Child falls 2 stories in ship at port

LMaxwell

Think like a child for a moment. What’s easier? to lift yourself up above the railing & lean forward (which is a difficult & risky maneuver) or to kneel down and look through the glass to the decks below. I believe she must have had something to climb up on in order to have fallen over the railing.

Suppose she was trying to see someone she'd been on the elevator with and who got off one deck below and she was leaning over to try to spot them? Looking through the glass wouldn't work. Also, she could have been panicking a bit getting separated from her mother and being in a crowded, noisy situation. Some 8 year olds might be OK with that but others might be terrified.

This is almost reads like a PETA ad. Leashes are MURDER! :')

I know - I can't help laugh about this one. To each their own, but there is nothing cruel about a leash on a very small child. Think how tired your arm would be if you walked around for hours with some giant holding it up in the air.

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

b981f331ff0d399dd36bc802014b106e.jpg

When I was a child, there was a village raising us. Neighbors looked out for each others' kids as well as their own. If we got in trouble, whatever parent caught us chewed us out and then took us home for a second chewing out.

I wish the "village" still existed. We children were loved, kept safe, and had tremendous respect for the adults in our world.

Part of today's problems is parents who say that no one but them has a right to reprimand their children or even to look out for their safety. Too many children have contempt for authority figures because their parents take their sides against those figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I grew up in the 50's. I would go out on my bike and be gone for hours, but knew my limits. It was so different back then. Mother's were home and did watch out for all the kids, but I don't think that is what today's "village" is all about.

As soon as the quote came out that they were interested in JUSTICE, I lost all empathy. If they really wanted justice, the parents would go to jail for reckless endangerment.

I heard that too, from the uncle, that they wanted "justice". Didn't sit very well with me either.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

This is such a tragic story. I was on the Glory the week before this happened and I believe there are some tables and chairs across from the shops at the rails - (I think) when I saw them I actually thought to myself - that is a weird place for those but I could easily see a kid stepping up on the chairs and leaning over. Actually I could see an adult doing this as well especially when they are doing stuff at the lobby bar - for example when Dustin is doing his trivia in the evening. They probably have already removed them. - I hope so at least.

In regards to the family - the person that said they were taking legal action was a great uncle - I don't think we even know how close he is to the family - you know things like this brings out the strange in people.

Blaming the mother for being on her cell phone is just judgemental. Unless you witnessed this horrible event - don't judge - there are many parents that have taken their eye off their child for a millisecond and lived to regret it. Pretty sure none of us are perfect parents.

And for the person who said put a leash on the child - are you freaking for real? I couldn't believe the statement ok well maybe a disabled child - all I can say is that obviously you have never had any time with a disabled child.

Ok rant over.

Bless this family and that poor child may she rest in peace.

I heard that too, from the uncle, that they wanted "justice". Didn't sit very well with me either.

If one looks up the word "justice" and it's meaning, it has nothing to do with this child falling. The uncle seems to insinuate that it's some how Carnivals fault that this child fell to her death. What does he mean by justice? That someone picked her up and dumped her over the railing? I don't know how one gets justice out of this accident. Maybe negligence on the mother for not watching what the child was doing before she went over the rail. Maybe looking for some excuse to sue, which IMHO, would be dirty money. I wouldn't feel right taking any money on behalf of the death of my child. It wouldn't bring the child back.

We were just on the Sensation last week. My son is three and can clearly see through the glass on these railing. But the first thing he did was grab the top edge and try to pull himself up because he "want to see". He was reprimanded and not allowed near the railings again.

Thank you for being a responsible parent and for watching what your child was doing. We don't need no villages to do what you did. To leave our children for others to take care of and be responsible for IMHO is being an irresponsible parent. Far too many irresponsible parents around. When a member of the village says something to your little Johnny, it's Johnny who goes running to Mom or Dad and says something irrational about the reprimand. The irresponsible parent comes after you and then.........

No it doesn't take a village to raise a child, it takes a mother and father to raise a child. I would never render my child over to a village to take care of my child.

b981f331ff0d399dd36bc802014b106e.jpg

When I was a child, there was a village raising us. Neighbors looked out for each others' kids as well as their own. If we got in trouble, whatever parent caught us chewed us out and then took us home for a second chewing out.

I wish the "village" still existed. We children were loved, kept safe, and had tremendous respect for the adults in our world.

Part of today's problems is parents who say that no one but them has a right to reprimand their children or even to look out for their safety. Too many children have contempt for authority figures because their parents take their sides against those figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I originally posted that pic above and I stand by it. There were 6 of us kids, none of us needed a village to raise us. We had parents who knew where we were 24/7. They knew our friends, they knew their parents. We raised 2 children the same way, we didn't give them over to any village (other people). There were certain people in "the village" that we did not allow them to associate with, and the same with me growing up. We don't live in Utopia, the world has gotten a lot more riskier, more dangerous, and it's no longer what we grew up with where there was still some respect left for each other. Sadly this is the way it is now a days.

