Service on mega ships vs smaller ships

cyph

I wish to add and this is just my perspective, but as with any job, moral plays a huge part in how the workers interact with others. If they are not happy with conditions, then this can spill over to those around them ( Passengers ) All in all, we have met wonderful crew on Royal Caribbean ships, Many will appear friendlier and more personable then others. Two that most come to mind was our Cabin Attendant on the Radiance during our NZ cruise, and our Waiter on the Serenade during our TA this past August.

I suspect the levels of service varies from ship to ship based on several factors including the timing of bringing a new ship online. For example, the staffing of 2000+ for Symphony for instance will not have all newbies, as many "experienced" crew members will be drawn from other ships. Their transfers will have to be sourced with new staff. Combine that with normal turnover and the net service results on all impacted ships could be a mixed bag.
I wish to add and this is just my perspective, but as with any job, moral plays a huge part in how the workers interact with others. If they are not happy with conditions, then this can spill over to those around them ( Passengers ) All in all, we have met wonderful crew on Royal Caribbean ships, Many will appear friendlier and more personable then others. Two that most come to mind was our Cabin Attendant on the Radiance during our NZ cruise, and our Waiter on the Serenade during our TA this past August.

Both these posts point out some of the variables that can come into play regarding the service levels on ANY SHIP.

Since the number of staff is relatively proportionate to a ship's size (Oasis class ships have more than 2000 staff), the quality of service comes down to the staff themselves. Much like at any hotel, restaurant, movie or concert venue, or other place serving thousands of people (even the Radiance ships house 2000 or so passengers) - it's a people business that gets served by other people. SOme can be great, others good, and some below par.

The size of the ship has very little to do with the service levels...it comes down to the people (staff).

We have sailed on 4 different Royal Caribbean size class ships...and the service level has been very good across the board with the exception of maybe one person here or there. The other hundreds of people providing various services have been terrific.

I didn't mean to imply the level of service had to do with the size of the ship. More to my point is the staffing pressure on RCL when bringing on a new ship. Can't sail with a full crew of basically trained staff so they need to bring on experienced staff from other ships which in turn need to add new staff which also require training. So, the level of service might suffer some on all the ships involved till everyone is up to speed. As for moral, that is also another important factor; consider being happy where you are and then transferred to another ship with new people, new surroundings, where you need to go through the learning curve again while establishing a rapport with fellow staff some of which are still in training. Our waiter Julietta from Giovanni's table described her transfer from a smaller ship. It was a big adjustment but she was a real trouper, and the best waiter ever. Lots of factors including just having a bad day.

So, the level of service might suffer some on all the ships involved till everyone is up to speed.

Indeed...as you pointed out...training is a variable that comes into play at times...but is the exception rather than a rule.

Often, experienced staff from other ships are transitioned to new ships...so it takes a cruise or two for them to get acclimated as you correctly pointed out.

It sounds like the main complaint of the O.P. was, they had to get their own drinks in the Windjammer. Really? On very few occasions has anyone brought us our drinks there. We're just used to picking them up, at the same time we get our food. Sometimes, we'll be asked if we want a refill. Now, if we don't get our drinks in the MDR, I become unhappy. :(

Our first Royal cruise was on Oasis. We had previously cruised on much smaller ships in HAL's fleet. HAL was known for its' excellent service and we went on the Oasis not expecting the level of service that HAL had offered. We were so wrong and enjoyed great service. On our second Oasis cruise, the staff seemed down, tired, and unconcerned with service. It wasn't a bad cruise, but it sure wasn't the same as our previous Oasis cruise. We switched to Allure and have never had a bad experience with service after several cruises. My point is the ship size does not make or break good service. The Captain and his officers influence how the crew acts with passengers. Good Captains equal Great Crews.

I was on Anthem in September that went to Canada instead of Bermuda. We had late seating in the MDR and we had wonderful service but I have to say the room was half empty. I don't know if that sailing was undersold, or had significant cancellations. Is that unusual to have a dining room half empty? I know they sell the specialty restaurants or maybe others prefer eating earlier?

The Windjammer was busy at times but we never had trouble finding a table which I have read about. We always got our own drinks there but expected that. One day they had a server go around with free Mimosas.

I haven't been on as many cruises as probably some of you but the crew for the most part always seem willing to help and appear happy. The only crew member we really noticed a difference on was our Cabin Attendant on the 2nd part of our b2b. We had to ask for wash clothes and TP a lot and he always acted like he couldn't wait to get off. Perhaps he was close to ending his time on board. Our Cabin Attendant on the first cruise was fantastic, wished we could have taken her home.

We were on the Anthem last January and had the best cabin attendant in my 14 cruises, bar wait staff was spotty but more good than bad, MDR was decent, specialty restaurants were amazing. Overall we we're thrilled, enough to be going on her again in 76 days :). But then again we are not picky and know how hard they all work.

Sent from my K88 using Forums mobile app

I never really noticed or had really bad services. I just remember back in 2011 on the Liberty cruise our room attendant was a little snotty. I don't know how else to explain them. But other than that I never had an issue. Everyone seems friendly and nice, to my face anyways :D