Panama Canal Cruise

Bustersmom

Have not cruised in over 8 years but considering a Panama Canal Cruise for hubby and I. We have only cruised to the Caribbean On Princess 3 times but this is a destination we both think we would enjoy in 2018. Can any of you recommend best time of the year and/or the particular ship we might choose? Any help is so appreciated!! The value of the knowledge on this board is priceless.

Have not cruised in over 8 years but considering a Panama Canal Cruise for hubby and I. We have only cruised to the Caribbean On Princess 3 times but this is a destination we both think we would enjoy in 2018. Can any of you recommend best time of the year and/or the particular ship we might choose? Any help is so appreciated!! The value of the knowledge on this board is priceless.

A full transit? (its the best choice)

November thru February (or so) will enable you to avoid most of the rainy season.

Coral Princess would be my choice.

Come join us on the 3/21/18 10- day partial on the Coral. It’s a very nice mid-sized ship. We were on her for Alaska 7 day and never felt crowded. Stops include Aruba, Cartagena, Costa Rica. I am looking forward to 4 full sea days lounging on our balcony. [emoji432][emoji484]. Of course if you have the time a 2 week full transit would be the best of everything...Atlantic Pacific Caribbean and Mexican Coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fall is hurricane season, think this week's storm. Early December until the actual Christmas cruise maybe has the best value. A Christmas/New Year's cruise will have more children. Full transit is really nice. If doing a full transit I would book the Coral Princess. I am not a fan of the Island Princess since they took away the entire public stern area, added cabins for 200+ passengers, limited the amount of viewing space as well as not increasing the size of the DR's and other dining areas. Partial transits are also nice and they are RT same port. I have been there 4 times and it is always hot. On our March sailing the sun was very strong being just about directly overhead. You could not really stand out in the sun for more than a few mins.

Come join us on the 3/21/18 10- day partial on the Coral. It’s a very nice mid-sized ship. We were on her for Alaska 7 day and never felt crowded. Stops include Aruba, Cartagena, Costa Rica. I am looking forward to 4 full sea days lounging on our balcony. [emoji432][emoji484]. Of course if you have the time a 2 week full transit would be the best of everything...Atlantic Pacific Caribbean and Mexican Coast.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I did look at this one-love Aruba-one of fav land vac over and over again! Thanks so much for the info! and again, Coral seems to be the choice. Many Thanks!!

Fall is hurricane season, think this week's storm. Early December until the actual Christmas cruise maybe has the best value. A Christmas/New Year's cruise will have more children. Full transit is really nice. If doing a full transit I would book the Coral Princess. I am not a fan of the Island Princess since they took away the entire public stern area, added cabins for 200+ passengers, limited the amount of viewing space as well as not increasing the size of the DR's and other dining areas. Partial transits are also nice and they are RT same port. I have been there 4 times and it is always hot. On our March sailing the sun was very strong being just about directly overhead. You could not really stand out in the sun for more than a few mins.

Oh Thank you so much for the indepth info-seems like Coral is the ship-and after watching what has been an extraordinary weather season- will think carefully about my season to travel.

Just to be different...let me put in a vote for the Pacific.

We did a B2B full transit both ways (34 days). Amazing!!

Wonderful small ship.:D

Sounds amazing! Not sure a full transit would work for us but can add it to the future bucket list!! I am happy to hear everyone appears to enjoy the "smaller ship". I think we would also.

We did the Island in February 2015, (FL-LA) full transit, before the changes were made----best cruise ever! In the Pacific we saw lots of sea turtles swimming along the ship and many whale sightings! Recently we booked the Coral for February 2019,(SF-FL) same cabin. I liked the Island & Coral because they have the indoor pool. On those very hot days it's nice to get out of the sun, at least for me!

We did the partial last October into November on the Coral. Great ship, great crew and the Canal was amazing. We had some very brief showers at the Canal but nothing to be concerned about. Perfect trip except Jamaica. Just a waste in my opinion. We were just talking last night about doing it again last night, maybe Fall 2019.

After much research, we decided that January would offer the best weather- drier and least humid. Also, decided on the Coral; great reviews. We will be doing a full transit in January and she is currently schedules for the old locks.

After much research, we decided that January would offer the best weather- drier and least humid. Also, decided on the Coral; great reviews. We will be doing a full transit in January and she is currently schedules for the old locks.

(y) Great decision on the January full transit and on Coral!

Feel sure you'll a wonderful time! :D

Are you on the January 20, Fort Lauderdale to Los Angeles cruise?