New TSA regulations for flights.

boscobeans

I flew last month out of RDU and my cell phone (iPhone 6s Plus) was pulled out of my backpack for inspection. The lady said it showed something “weird” on the screen. She put in under a machine and wiped it for drugs. Whatever!!! Nothing found thou.

[emoji1308][emoji1308][emoji41][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just an FYI, she wiped it for traces of explosives, not drugs. TSA is not looking for drugs.

That's really bizarre. I checked TSA's website and they listed most foods according to if you could/could not take it through security (mostly liquid stuff is prohibited) but it doesn't say anything about having to take it out of your bag and show it to them separately. I believe you guys that it happened to, and I'm wondering if either the TSA desperately needs to update their website or there are certain TSA officers taking the new rules a bit too far. I don't want someone pawing through my food. Packaged stuff, maybe, but what about the burger and fries I just bought?

It really depends on how it looks on the scan as to whether or not you have to let them look at it. It could be a perfectly legitimate item, but if it is under something or somehow appears funny they are going to take a look.

FYI if you take a Costco size box of Oreos in your carryon.. They will open you bag.. (10 circular rolls enclosed in plastic)

Same goes for Trophies won at Robotics competitions..

I always get checked when we travel as a team. :')

I have global entry/ tsa precheck.

was still asked to remove all electronics into the bins, PLUS my cottage cheese breakfast was taken away from me. i offered to eat it right there on the spot but they said if i wanted to eat it i would have to go to the back of the line. It was even in original container. ***.

There are plenty of snacks to be purchased post-check-in. Not sure why someone would bring food other than specialty items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Big can of Pringles at Walmart: $1. Big can of Pringles at airport store: $5. Snacks for a family add up, especially since the days of airlines giving you anything worthwhile on the flight are gone.

There are plenty of snacks to be purchased post-check-in. Not sure why someone would bring food other than specialty items.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Because most of the snacks for sale, at least in my airport, are mostly just junk food. Can of pringles is not breakfast. A solo cup full of questionable looking grapes is $5. I rarely eat meat so my options for a protein-rich breakfast at a reasonable cost are pretty limited in our airport.

I'm flying out of Dulles on Tuesday to Munich. From Munich to Budapest, then to Prague and Belgium. From there back to Dulles in about 10 days. It's going to be interesting as to how that goes. I'll post any problems or unusual incidents.

At least you are transiting through MUC rather than FRA :)

Also, most airports have restaurants where you can get a quick meal or snack. My favorite story is about breakfast in Toronto. I had polenta with eggs and asked for toast. The server informed me that I did not need toast because I had polenta!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, if some of you feel a little safer, go ahead and hug your next TSA agent at the checkpoint for all that ... security theatrics.

There's a good discussion on CC's counterpart, Flyerstalk forum about how effective this isn't but to create longer lines ... happy international Thanksgiving if you are flying on 1 of the 5 global carrier. Bad hombres can simply not book or fly them and switch their flights.

We just don't see the merits of using untrained airline crews, in some cases - outside contractors as ground support, to screen or interview passengers. Beyond the passenger screening areas, numerous gaps and loopholes continue to exit, as in catering and environmental services. Now imagine for a moment, if this is done - even if randomly - to mega cruise ships ... forget about VIP boarding and priority disembarkation to rush for your flight or train/bus connections.

As for airport concession food, have any of you see their latest public health/food safety inspection results ... you could be in for a shocking surprise on the ones posted. Flight crews know better, not just the frugal FA - to pack their own snacks & meals in a personal cooler & travel with them, from their lodging thru and past the cabin doors.

I hope you said thank you for them taking the extra time and effort to check something that may or may not have been an issue. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I'm always grateful when they ask to look at something more closely. I'd rather they check stuff a million times and have it be nothing than not check the one time it is something.

I feel bad for those that think most of this stuff actually makes you safer. It is pretty much a show.

For example, sometimes folks get an SSS on their boarding pass, meaning they get extra inspection. I go that once and gave my carry on bag to my wife. Somebody said I was making it dangerous for us to fly. Do people not have a brain? Or logic?

I could try to explain the entire scenario and lack of logic and common sense, but should not have to.

Most dangerous words in America? "Better safe than sorry"

This is not old news, the original poster is correct. I fly about ever other week and this is a new procedure. Snacks and electronic devices larger than cell phone must be removed from bags. Yesterday they tested a bag of candy for explosives so they there is definitely a somthing new in place.

Flew on 10/17, at JFK I told them I had a tablet, bigger than a cell phone, in my carryon. They were annoyed that I mentioned it, did NOT want to see it