That’s where I was until the “Justice” thing came out.

And we keep using the plural word “Parents” when only one parent cruised with the child.

I’m certainly not saying single parents shouldn’t cruise with their kids, but all this talk of hand and leash holding.... How exactly does that work when you have a newborn in one hand and at least a diaper bag in the other.

At least we’re off the “That child should have been in school” kick. If the elevator was so crowded that little this little girl squeezed in the front and then got out with traffic before her floor getting separated from her mom, they could have avoided this my waiting by taking the stairs or debarking later. Any decision made by Mom up to a few seconds before this accident might have changed the outcome, doesn’t mean any of them were wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The late debarking thing is what I always do. I hate the crowds and chaos that happens. We go to the buffet, eat and sit on the lido deck until they call for last call of people to get off.

BTW I have an 11 yr old that I have taken on 10 cruises--when she was younger..yes on a kid leash. Otherwise she is always right next to me and even now still holds my hand near railings.

If you search Naquanda Lyons on Facebook she was standing in the same area as the little girl and her family and gives her account of what she saw. It does sound as though she was leaning on the rail and then was bumped.

It also sounds, at least according to the Miami Herald version, that Uncle Damien is out for "justice" $$$$ followed by a quote from a lawyer whose firm has sued Carnival around 1,000 times almost always settling out of court. What a racket earning cash form someone else's misery.

If you search Naquanda Lyons on Facebook she was standing in the same area as the little girl and her family and gives her account of what she saw. It does sound as though she was leaning on the rail and then was bumped.

I searched, but on her page, all I see is pics.

nzrx2d

IMG_6381-M.jpg

nzrx2d

This higher ledge has been mentioned a few times now in this thread, but I'm having trouble remembering exactly where it is located. Does anyone know if it is near or part of the grand staircase? I'm pretty sure that taller ledge does not extend all the way down to the corner where the elevators are.

Edited by georgiacruizer
Clarity

Possibly -

Tippy toes does not equate the child being high enough to go over. She would need to climb or be lifted.

Exactly. My 8 year old granddaughter is at the upper end of the height curve for her age. She's 50 inches tall. The 40" railing hits just below her shoulders. If she stood on her tiptoes, she could put her arms over, but that would not overbalance her and make her fall over the rail, even if somebody bumped her. (Even if she stood up on the ledge, the rail would still hit her well above the waist.)

Either the child climbed up and went over or somebody lifted her. Sadly, nobody intervened - neither the parent nor the village.

Judy

I searched, but on her page, all I see is pics.

If you scroll through to October 14th where she has a picture of the scene, her account is in the comments. Not sure she is looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She witnessed it and is telling her account. If I witnessed it I would want the family to know what I saw to help. And looking at the picture from the previous poster, if the little girl was standing on that lower silver portion and on her tippy toes she very well could have been leaning over the rail and top heavy. I am praying that this was all captured on camera and the mother can get answers. Screw what the Uncle is saying. The mother was grieving in the hospital when he made the comment and for all we know she could care less about getting legal council other than to get the tapes to see what happened to her baby. If legal council is what it takes to get things moving along and find out if this is in fact what happened then I would sure be getting legal council too. I wouldn't say my little ones would NEVER do something like that or there is no way I would ever take my eyes off my children because we are not perfect. I would like to think I am a stellar parent. But accidents happen and this one just rips my heart out.

If you scroll through to October 14th where she has a picture of the scene, her account is in the comments. Not sure she is looking for her 15 minutes of fame. She witnessed it and is telling her account. If I witnessed it I would want the family to know what I saw to help. And looking at the picture from the previous poster, if the little girl was standing on that lower silver portion and on her tippy toes she very well could have been leaning over the rail and top heavy. I am praying that this was all captured on camera and the mother can get answers. Screw what the Uncle is saying. The mother was grieving in the hospital when he made the comment and for all we know she could care less about getting legal council other than to get the tapes to see what happened to her baby. If legal council is what it takes to get things moving along and find out if this is in fact what happened then I would sure be getting legal council too. I wouldn't say my little ones would NEVER do something like that or there is no way I would ever take my eyes off my children because we are not perfect. I would like to think I am a stellar parent. But accidents happen and this one just rips my heart out.

I don't see anything posted on the 14th or pics of the scene.

I've never been on Facebook but when I read quotes from someone that include "I guess" and "I assume" I get a little skeptical about whether or not they saw anything. Hence, the 15 minutes of fame idea.

Possibly -

Tippy toes does not equate the child being high enough to go over. She would need to climb or be lifted.

Exactly.

The Miami Herald article quotes Naquanda Lyons as saying "I can only assume someone accidentally bumped her over the railing." That does not sound like an eyewitness account of what exactly happened. She may have witnessed her on her tippy toes and she may have witnessed the aftermath but it certainly doesn't sound like she actually saw her go over the railing.