Port of Miami - Hotel for night before cruise?

jasons9745

We just got the Intercontinental on a Priceline Espress Deal for $120; going for $153 other places. Probably could have done better but I just didn't want to go through the bidding hassle.

We used to be able to get this hotel on Hotwire/Priceline for $80-90, but it has steadily risen in price.

Now they also have a $15 resort fee, which stinks because we don't really use the facilities. But it is a really nice hotel in a very convenient location. I don't know if that fee is per day or per stay, since we are only there one night.

Hotel pricing in general seems to have gone up. Used to be able to get 4 star under $100 at priceline fairly regularly. Not so much anymore. I agree with you that bidding may not be the best for some, but works for me. FYI, when you see a resort fee added before purchase, it can give you some insight to the property that you would purchase. Not all charge a resort fee or the same resort fee. Before purchase, check hotels in the specific neighborhood that charge that resort fee. One that matches is most likely the one that you will get.

Same for the Holiday Inn it is right across the street from the Market Place.
Stayed here a couple of times. Rooms are clean, there is a restaurant on sight and it is very close to the port. There are a number of restaurants (I remember a steakhouse and chilis) across the street in the Bayside Marketplace.

Based on reco's on CC, we recently stayed at the Hampton Inn Airport Blue Lagoon. We landed late at night, so just needed a place close to the airport/port that was reasonably priced, with some shops and restaurants w/in walking distance to grab late dinner and last-minute supplies. Free airport shuttle, free breakfast, kitty corner to many shops/restaurants, and $10 pp shuttle to port. No bed bugs that we could see. :)

We really like to stay in the Marriott Stanton on South Beach it is right on the sand in South Beach. It's less than 15 minutes by Uber to the Port in the morning and Uber is about $15. The Stanton also offers pre or post cruise packages that include transport to the port. The rates are reasonable for a great room right on the beach in a quiet area of South Beach. Great restaurants in the neighborhood and if you get there on Friday early enough it's an easy beautiful walk to the park right along the channel where the ships come and go through. You can watch them and they seem close enough to touch as they sail away Friday nights. I stay at Marriott because I pile up all types of points traveling for work but if you are a Hilton person two doors down there is a great Hilton also right on the sand of South Beach. The area is quiet by South Beach standards but if you want the buzz of SOBE it's an easy walk. You can walk to great restaurants - Italian, Steak and even Joe's Stone Crab. I like it so much down there I try to stay two nights before my Miami cruises.

If you are driving in from North of Miami I have stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Dana Beach. They allowed me to park and there was a shuttle service. Terms of this seem to change often so it is best to contact them first for details.

We booked Holiday Inn across from the port based on reviews and the price was right. Checked in late afternoon and settled in. Was sitting at the table and chair set in the room and noticed small bugs on the table near the glasses. I took a kleenex to kill them only to see more movement. I lifted up the glasses and it was crawling with little bugs. The lighting was not great. Took my phone and added light to the table and found more than a few. I assumed that housekeeping didn't clean the glasses or the table top, perhaps something sugary spilt. Shortly heard from my husband who had just used the bathroom that there were bugs near the sink.

Grabbed all of the suitcases, zipped everything up and went to complain at the Front Desk. They apologized but also said it was the Miami humidity. I've stayed in Miami numerous times and this is the first time I've come across this. The hotel made arrangements for us over at the Intercontinental. It was pricier but peace of mind was essential. Checked in across the street and room was clean and bug free.

I'm usually pretty accommodating but the last thing I wanted was to take some "extra" travel companions on the cruise...

I usually stay at the Intercontinental downtown, Hampton Inn or out by the airport near blue lagoon.

I've stayed in Miami numerous times and this is the first time I've come across this. The hotel made arrangements for us over at the Intercontinental. It was pricier but peace of mind was essential. Checked in across the street and room was clean and bug free.

I'm usually pretty accommodating but the last thing I wanted was to take some "extra" travel companions on the cruise...

I usually stay at the Intercontinental downtown, Hampton Inn or out by the airport near blue lagoon.

