Port of Miami - slightly delayed

cot427

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/17747-miami-port-cleanup-in-progress.html

Looks like they found 2 small ships in the channel that must be cleared before the cruise ships and other marine traffic are able to navigate the channel.

New target is 4pm today.

When is Escape targeting arrival? Will they unload passengers and sail out until Saturday or stay docked?

I wonder what the Escape will do between Wednesday and Saturday. Will the just return to sea empty?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I surely do not know, but I would think they would stay in port and get some maint. work done or a little R&R if possible. No reason to go to sea unless port charges are terrible. Only reason they went to sea before was to be safe.

Port Everglades has been cleared to accept shipping later today, but nothing moving yet. 3 cruise ships, 3 tankers, 2 container ships waiting.

Sounds like Miami may be even later, so some ships may divert to PEV and then dock space needs might force Escape to go out and run circles.

Port Everglades has been cleared to accept shipping later today, but nothing moving yet. 3 cruise ships, 3 tankers, 2 container ships waiting.

Sounds like Miami may be even later, so some ships may divert to PEV and then dock space needs might force Escape to go out and run circles.

Thanks for the update. I know you are someone who knows what he's talking about. What is your best guess for the 9/16 Escape sailing? Does it sail as planned?

Thanks for the update. I know you are someone who knows what he's talking about. What is your best guess for the 9/16 Escape sailing? Does it sail as planned?

As I don't know what type of vessel is causing the blockage, nor where, I can't say how long the salvage will take, but if its just a couple of yachts, they should be able to crane them out quickly. Then it comes down to how many ships are backed up for Miami. But, I would be fairly confident on Escape sailing on the 16th. Boarding may be problematic if they have too many ships at the time, and using ad hoc terminals, etc, but at least things are moving.

As I don't know what type of vessel is causing the blockage, nor where, I can't say how long the salvage will take, but if its just a couple of yachts, they should be able to crane them out quickly. Then it comes down to how many ships are backed up for Miami. But, I would be fairly confident on Escape sailing on the 16th. Boarding may be problematic if they have too many ships at the time, and using ad hoc terminals, etc, but at least things are moving.

USA news is reporting 2 sailboats . Cruisenews is reports 2 small ships.

Big difference for sure. Can't imagine the craziness at POM in the next couple of days.

USA news is reporting 2 sailboats . Cruisenews is reports 2 small ships.

Big difference for sure. Can't imagine the craziness at POM in the next couple of days.

It won't be anything compared to what Texas has been going through. Vast numbers of ships anchored off Galveston waiting on dock space, ports of Beaumont/Port Arthur just cleared for operations Saturday, and still had daylight and draft restrictions, couple of ships touched bottom trying to get out, we had a tanker trapped in Vidor for a week, and had to do crew change and storing of food by swamp boat.

It won't be anything compared to what Texas has been going through. Vast numbers of ships anchored off Galveston waiting on dock space, ports of Beaumont/Port Arthur just cleared for operations Saturday, and still had daylight and draft restrictions, couple of ships touched bottom trying to get out, we had a tanker trapped in Vidor for a week, and had to do crew change and storing of food by swamp boat.

Definitely wasn't a good situation in Texas ports.

Daylight restriction in PEV today also.

Per NCL website:

Norwegian Sky will depart as scheduled on Friday, September 15. Norwegian Escape will depart as scheduled for a seven-day Western Caribbean cruise on Saturday, September 16.

I haven't seen a pilot boat approach any of the ships doing circles off the Port of Miami but PEV is open and all three cruise ships have docked. As for the Norwegian Escape, if she can berth tonight into tomorrow then she'll be sailing out tomorrow. They will need the berth space for the Norwegian Sky coming in on Thursday with the refugees. Other ships will likely be coming and going as there is a backlog. The Divina is also out there somewhere too. By the weekend they all should be back to normal operations but itineraries will change due to storm damage in the Caribbean islands.

I haven't seen a pilot boat approach any of the ships doing circles off the Port of Miami but PEV is open and all three cruise ships have docked. As for the Norwegian Escape, if she can berth tonight into tomorrow then she'll be sailing out tomorrow. They will need the berth space for the Norwegian Sky coming in on Thursday with the refugees. Other ships will likely be coming and going as there is a backlog. The Divina is also out there somewhere too. By the weekend they all should be back to normal operations but itineraries will change due to storm damage in the Caribbean islands.

I understand they may have wreckage in the channel and are doing sonar checks to see it the port is cleared for traffic.

bosco

I'm also looking at the POM web cam, but I'm noticing lack of lights on many of the houses in the background :(.

Also it seems the ships are sailing in and docking head on port side without having to turn around in the basin at the end of channel. Prolly they are in a hurry to dock.

Wondering if they are allowing the pax to stay on ship overnight - or are there plenty of cabs and is MIA airport open and available for the flights the pax need to take? What about the hotels - have they reopened?