19 yr old son

DisnyMik

Hello all!! It's been awhile since I've been on these boards! I've missed this:)

I am thinking of taking my 19yo son on a cruise just the two of us. DH says we need to get away 👍 DS hasn't been on a cruise since he was in HS and in the teen club, which he loved. He is very social and doesn't mind meeting new ppl.

My question is what does a 19 yo do on a cruise when not cruising with a friend? I know he won't, and don't expect, him to hang around me all the time and that's fine. I'm good to plant myself at the pool or seeing a show by myself if he's off doing stuff.

So what will he do? LOL

I don't think they have a "club" for that age group, right? He doesn't drink so not sure what the drinking age is on the ships, or if he can get into the clubs to dance even. I'm so not up to date on this age group and cruising. Apologies for my ignorance. He hasn't been on anything smaller than the Disney Wonder and Freedom of the Seas. We are thinking Enchantment in the next few weeks. Or should we do Independence?

I'm just not sure about the amount of young ppl his age on a smaller ship like Enchantment.

Hopefully this all makes sense!

Thank you 😊

If you do Independence he will meet plenty of people around his age on the sports deck. There are always basketball, volleyball, etc. pick up games going on. It is easy to meet people hanging around the flowrider. I think he would find plenty to do for the times when mom and son need a little break from each other. I've never been on Enchantment so I can't really make a comparison for you.

I know that on several of the cruises we have been on that at night in the clubs, they do "card" via the sea pass card those who looked younger (not us of course). I do know that they did have dancing at night until a certain time for the older teens (under 21). Like above, don't know which ship you are sailing on but my older sons managed to find similar aged teens via the roll call.

I do not know how many 19-21yr olds will be on a cruise in oct/nov unless maybe thanksgiving weekend. Many in this age group are in some sort of school this time of year. Christmas/January, Spring break time in March or Summer would probably increase the number of young adults available for him to meet and hang out with. I am not sure if that works with your schedule.

I have seen some ships do have a get together the first sea day for 19-21 year olds. Mind didn't go because we were traveling with other friends or cousins. Check and see if you can find a cruise compass for your ship. And join the roll call for your sailing.

One of the things I like about cruising is that the evening activities aren't drinking dependent. There's no two drink minimum or cover charge, so it's easy to go from one spot to another, listening to live music, dancing, people watching, whatever. Aside from purchasing alcohol, he can do anything a 21 year old and up can do. My husband ended up playing pool in the Music Box one night with some young 20-somethings. People tend to be open and friendly and he will probably enjoy feeling like an adult.

Having been through one kid in the age group of 18-20 and now with another starting to I'll tell you it's a whole lot better if they bring a friend from home. My first kid at 18 was stuck to us like glue and really didn't have as good of a time as he had previously. We started bringing a friend along and it makes all the difference in the world. They tend to be more social when they have that one friend and always lead them to more on the cruise. My dd is bringing one next summer on the Anthem because they really don't cater to kids during those 3 years of 18-20.

A 19 year old will do what you would do....he and his friend will "hang out"...probably at the pool or sports deck. At 19, he will be allowed to gamble, too!

There are no organized activities for young adults....just whatever adult activities are offered to all!

I have a son who enjoys cruises and is just about to turn 21. He has been on quite a few cruises and this is what he does and enjoys ...

Get involved in any sports related activities, especially organised ones.

Have a go at rock climbing, zip wire etc. So that latest ships appeal most to him.

Go to the evening shows plus meet with us for evening meal.

Explore the ship.

Spend some time in the gym.

Everyone is different but I have found that with my two children the latest ships (Oasis class and Quantum class) appeal most from a things to do perspective.

One other factor to consider is an itinerary which has lots of port stops and not so many sea days. This then makes it less about the ship and more about exploring the destinations.

A lot of it will depend on his personality. As others have said, if he's into sports it's easy to meet people around the sport courts. Usually it's just me and DD cruising, and many times she has just chosen to hang out with me, which is fine with me as I don't get enough time with her as it is. That 18-20 age range is awkward on cruises.

Not meaning to be harsh, but a couple of people have indicated that 18-20 is tough on kids.

Totally don't understand. They are not "kids" - I think parents need to remember they are young adults!

They are able to do anything all passengers do, except drink alcohol; many people do not drink, and enjoy their cruise.

Most are in college, working, military, etc., could be married. They socialize and enjoy their cruise just like any other passenger. They make friends and have a good time - no different than "adults" who cruise solo.

19 can get them into any of the venues on the ship. I don't think there are any 21+ events other than wine/spirit tastings. On independence, I met a ton (A TON) of young adults around the ship. Sports deck, On Air club (karaoke and trivia), and even the nightclub on the first meet and mingle night. I think 19 is too old for Fuel and the Living room which are teen venues but I could be wrong. In which case, those are options too.

And it can be just as difficult for adults who cruise solo... so your point is? Again, it totally depends on the personality of the person. Some just aren't that willing to walk into a gathering alone, which can hinder meeting others.

While they aren't kids any longer, they're not quite (entirely) adults... so they're tweeners.

Having been through one kid in the age group of 18-20 and now with another starting to I'll tell you it's a whole lot better if they bring a friend from home. My first kid at 18 was stuck to us like glue and really didn't have as good of a time as he had previously. We started bringing a friend along and it makes all the difference in the world. They tend to be more social when they have that one friend and always lead them to more on the cruise. My dd is bringing one next summer on the Anthem because they really don't cater to kids during those 3 years of 18-20.

This is TOTALLY subjective. Maybe YOUR kid doesn't feel comfortable meeting people by himself, but the OP specifically stated, "He is very social and doesn't mind meeting new ppl."

Anyone with an outgoing personality will meet people in any number of situations. My senior year of high school (back in the 1980s!) my family cruised on HAL, and I hung out with a couple of 70-something retirees most of the week, as their wives were usually off doing "girly" stuff that didn't interest the husbands. Those guys were a hoot, and they treated me like a friend, not a granddaughter.

The last few cruises I've been on, I've befriended a group of high school kids and a group of college kids (I'm 48yo now). And some people in their 30s and in their 50s and some in their 60s.

It's not about age, and it's not about alcohol (I very rarely drink booze -- only reason I had one drink in my last three cruises was b/c someone bought it for me in honor of my birthday).

If you're willing to strike up a conversation with someone, you WILL meet people to hang out with. If you're not comfortable approaching strangers, you might do better bringing along a friend.

It's all about attitude.

I now have 2 kids in that over 18 but under 21 category. We've been on cruises with jsut one of them along a couple of times:

Often there is a meet up in the night club listed on the navigator for the first night or two for that age range (as others have said--your son can't drink if the cruise leaves from the US, but he can go into the clubs)

At least twice one of the younger people on a cruise heavy on retirees, posted on a facebook page and planned a meet up for the first afternoon and by the time we set sail several of the 25 and under set were chatting online and they were seen toegther as a group throughout the ship for two weeks.

My older one tend to make friends with seniors as often as people their own age-----I am forever running into them playing scrabble in a lounge or something.

my yougner one hangs out with all ages. He has friends he's played progressive trivia with on multiple cruises who probably have grandkids older than he is; he meets people his own age at the club or the wave runner or by the chess sets and pool tables in radiance class ships (his favourite place to meet people), etc.

Niether has ever found cruising in this age range boring.