dolphin excursion preference

pacruzer02

We recently went to Dolphinaris in Cozumel.

When we went in with the trainer, he informed us that the dolphin that will "perform" for us is very pregnant. It did not feel right to me one bit, so I stepped out and left before he started. I do not think I will ever go there again.

There is an even worse one at the port in Costa Maya. Looks like all they do is swim around in a pool.

As an alternative, I can recommend places where you can actually see live wild dolphins.

They are ALL bad and all they ever do is swim around in a bathtub. Animal abuse of the highest order.

There is an even worse one at the port in Costa Maya. Looks like all they do is swim around in a pool.

As an alternative, I can recommend places where you can actually see live wild dolphins.

I have seen that one in Costa Maya. It does seem very small.

I will appreciate your recommendation on the places where I can see the dolphins. Please post.

Not a fan of "captive dolphins"...it's cruel. If you take a couple days and spend them in Virginia Beach, rent a small sailboat, and the dolphins will surround you. There are tons of them at the mouth of the Bay...

Having dolphins captured for your entertainment is just sad.

I agree with many of the posters above. We did one in Cozumel in January, can't remember the name, but was like a two minute drive from the ship, we felt horrible afterwards. The pools were small, it just felt totally wrong, I really wish we hadn't participated. Seeing them out in the open ocean is so much better.

I agree with many of the posters above. We did one in Cozumel in January, can't remember the name, but was like a two minute drive from the ship, we felt horrible afterwards. The pools were small, it just felt totally wrong, I really wish we hadn't participated. Seeing them out in the open ocean is so much better.

I agree as well.

thanks to all those who posted about the natural habitats where we can see them.

My wife really wants to do a dolphin excursion and we have two islands where it's offered, Cozumel and Falmouth, just wondering if anybody knows which offers the better tour ?

We did a train the trainer in Cozumel. It was very good. They taught us a lot about them and their captivity, and it was a lot of fun.

I think most of the dolphins were born in captivity and could not survive in the wild. They also get medical care and bond with the trainers similar to the way one bonds with a dog.

It was much better than just the dolphin swim which we did a few years ago.

We did a train the trainer in Cozumel. It was very good. They taught us a lot about them and their captivity, and it was a lot of fun.

I think most of the dolphins were born in captivity and could not survive in the wild. They also get medical care and bond with the trainers similar to the way one bonds with a dog.

Please don't try and justify the abuse. I'm glad they tried to explain away their captivity for the sake of $$$$.

I have heard a lot of good things about that one. Is this the one where they do not perform, but you go out in the ocean and the dolphins come to you?

They do some performing, but you do go into ocean in waist deep water and Dolphins come to you (great if you can not swim, like me) , they do Dolphin research there also, lots of time with the Dolphins

Please don't try and justify the abuse. I'm glad they tried to explain away their captivity for the sake of $$$$.

We also did the "Swin with the Dolphin" in Cozumel last year. We were with our daughter. All of us truly enjoyed the experience.

They limit the number of people on each tour. The tours often are sold out. We had to waite until our next visit to Cozumel to take the tour because all of the tours on our prior visit were full.

Lost of people do not share your view that dolphins in a large pool is cruel.

They do some performing, but you do go into ocean in waist deep water and Dolphins come to you (great if you can not swim, like me) , they do Dolphin research there also, lots of time with the Dolphins

Thanks. I agree 100% with this post.

We also did the "Swin with the Dolphin" in Cozumel last year. We were with our daughter. All of us truly enjoyed the experience.

They limit the number of people on each tour. The tours often are sold out. We had to waite until our next visit to Cozumel to take the tour because all of the tours on our prior visit were full.

Lost of people do not share your view that dolphins in a large pool is cruel.

I believe that most educated people do believe that it is cruel to keep dolphins in captivity, and ignorant to support the practice with their dollars.

I believe that most educated people do believe that it is cruel to keep dolphins in captivity, and ignorant to support the practice with their dollars.

Now let's not get nasty. Education levels do not determine ones views on this subject. I know numerous people with PHD and MD and law degrees that have taken their families on "swim with the dolphin" tours.

How many times can you hit a LIKE button....

By the way, it's PhD.

I see that we have a pedant correcting someone over a trivial issue. :rolleyes: Let's discuss substance, instead. Please cite a statistically valid survey supporting the claim that "most educated people" hold this belief (furthermore, please define "educated").

One could also argue each of the following -- I wonder how those same "educated people" feel, and if they act accordingly with their dollars in every circumstance?

• Going on mass-market cruises is unethical due to the exploitation of the crew members, of which the vast majority are paid very low wages and work inhumanely long hours.
  • Purchasing anything other than fair-trade products in industries such as coffee, chocolate, bananas, gold, diamonds, flowers, etc. is unethical.
  • Purchasing cheaply-made foreign goods is unethical because it takes away domestic jobs and contributes to a throw-away society.

I'm sure we can come up with many more examples of situations that people can be judged over, if we put our heads together.