Early flight out of Fort Lauderdale

2wheelin

All our ships have arrived in time and usually we get off the ship in good time. However, last year we flew out of Fort Lauderdale after leaving the ship. Because of all the other cruise ships also in port that day, the line for security was incredibly long. The line was so long it actually left one building, went into a walkway area, and into another building. Something to keep in mind. We were happy not to have an early flight.

All our ships have arrived in time and usually we get off the ship in good time. However, last year we flew out of Fort Lauderdale after leaving the ship. Because of all the other cruise ships also in port that day, the line for security was incredibly long. The line was so long it actually left one building, went into a walkway area, and into another building. Something to keep in mind. We were happy not to have an early flight.

my first cruise, I had wheelchair assist because of a medical issue, and the security line at FLL was over an hour long because of all the ships in port at Miami and Fort Lauderdale. We got to skip the line because I couldn't stand or walk for long periods. When we got to the gate, we saw two different families denied boarding because their seats had already been given away because they weren't at the gate 15 minutes prior to boarding. They were stuck in the security line.

ymmv, but I wouldn't chance it.

We just had an incident this past Monday in Miami. My daughter and dad had a flight booked out of FLL at 12:40pm. We thought we'd be fine. When I called to schedule the shuttle they reassured me it would be fine. The ship came into port on time but there was some kind of hold up when people started debarking. Whatever the issue was, the shuttle driver was waiting for them when they arrived and he hustled to get them to the airport on time. Fortunately, there was almost no traffic and almost no line at security and they got to the gate just as their flight started boarding. Too close for comfort for me.

I know it is not advised to book a flight very early for return, but how often have ships returned late or not started debarkation on time? What are peoples experiences with airport arrival time? Sailing Conquest early Dec.

How is anyone going to know what will happen or not on your cruise.

In answer to the OP, all but one of our returns to port everglades have been on time. However we have experienced long lines at immigration once off the ship and in the terminal so time out of the terminal has varied depending on how many ships are in port and how many immigration officers are present.

One time we returned during the week and were the only ship in port. We finally cleared immigration and were out of the terminal after 10 AM and we had early disembarkation. There were only three immigration officers working and the lines were going at a snails pace. I have no idea why this happened but many missed their flights.

Also take into consideration on the weekends a lot of ships are in port with pax arriving to get on the ships and pax leaving the ships making for one large traffic jam at the airport. Always check to see how many ships are in port and how many pax they are carrying to determine the congestion at the airport.

We have been delayed arriving at port, and/or debarking a few times. As far the the FLL airport goes - we fly in and out of there at least 10x a year on Jetblue, and have never been delayed going through security in terminal 3. The port is literally down the road from the airport. However, I would never take a chance on trying to make an early flight after a cruise. Never know if you will be delayed due to weather, medical emergency, customs inspection of the ship, etc. Why be stressed after a relaxing vacation?

I only asked for past experiences, not clairvoyance. However, if someone can foresee the future, feel free to let me know.

Now we have a present situation , that should make everyone pause and reflect on. Things happen in a moments time, that changes everything.

No one knows, and I'm pretty sure it caused a delay. You don't have to be clairvoyant to know how things can change suddenly.

Honestly, the Conquest/Ft Lauderdale debarkation has been the only one of all my cruises that I can say was chaotic and took forever. It’s the only port I’ve debarked from so far that I wouldn’t recommend an early flight from. The Dream/New Orleans, the Fascination/San Juan and the Legend/Seattle were all easy compared to this port and ship. I think it’s more the port that’s the problem, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If all goes according to plan, which is the majority of the time, you can easily make a 10 am flight. If there is some sort of "hold-up", either because the ship pulls in late, or some customs issue, then all bets are off.

You can add the unfortunate/tragic accident that happened last week. Pretty sure that delayed things.

You just can't predict something happenenig to delay ships debarkation.

We flew out of FLL back in March, just off the Conquest. We had a suite but our flight wasn't until 4 so we did Zone luggage, which was 2. Debarking was horrible, held/stopped numerous times because there was only 2 customs agents. We got off the boat around 10:45 so choose your flight wisely.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Some of this comes down to the risk you are willing to take.

May I ask you a question 2wheelin? What flight time were you considering?

Keith

11:45. I last sailed from PE 5 yrs ago and we were at the airport by 8, gate by 8:30. Flight wasn't until after noon. I understand that may have been exceptional but it does happen. Sometimes the only other choice is wait until evening or pay $150 more each.