Filing a Ins. claim due to trip cancellation of destination

Actually I have "cancel for any reason" which I purchased thru my TA however its only for 50%.. Travel Guard said it would come under trip cancellation and trip interruption (if I cancel) "the insured 's destination being made uninhabitable" etc. which San Juan and St Martin is.

The invoice states it was a Eastern Caribbean cruise Now with the port changes to Jamaica Nassau & labadee (their port) Its a Western . and 3 small ports at that.

here's the thing: there is STILL a destination. it may not be the destination you want, but the cruise has not been canceled and you are going to the Caribbean. and based on the contract which clearly states that ports can be changed or skipped for any reason, you cannot claim that just because a specific port is being missed that you are entitled to a payout.

I have this Nationwide policy for our upcoming 11/5 Oasis cruise which was changed from Labadee/St. Martin/San Juan to Nassau/Costa Maya/Cozumel. It looks like I may have a claim. I will call on Monday and report back with my results. We'll see what "up to" means.

"In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment. "

I had no idea - thanks, CC!

Keep us posted, have the same policy for my upcoming trip!

John in NC

To all those that think their insurance will cover them in some way because the ports have changed? Not a chance.

Not unless there is some specific clause in your insurance contract that says they'll cover port changes or something somehow.

Your vacation is not cancelled. Your destination is the ship is still leaving on time. There is no cancellation or trip interruption.

You can't file a claim until after the fact. If you cancel and insurance decides against you, guess what?

To all those that think their insurance will cover them in some way because the ports have changed? Not a chance.

Not unless there is some specific clause in your insurance contract that says they'll cover port changes or something somehow.

Your vacation is not cancelled. Your destination is the ship is still leaving on time. There is no cancellation or trip interruption.

You can't file a claim until after the fact. If you cancel and insurance decides against you, guess what?

I am aware I would have to cancel the trip. And I still may. I was just asking questions on this board for some clarification.

At least I'm glad it made some aware that their policy would cover a similar situation in that they are covered under the literary change in their Natl. Ins policy.

I have this Nationwide policy for our upcoming 11/5 Oasis cruise which was changed from Labadee/St. Martin/San Juan to Nassau/Costa Maya/Cozumel. It looks like I may have a claim. I will call on Monday and report back with my results. We'll see what "up to" means.

"In the event a Cruise makes a Change in Your Trip Itinerary prior to Your actual departure date we will pay up to the Maximum Benefit shown on the Confirmation of Coverage.

Change in Your Trip Itinerary shall mean the Cruise has a documented change of Port of Call from the scheduled itinerary.

Verification by the Cruise of the change in the scheduled Trip Itinerary will be necessary for claim payment. "

Looks like Nationwide has that specific clause.

Nationwide has changed the wording on its coverage to make it sound like it’s one payment per person if there is a port change now, it used to be per port (meaning you could claim 3 times if all 3 ports were changed). They pay $500/$750/$1250 per person depending on which level of coverage you took, and it does state ‘so long as you still take the cruise’.

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-choice.html

OP you would need to actually cancel your cruise before you could submit a claim to your insurance company, because you need to show that the cruise line has not reimbursed you in order for you to have any claim to start with. I personally don’t think you have much of a chance here, I’d take the cruise and just try to make the best of it.

Nationwide has changed the wording on its coverage to make it sound like it’s one payment per person if there is a port change now, it used to be per port (meaning you could claim 3 times if all 3 ports were changed). They pay $500/$750/$1250 per person depending on which level of coverage you took, and it does state ‘so long as you still take the cruise’.

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-choice.html

OP you would need to actually cancel your cruise before you could submit a claim to your insurance company, because you need to show that the cruise line has not reimbursed you in order for you to have any claim to start with. I personally don’t think you have much of a chance here, I’d take the cruise and just try to make the best of it.

I have a policy purchased a while back & I do remember this.

itinerary Changes

• Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience after departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

Looks like Nationwide has that specific clause.

I had this policy from Nationwide which I specifically purchased because we were cruising during hurricane season last August. Sure enough, our ports changed, which actually didn't happen until during the cruise (not announced before departure).

Nationwide did pay out on the policy to us. It was covered under a slughtly different clause, one that mentioned "convenience" impact or something. It was a smaller payout than if they change it before departure. But it was per person and I think we got $400 total.

We had to send them documentation of the change (you get a letter in your cabin) and proof that you went on the cruise (copy of final invoive with on board charges). Very easy & quick.

as far as the ship being my destination, in my policy it reads in definitions : “Destination” means any place where the Insured expects totravel to on his/her Trip other than Return Destination as shownon the travel documents.

That language seems to work in your favor but the "uninhabitable" part probably is impossible to prove since you are not lodging at any port of call.

That language seems to work in your favor but the "uninhabitable" part probably is impossible to prove since you are not lodging at any port of call.

What if it is deemed uninhabitable for the general population and residents following a named event? Would that extrapolate to make it unfit as a destination or port of call?

What if it is deemed uninhabitable for the general population and residents following a named event? Would that extrapolate to make it unfit as a destination or port of call?

All of this is pure speculation. Ultimately the insurance company decides. But if the cruise line can change ports for any reason, then how can one prove what the reason is?

Your contract states that itineraries can be changed. I highly doubt you will win this.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Sorry but I have to agree with this. In your Cruise contract it states that the cruiseline can change your itinerary for any reason and at any time.

I doubt your travel insurance will cover this. If it were me just go ahead and enjoy your cruise no matter where you are going. There are people back at your work who would beg to be on a ship going anywhere.

Just enjoy yourselves and you are not forced to get off at any port if you so chose to stay onboard.

There are so many different policies nobody but your insurance can answer this. File the claim and see what happens. Send them your receipt with the itinerary you booked and the message you received for the new itinerary. It costs nothing to file the claim. They probably have many of them.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Nationwide and we will indeed be eligible for this benefit. I have to wait until we return to file the claim, and I'll need to show proof of the itinerary change (I have documentation of this) and proof we actually took the trip. The bottom line is that we will receive $750/pp - that's $1500! Sure does ease the disappointment in the itinerary change!

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Nationwide and we will indeed be eligible for this benefit. I have to wait until we return to file the claim, and I'll need to show proof of the itinerary change (I have documentation of this) and proof we actually took the trip. The bottom line is that we will receive $750/pp - that's $1500! Sure does ease the disappointment in the itinerary change!

Good for you! Which Nationwide policy did you buy?

Awesome!

Out of curiosity, when did you get this policy? I assume that you had to have it before the storms were named, or was that not the case?

Awesome!

Out of curiosity, when did you get this policy? I assume that you had to have it before the storms were named, or was that not the case?

I bought it on August 2, before the Hurricanes that affected our itinerary - I'm not sure whether that would have mattered.

BTW - I always buy insurance and I buy it right before final payment - so that was the reason for the timing.