Hepatitis at the same time. Shipped to Japan to the hospital. Sick as a dog doesn't cover his condition.

Red Cross came to the hospital and basically ignored him, along with all of the enlisted men. Only ones they paid any attention to were the officers. He held a grudge for over 40 years and refused to have anything to do with the organization, and our family followed suit.

Now that we see more and more posts and information about the organization, it reinforces what my father always thought about them.

I don't know, divide total amount of cruise related medi vacs by Total cruisers. Most likely a very small percentage.

Possibly, but a med evac from Halifax Canada to Washington DC was $29,000.

From overseas, I have heard of upwards from $250,000.

And your medical plan may not cover you outside the US. So any medical bills on the ship or shore before transport may also have to be covered.

Your choice.

Personally, I will not travel without med and evac coverage.

I was booked for the Harmony 9/9 and was pushed out to 12th. We really wanted to go. However due to the airports 3 flights we tried to booked was cancelled. We were unable to get in and also our returned flight was cancelled. So I had to cancel. We receive credit for cruise fair future cruise and gratuity, ports, packages monies returned.:(

I have a question it maybe stupid...but if someone had 3rd party insurance that pays if they cancel for any reason and they turn in claim for this cruise. Then could same person receive the FCC that RCL is offering for this shorted cruise. It doesn't sound right it's like double dipping. But RCL doesn't know you have insurance or will insurance not pay since your getting a refund in form of FCC from RCL.

Any cancelled cruise got their full money refunded- not credit and a 25% discount.

For me the question is: What is a cancelled cruise. If I bought a 7 day cruise from Florida, offering a 4 day cruise that leaves 3 days later doesn't seem like the same product I purchased. To me that is a cancelled cruise and those people should be entitled to a full cash refund.