Anthem out of Cape Liberty Question!

Going on my bucket list trip to NYC and then on the Anthem. What side of the ship would sail past the statue of Liberty? I have a balcony and would love to sail past her!

Unless there are special circumstances, Anthem does not normally sail past the statue. The port side normally faces the statue while in port, and after the ship turns south right after leaving the dock, the aft portion has the best view.

Going on my bucket list trip to NYC and then on the Anthem. What side of the ship would sail past the statue of Liberty? I have a balcony and would love to sail past her!

Anthem does not sail "past" the Statue of Liberty. You can see it from the ship, but it doesn't get any closer than when you are in port. When we sailed a few weeks ago, the ship pointed docked with the bow pointing out toward the Verrazano, so Manhattan and Liberty Island could be seen from the port side. I'm not positive it always docks that way, but obviously, even if she backs out, she will be turned around shortly thereafter, with the port side facing toward NYC.

If you want to sail "past" the statue, you need to be on a ship that departs from Manhattan or Brooklyn. Bayonne is located south of the statue. As others mentioned above, you want to be port side when docked or aft when sailing away.

I seem to recall a couple of time where then has sailed up the Hudson to the statue before heading out.

I was on one last year that announced the Capt. was giving the passengers a special treat and was sailing past the statue.

I was on one last year that announced the Capt. was giving the passengers a special treat and was sailing past the statue.

I've seen it done near some patriotic holidays but I don't know how often it is done at those times. It may also depend on if they have enough extra time.

I've seen it done near some patriotic holidays but I don't know how often it is done at those times. It may also depend on if they have enough extra time.

It would be nice if they went left out of the port and went past the Statue Of Liberty for VETERAN'S DAY.

We sail on Nov. 11 VETERAN'S DAY. (Anthem)

Thanks! :)

I had seen some youtubes of the ships going past it and didn't realize!

Anthem did sail by the Statue of Liberty a couple of times last year but it was when it left on the 9 night sailings to NE/Canada. It is not a typical thing it does. You can see the statue in the distance and get some nice pictures. It is also neat to do Northstar after you go under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. You get a nice view of the area.

Thanks! :)

I had seen some youtubes of the ships going past it and didn't realize!

As others have pointed out, Anthem does not(usually) sail past the Statue. Yesterday, Vision left Bayonne and did sail up to the Statue, passed it and turned around which allowed the starboard side to be closer after the port side was on the sail up. Summit infrequently sails past the Statue as well...so it is not totally out of possibility.

Is the Statue close by the port that we could check in with our luggage and leave the ship to visit before we need to be back on board? We have relatives a couple hours from the port and will be spending the night with them the night before the cruise.

I'd try to visit the statue the day before the cruise.

Is the Statue close by the port that we could check in with our luggage and leave the ship to visit before we need to be back on board? We have relatives a couple hours from the port and will be spending the night with them the night before the cruise.

Unless you stay in the Newark, Secaucus, Jersey City area, you won't have time to make a ferry trip out to the SOL, but you could drive over to Liberty State Park (Exit 14B) to get a closer view from the shore.

Could you provide more details so we can look at your timing? How much is "a couple hours from the port" and where do your relatives live? What exact date would you be doing this?

They live north of Poughkeepsie. I just used google map to map the route again and saw that a Friday morning is not a good time to travel. We will be coming in on a Sat morning.

If you really want to go by it, leave very early Saturday morning, go to liberty state park (buy tickets ahead of time), take the ferry and just stay onboard (about an hour and 15 minutes round trip) and then drive to cape liberty.

Also please consider seeing the 9/11 Memorial that is <usually> on the starboard side near the ship's bow when docked in Bayonne. It is a beautiful, poignant and very large monument given to us by the Russians. The base has all the victims names around it. It (to us) shows the towers split down the middle with a giant tear drop between them. Very moving.