Holland Panama Canal Cruise

gramdog47

We are cruising the Panama Canal with Holland in Feb 2018. Does anyone have any advice on exercursions that we might consider? Looking for less strenuous activities as we are seniors.

Consider:

A tour of the Miraflores Locks Visitor Center

Ride the Panama Canal railway

Take a trip to Panama City

Are you doing a full transit or a partial transit?

What are your ports?

A full transit from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego. Ports are: Half Moon Cay, Cartagena, Puerto Caldera, Cotina Nicaragua, Puerto Quetzal Guatemala, Puerto Chiapas Mexico and Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

My favorite tour when I did the Panema Canal was the Tortugera canal tour. My mom and dad were with me and in their mid 70's, they did this tour with ease, I highly recommend it if it's offered in Costa Rica.

From your port list, you'll be on the wrong coast of Costa Rica for Tortugera, but there is a nice river/inlet boat ride at Puntarenas (Puerto Caldera). We took one that combined a short train ride with the crocodile boat trip. Also no stop in Aruba :(

At Puerto Quetzal, I would take ship's excursion to Antigua - for the purpose of getting above the humidity! Our PC cruise did not have that port, though.

As far as arranging excursions NOT offered by the ship, those discussions need to happen on your role call (at least as far as specifics). People can volunteer things they have done here, though.

Does anyone know if the Westerdam goes through the new locks now?

The rule of thumb is 'If the ship can pass through the old locks, it will use the old locks'. So, since the Westerdam did fit through the Canal before the new locks opened up, it will continue to use the old locks.

Now, this doesn't mean there might be an odd time (or two) when a Panamax-ship uses the new locks, but it will be an exception.

In Puerto Chiapas there was a local shuttle to the town of Tapachula, which is cute. The price was just $5 or $10, I can't remember, but not expensive. The second time we were there the shuttle was very popular, so there were long waits, so it you plan to use it, get ashore early and get your tickets.

That being said there was a major earthquake on Thursday in Chiapas province, not sure how far from the port, with major damage in some towns, so things may have changed!