Itinerary changes due to Irma

jpodds

Is it just me or are other posters amazed that people are worrying now what will happen to their sailings for next year! There are many more scheduled sailings to these islands well before 2018. Surely it would be wiser to let those affected by this hurricane catch their breath, and allow X to take stock of an ongoing situation before we start worrying how next year's itineraries will likely be altered. Perhaps it's just me :confused:?

Oh please. It's absolutely normal for people to contemplate how they may be personally affected. It doesn't mean they are prioritizing themselves first, nor does it mean that they do not have empathy for those that have been devastated in their homes. You have no reason to take this as an opportunity to chastise anyone.

Is it just me or are other posters amazed that people are worrying now what will happen to their sailings for next year! There are many more scheduled sailings to these islands well before 2018. Surely it would be wiser to let those affected by this hurricane catch their breath, and allow X to take stock of an ongoing situation before we start worrying how next year's itineraries will likely be altered. Perhaps it's just me :confused:?

Sorry to upset you, but we will be on a cruise out of Ca next month, and upon our return have to plunk over severeral housand dollars fir final payment.... Cruise has 4 sea days already so if we lose 2 ports it may not be worth the expense,,,so its a big decision for us coming soon,,,

We are quite sad for those who have lost their himes, livelihoods etc, we pray for all our friends , neighbors and older rels stuck in Fla right now and hope our home and vehicle left there are not destroyed

We are also booked along with our friends for the Jan 20 repositioning cruise on the Summit. Leaving from San Juan to St Maarten' date=' St. Kitts, St. Thomas and Nassau.....all in this monsters path of destruction. Feeling so sorry for the poor folks in all of these areas. The devastation looks awful. This was to be our friends first cruise. They're not wanting to go now. We will need to make our final payment in October. I've told them to hang tight and lets just wait and see what Celebrity says and what the news out of these areas looks like in the next few days.[/quote']

Our final payment for Summit which includes San Juan, Antigua, St Kilts, St Thomas, St Lucia, and Barbados is due on Saturday. I'm assuming these ports would be operational by the end of November but I see some are already considering canceling cruises in 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our final payment for Summit which includes San Juan, Antigua, St Kilts, St Thomas, St Lucia, and Barbados is due on Saturday. I'm assuming these ports would be operational by the end of November but I see some are already considering canceling cruises in 2018.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope so because we are doing that itinerary at the beginning of January.

Hurricane Charley hit the Cayman's in August 2004. We were one of the first ships back in February 2005. That can show you a timeline of how long it takes. We are doing Southern in January and at this time I expect to miss St, Martin, possibly Antigua and St. Lucia. We will just have to see. As for stopping and helping, today they need food, supplies and trained professionals. Not going to get that from a cruise ship load of tourists. There are of course several wonderful organizations that will gladly put your donations to good use. As for stops, the islands will open up when the local authorities think they can handle the ships and the cruise lines believe them. In the meantime, our prayers and best wishes to all the impacted areas home and abroad.

St. Lucia should not be a problem; as far as I can tell they did not experience any substantial damage.

We are totally paid for a Dec 8 cruise on the Silhouette with an itinerary that includes St. Martin and Antigua. Online check in is tomorrow. I have no idea if any of the ports will change. I do know that I'm checking us in tomorrow and we'll have a great time on our cruise, whether it's the original or an altered itinerary.

Thank you for this post. I spend a good bit of the winter months on the ships. All that I can think of are the people on these beautiful islands that I love. God help them. I will always have another cruise, but right now, their lives are in harms way.

I have the Equinox Sept 25! Sure we will have changed ports.

St Thomas

Tortola

St Johns

Barbados

St Lucia

St Maarten

We are all in the same boat (if you know what I mean) and just need to give them a few days or more to figure out the damage to those areas. A few of them have Jose heading there way also.

Sept 4th had the same itinerary but dropped St. Thomas, Tortola & St. Maarten and added Curacao, Martinique and a sea day. Antigua is still on for Sat 9/9, but could be changed.

My wife & I and another couple will also be on the 25th sailing; if we can board I'll be happy to go anywhere :)

Best wishes to those of you scheduled for the 15th and of course for everyone in harms way. Hopefully, Jose will not add to the misery.

Oh please. It's absolutely normal for people to contemplate how they may be personally affected. It doesn't mean they are prioritizing themselves first, nor does it mean that they do not have empathy for those that have been devastated in their homes. You have no reason to take this as an opportunity to chastise anyone.

Not chastising anyone. Just stating that I was shocked that in a situation such as this, pax are worrying about itinerary changes for next March!

We went on the summit to dominica in January after Danny hit in august with destructive flooding and mudslides closing the airport and roads. Can't speak for the island just hit but the people welcomed the ships back and prioritized opening the ports airports and roads as tourism is a large portion of their income. I would think celebrity will make adjustments when the time comes to alternative ports. Just a matter of time to see how quickly damaged ports can recover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm more worried about the Florida cruise terminals being destroyed. Can't cruise anywhere if they can't dock the ships.

Totally agree. My understanding is that the port on the West Coast of Tampa isn't an option for the larger ships so if the east coast terminals aren't operational for awhile, don't know what would happen to cruises scheduled from there after Irma passes.

I think we will have to wait til Irma gets through FL to get answers.

Not only Irma, but the other hurricanes tailing her. I recall many years ago St Martin had a horrible hurricane that destroyed the beautiful Mullet Bay resort. They never rebuilt it. Who knows how long recovery will take. We have a January cruise that might have ports changed due too damage. Of course we are concerned with the people of the island and hope that they are safe and the rebuild goes quickly and smoothly.

We are totally paid for a Dec 8 cruise on the Silhouette with an itinerary that includes St. Martin and Antigua. Online check in is tomorrow. I have no idea if any of the ports will change. I do know that I'm checking us in tomorrow and we'll have a great time on our cruise, whether it's the original or an altered itinerary.

This. :hearteyes:

Two years ago when the hurricane hit St Maarten ( can't remember the name) in October 2015 the cruise ships only missed one week. We were week 2 and docked. They put a priority on fixing the docks because they need the tourist dollars. We did a snorkel trip that cruised around the island. Lots of boats had washed up on shore but the beaches were open. Of course this is a much stronger hurricane.

Edited by Champagne Cruiser
typos