Anthem of the Seas - The Grande Restaurant

Enigma1981

I apologize if this has been asked before, I have searched this site and couldn't find a clear answer.

The Grande Restaurant on The Anthem of the Seas - is it still a "formal only" restaurant, or is it now just one of the 4 MDR's?

What is the current dress code?

I apologize if this has been asked before, I have searched this site and couldn't find a clear answer.

The Grande Restaurant on The Anthem of the Seas - is it still a "formal only" restaurant, or is it now just one of the 4 MDR's?

All 4 of the "free" main restaurants have the same dress suggestions, which are not enforced, so you can wear whatever you want.

Not now. The Grande was formal under the Dynamic Dining concept which has been done away with.

All 4 of the "free" main restaurants have the same dress suggestions, which are not enforced, so you can wear whatever you want.

...............although "suggested dress" will be printed in the Cruise Compass each day.

Since the cancellation of Dynamic Dining, the "usual" dining nights (same as other ships) are on the Anthem. There will be two formal nights if your cruise is 7-10 nights. I can't remember if they add a third one for 12 nighters, although I have been on several. (damn memory)

...............although "suggested dress" will be printed in the Cruise Compass each day.

Since the cancellation of Dynamic Dining, the "usual" dining nights (same as other ships) are on the Anthem. There will be two formal nights if your cruise is 7-10 nights. I can't remember if they add a third one for 12 nighters, although I have been on several. (damn memory)

Only 2 on the t recent 12 nite Brilliance Medit. cruises.

Only 2 on the t recent 12 nite Brilliance Medit. cruises.

My own recollection is that Anthem only had two, but each ship makes its own determination.

Anthem, I think, only has two because of the nature of the itineraries. There are three sea days at each end, bookending port-intensive stops, port calls every day. Therefore there is one on Night 2 and one on the return to Bayonne.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I remember my TA telling me that it was now part of the regular MDR's but the review section here on CruiseCritic still says the Grande is the formal restaurant, which had me confused.

I was just worried that we would be assigned to the Grande and not have formal wear. (We don't go to the MDR on formal night, just the buffet as we don't enjoy dressing up)

My own recollection is that Anthem only had two, but each ship makes its own determination.

Anthem, I think, only has two because of the nature of the itineraries. There are three sea days at each end, bookending port-intensive stops, port calls every day. Therefore there is one on Night 2 and one on the return to Bayonne.

Same with the Brilliance. The 2nd was on a sea day on next to the last night.

Thank you all for your quick replies. I remember my TA telling me that it was now part of the regular MDR's but the review section here on CruiseCritic still says the Grande is the formal restaurant, which had me confused.

I was just worried that we would be assigned to the Grande and not have formal wear. (We don't go to the MDR on formal night, just the buffet as we don't enjoy dressing up)

Be sure to check the dates on those reviews.

Dynamic Dining was killed in late November 2016.

We sailed on Anthem when they had dynamic dining. We loved it and took formal wear to eat in the Grande which was a treat. Superb fine dining and not that busy as many didn’t want the formality. Their halibut dish was to die for. Alas Royal wimped out and dropped dynamic dining (us Brits loved it on Anthem’s maiden season but the ex US cruisers apparently hated it) so now you how 4 weirdly themed dining rooms serving the same food, without the halibut or lobster each evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person and I've cruise on Royal several times, just never on a Quantum class. The dinning on this ship was by far the most confusing cruise related thing I've ever researched hahaha. I found references to the old Dynamic dinning still present on Royal's own website (no surprise there though) and even on CruiseCritic own description of the ship, just like you did. I don't cruise on her until April, but what the others are saying on this post seems to be the actual answer. The only difference between the four dinning rooms is the decor and My Time vs traditional.

Don't cheat yourself out of the MDR on the formal nights. The dress is just a suggestion, and while many do follow it, many do not. The hostess does not care what you are wearing and won't deny you entry based on your clothing, and if other guests have an issue with what you wear, that is their problem, not yours.

Don't cheat yourself out of the MDR on the formal nights. The dress is just a suggestion, and while many do follow it, many do not. The hostess does not care what you are wearing and won't deny you entry based on your clothing, and if other guests have an issue with what you wear, that is their problem, not yours.

Hello there. We were on the Anthem for the Nov. 27 2016 cruise This was the date that they went back to traditional dining, thank you Royal. Don't have to pack extra clothes for formal nights. Plus when going into the Grande on non formal nights, even when smartly casually dressed they would hand you this off the rack jacket. Who knows what was in it. It was great dining in a wonderful atmosphere without hassle. Will be on Anthem again for a b2b in Dec. no suits, no jackets, less to pack, got to love it. And by the way, the food in the MDR's on Anthem is outstanding. Even on "formal nights". So don't lose out. Go for it :) :cool:

Do Not miss lunch in the Main Dinning rooms its amazing. Outside of specialties my favorite meals.

The Grande is just a another MDR nothing special same menu same dress code.

I think the confusion comes from once something is on the internet ( Old Dynamic Dinning) it never dies. I also have no idea who or if someone (JK) works in RCCL's IT department but they are never ever on top of stuff.

I'm just back from Anthem and dinner at The Grande was one of the highlights of my cruise. We had late traditional seating, at 8:15pm. I would say the room was less than half capacity each night. We ended up being moved to a table for two which was fine by us. It's a very relaxing environment, light piano music, dim lights, and very quiet as it was pretty empty. The service was almost too quick at times. I can't give enough praise for the food. My favorite entrees were Beef Wellington and the roast duck. The lamb was also delicious. For starters, loved the wedge salad, beet and citrus salad, and crab cake. The only thing I didn't think was very good was the crispy shrimp appetizer, it was similar to what you might find at a Chinese buffet restaurant, not so crispy, limp breading. I wish we had gone for lunch but the timing wasn't right for us having had too much breakfast on the late side each day.