The "new" Platinum/Elite Cocktail Lounge

Nrknits

I have been on the Grand before and never heard of the Elite lounge. What and where is it?

It is merely a section of an existing venue that is used each evening for people who are Platinum, Elite, or sailing in a Suite to get together for drinks and nibbles. i usually go on Stilton night as I love Stilton and they always (at least the used to :mad:) serve Port as the related drink. There is a reduced price drink each night. Apparently they have changed the drinks which stinks and raised the price which also stinks. On some ships one was able to get any of the "special" drinks (whatever...) any night but on other ships the drink of the evening was strictly enforced. Of course one could always have any drink at regular price.

One less event for us to attend! We've already given up with the "welcome back" cocktail hour with its warm doughballs and fruit punch with a splash of alcohol beverages. The last two times we did the repeaters event, we never got anything to absorb the alcohol and when we asked for an alternative drink, curtly refused our request. Princess, please give me a coupon for a free drink during the cruise.

The Elite/Platinum nightly event was something we enjoyed over the years, meeting others in a relaxed atmosphere, DH love the chairman and I love a good cosmo. The food offerings have been cut back; at one time shrimp tower was offered multiple times; when we did Panama Canal, it was only on the night most of the passengers were on the full day transit. On our 2-week Norway cruise, bar service was very, very slow and the assortment of foods was minimal - the salsa was more bitter onion than tomato, and corn chips were not on the table. Ever try scooping salsa with bread sticks? One night, I went to the Horizon Court Buffet, and brought a plate of nibbles to the Elite Lounge.

Guess we'll simply pre-order vodka and gin for our stateroom, and carry on our own mixers. Seems too many of us are moving up the repeater level, and to reward us, Princess is cutting cost.

Darcy

Too be honest if we go we go more for the snacks, order drinks we like vs what is offerred. If I wanted something missing from the snacks, i.e., corn chips I would ask them... I ask for items in the buffet... if they have they get them. Do not be shy about asking for what you want.

Just off two sailings on the Crown. First sailing the lounge was in skywalkers, and we love that venue for sail away. Had a drink every day, or even two. Floradora is good on the new menu.

But the second sailing they moved the lounge to club fusion. Who wants to go to the venue with basically no windows for sail away??? We didn't go even once in 15 days. Skywalkers is such s great spot and so woefully unused, it makes us sad... it sat empty, with a few book readers. That's where they should put the BOGO and watch revenues soar, instead of having the bar closed till 11 pm... SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only used the elite lounge for fancy munchies. I don't think I've ever ordered any of the special drinks. I plan the nights I intend on going, shrimp fountain and steak tartar are pretty much my only reason for going.

I used to take my plate out to the smoking area, read my book and nibble, but was chastised last time and told I couldn't do that. I asked for the manager and suddenly, I could take them again..

File this one under 'what were they thinking'?? A slap in the face for the P/E/S lounge. Quickest way I know for Princess to alienate its most loyal guests. :mad:

As a postscript, I don't usually post anything negative - especially on the Princess board. But they have deleted some of our favorite cocktails and substituted these new 'creations'. The bottom line: the bottom line. Mixers are cheaper than alcohol.

BOGO is not a status thing. It is available to the poor shlubs too.

Go to the designated bar at the designated time and you may purchase two of the same drink for the regular price of one drink and one additional dollar plus tip. The designated bar and time is frequently the Wheelhouse and 3-4pm during the day and the disco (Skywalkers, maybe) from 10-11pm. Now the designations may change based on ship, cruise length, or other non determinable factor.

Check your Patter for more details.

Other details: You (usually) can purchase as many of the drinks as you desire and drink them or take them with you for later.

If you purchase beers or cans of soda, all the containers may or may not be opened. -- I am of the belief that the "official" policy is to open all containers, but this is not necessarily the practice.

File this one under 'what were they thinking'?? A slap in the face for the P/E/S lounge. Quickest way I know for Princess to alienate its most loyal guests. :mad:

Not just this, but many of the changes over then past few years IMHO have reduced the Princess value. Maybe that's why after 37 Princess cruises our next three, including a World Cruise are with Viking.

I just got off the Crown Tuesday and the drinks are now $6.50 with a limited menu. I didn't read the entire menu because it didn't interest me. There were so many Elites/Platinum's that they had the lounge in club fusion. They could have held it in a cabin there were so few people in attendance.

At the welcome back party there were no appetizers, just watered down punch and wines and a few others. It goes along with the reduction in the MDR menus which had no everyday medallions of beef and cheap food items for the regular dinner. Hamburgers were the everyday beef choice. The Last dinner had things like meatloaf and no more turkey. If Millennials like this I'll be surprised because it is not an upscale experience. I have a few more cruises booked with Princess then I'm switching to smaller more upscale lines.

Thank you for the update. We will be on the Grand in two weeks. I bought DH the AIBP, he can tag along with me and my dad at the afternoon BOGO. Make sure you put your comments on the post cruise survey.

I can see a lot of 40% off bottles of wine in our future. ;) If we want to go to the Elite Lounge, I'll have DH buy a bottle and they can keep it behind the bar for us.

Apparently the 40% off is reduced to 25%

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The "new" Platinum/Elite Cocktail Lounge - UGH! Just off the Grand and experienced this first hand. They are using the Elites as Guinea Pigs and are charging us more for the privilege. None of these drinks can be found on any other drink menu on the the ship, nor are they likely to be. Some very odd combos. Deep Sea Martini - Vodka, Curacao and Pineapple Juice, an odd green color. Cherry Blossom, uses strawberry puree and has a cherry in it. Ports Lemonade, port and Citron Vodka. The only ok one was Tito's Lemon Drop, Tito's and Citron with a spring of mint. We have been pretty faithful attendees of the Cocktail lounge and always enjoyed a discounted pre-dinner cocktail with a view, but this drink menu is not worth it, especially with the new pricing. The BOGO +$1 is a much better deal. It's a shame they think this is a benefit for their loyal passengers.

New platinum member. Does the Ruby have a P/E lounge?

Thank you. As platinum, do we get invitations or how do we find out when they have activities?

There should be a daily schedule card with featured drinks and appetizers listed for each day of the cruise left in your cabin.

It's always 5p to 7p each night except the night there are Captains Circle parties? It will not be held on that night.

I've only used the elite lounge for fancy munchies. I don't think I've ever ordered any of the special drinks. I plan the nights I intend on going, shrimp fountain and steak tartar are pretty much my only reason for going.

I used to take my plate out to the smoking area, read my book and nibble, but was chastised last time and told I couldn't do that. I asked for the manager and suddenly, I could take them again..

It seems strange that they would stop you from eating elsewhere. :confused:

Cruising was once our favorite way to travel. Everyone we knew knew it was our favorite way to travel. And Princess was our favorite line.

In the last two months, we have cancelled three booked cruises, and booked two land-based vacations.

I understand companies have to change to increase their bottom line, but it seems to me that Princess is hell-bent on changing everything all at once, and I'm tired of the changes.

It's clear they won't miss me.