Finger Lickin' Good. NOT!

Sascol

A reasonable precaution - but you realize of course that when you take that bottle of Purell out of your pocket, whatever was on your hand gets on the outside of the bottle- so when you are done and put the bottle back in your pocket your hand is in contact with whatever had been on it before you started the whole exercise (with Purell - which is not terribly effective against many viruses in the first place).

Seems as long as Purell is used correctly it is 99.99% effective-

https://www.livestrong.com/article/286299-the-effectiveness-of-purell/

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Simple thing for me is to go back and sanitize my hands before I pick up that piece of bread, french fry, etc. after touching those tongs. No big deal.:cool:

I worry more about the kids/adults that sneeze/cough into their hands and then touch the elevator buttons, the back of chairs (that you pull out to sit in) door handles..etc. :eek:

Those germs are all OVER the ship...to avoid them...don't cruise I guess, but

since that is not a fun option...just deal with avoiding those germs as best you can. :rolleyes:

Excellent post. Use hand sanitizer and wash hands often. If you excessively worry about germs, perhaps you should not cruise (and never leave your residence). Germs are all over.

I think it's Harmony that has the sinks set up to wash hands before entering the buffet. It's the only way in, lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Adventure of the seas (Royal Caribbean ) added this is in the recent refit. I mentioned the cruise lines since the moderators decided to move this thread from its original location.

If I go through the buffet, I always use hand sanitizer again!

Before you get in gthe bufet lilne, get 2 clean forsks and 2 spoons. Usesd one fork o sserve yourself a meatt item and one tggo serve a fish item being c arefil to not mix tthem up. leave th e line when you have what you want and take thaft fork and spoon witth you

DO NOt cross contaminate from one tray to another by using a fork that was in shellfish into any other tray. . You will not have to touch dirty service ugensil that have been handled by unclean hands. OR get a few paper napkins and handle the serving tongs, spoons etc with the paper napkin over the handle.

If I go through the buffet, I always use hand sanitizer again! Sent from my iPad using Forums
Before you get in the bufet lilne, get 2 clean forks and 2 spoons. Uses one fork to serve yourself a meatt item and one to serve a fish item being c arefutto not mix tthem up. leave th e line when you have what you want and take thaft fork and spoon witth you DO NOt cross contaminate from one tray to another by using a fork that was in shellfish into any other tray. . You will not have to touch dirty service utensils that have been handled by unclean hands. OR get a few paper napkins and handle the serving tongs, spoons etc by holding them with the napkins.. Edited by sail7seas

One of the grossest thing we ever saw was on a cruise out of N'awlins

Wife and I were at seated at the Lido buffet and there was a large extended family at the next table. Young boy about 5 or 6 was all over the place. His parental units finally got him to sit still when he grabs a salt shaker and begins licking the top of it. The mother would take it from him and set in on the table where he would then pick it back up and lick away again. This went on for a few long minutes

They get up to leave and the mother puts the salt shaker down for the final time and they all walk away.

We had to flag someone down to tell them what happened. Hopefully she didn't wipe it and put back on the table.....

Seems as long as Purell is used correctly it is 99.99% effective-

https://www.livestrong.com/article/286299-the-effectiveness-of-purell/

--- against most "germs".

The CDC reports that such hand sanitizer so as Purell are "largely ineffective" against the noro virus ---- which happens to be the most troublesome impacting cruise ships.

First cruise my wife and I went on together, we were in line at the poolside buffet on embarcation day. A young boy runs up and pushes between us and grabs a handful of fries with his bare hands, drops them on his plate, and is about to grab some chicken fingers when I ask him (admittedly kinda loudly) what he's doing. He just looked at me like I was crazy, said "getting some fingers", grabbed some, and ran off!

I told the attendant behind the buffet what happened and he quickly pulled the 2 pans. As they were putting new pans out, the mom comes up and starts yelling at me that it's not my place to say anything to her child! Thankfully, my wife stepped in and explained (firmly) what the boy had done. The mom still didn't look happy, but at this point pretty much everyone was staring and a couple of officers were coming that way, so she just says "whatever" and stalks off. The officers ask us what happened and we told them. The buffet attendant said the same thing, and the officers apologized, thanked us for alerting the attendant, and said they hoped we had a great cruise.

And we did!

--- against most "germs".

The CDC reports that such hand sanitizer so as Purell are "largely ineffective" against the noro virus ---- which happens to be the most troublesome impacting cruise ships.

Luckily I’ve never caught the Noro on a cruise ship, but have came home with severe respiratory infections.

I know is not finger licking but last month in the buffet were telling this woman what a bad idea it is to try and stuff her bread roll into the toaster, she ignores and starts to squeeze a second one which clearly won't fit but squishes it until it does. She stands snacking on her cheese whilst we point to the sign On top in 6 languages saying its bread and bagels only. The flames start as its jammed and where is she, high tailing it out of the buffet, whilst we switch it off, flag down help.

One of the grossest thing we ever saw was on a cruise out of N'awlins

Wife and I were at seated at the Lido buffet and there was a large extended family at the next table. Young boy about 5 or 6 was all over the place. His parental units finally got him to sit still when he grabs a salt shaker and begins licking the top of it. The mother would take it from him and set in on the table where he would then pick it back up and lick away again. This went on for a few long minutes

They get up to leave and the mother puts the salt shaker down for the final time and they all walk away.

We had to flag someone down to tell them what happened. Hopefully she didn't wipe it and put back on the table.....

Seen it too but with a ketchup bottle. Kid was sucking on it for 10 minutes like it was his binkie then the family got up and left as though it did not happen. We flagged down a waitress and the immediately disposed of the bottle.

Seen it too but with a ketchup bottle. Kid was sucking on it for 10 minutes like it was his binkie then the family got up and left as though it did not happen. We flagged down a waitress and the immediately disposed of the bottle.

OMG!!!! That’s horrific! Who lets their kids do this??!