This is exactly why we typically choose 4 star.

With less, bugs are iffy (only hotel less than 4 star we stayed at in Miami is sleep inn at the airport..stayed twice both times clean and bug free)

Pay more for peace of mind knowing it is clean and safe.

With all the discount sites it is always easy to get a nicer hotel for the same price.

Miami does not have a bed bug issue (as) crazy as NYC does.

What is your price range? I've stayed at the JW, Marriott Marquis, Kampton, and Hampton Inn before. All pretty decent, it all depends on how much you want to spend. All within walking distance to Periconne's if you like Baked Brie and Vapiano if you like pasta.

• 1 month later...
We have a AirBnb reserved for our pre cruise night before. Was less than 1/2 the price of any hotel for January 20 in the area. Even has a private pool. Total of $115 for the night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How does AirBnB work? Do you give a credit card number at time of reserving, like a hotel? What happens if there isn't anything (house, apartment, etc.) there when you arrive? I would love the benefit of AirBnB, but have been scared to try it. Thanks.

The la Quinta. We stayed there night before, free shuttle to pier, can leave the car there free for the cruise, and it’s $10 per person, for a shuttle ride back to the hotel after cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just scored brand new Townplace Suites by Marriott for $89 on Priceline Express Deals. Free shuttle, free breakfast, refundable. This is for April. We get in late, so it's only for sleeping really. Didn't care to be near the port or "stuff to see".

The la Quinta. We stayed there night before, free shuttle to pier, can leave the car there free for the cruise, and it’s $10 per person, for a shuttle ride back to the hotel after cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

X2. Also free airport pick up and free breakfast. Good deal.

How does AirBnB work? Do you give a credit card number at time of reserving, like a hotel? What happens if there isn't anything (house, apartment, etc.) there when you arrive? I would love the benefit of AirBnB, but have been scared to try it. Thanks.

AirBnb is completely safe and I have used it probably 20 times over the past 5-6 years. You pay AirBnb. They pay the host. Any issues which I have never had any you deal with AirBnb and not the host. I have also used Homeaway which is exactly the same way. No crazy taxes, you meet the owner, or property manager in person the day you arrive and the reviews of other guest can not be manipulated. If the host is horrible you will know before booking.

We actually canceled our first listing with AirBnb for this trip and reserved a different one. This one is a penthouse apartment in the Opera Tower which actually overlooks the cruise port. Was $189 which was cheaper than any hotel and 5 minutes from the cruise port. Not sure you are allowed to post links to other sites. But if you google Penthouse Express**FREE PARKING in Miami you can see what I mean. When I canceled my previous listing I was refunded everything but $10 and each host has their own cancellation policy.

Edited by zorky12

Just scored brand new Townplace Suites by Marriott for $89 on Priceline Express Deals. Free shuttle, free breakfast, refundable. This is for April. We get in late, so it's only for sleeping really. Didn't care to be near the port or "stuff to see".

I just did this same deal on Priceline for 1/27-1/28. According to the terms of an Express deal though this is not refundable.

• Rooms purchased through Priceline Express Deals cannot be cancelled, changed or transferred and refunds are not allowed.

We usually fly in to MIA and stay at one of the airport hotels. The Days Inn is pretty awful there. We aren't that picky, but for over $100/night, it was very dirty, really lousy service, and the shuttle was an old crappy large bus. Never again. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last time (we love the nearby bar, Toms NFL) and it was fine. Shuttle was an extra low price, but it was descent. Smaller, so sign up plenty in advance if you want it, to get an earlier time.

Because we are coming in from FLL (it was a must, given our use of Delta points and limited post-cruise departure time options with MIA) and arrive early in the day on Friday, we wanted to stay downtown at a decent place. For our cruise date (1/13), the hotel prices have been pretty awful for downtown, even on Priceline express deals. Didn't help that we had to coordinate with our traveling companions, so it makes it harder to do Priceline, Hotwire hidden deals. In the end, we had to cash out our Marriott points (35,000!). That hurt.

For downtown-ish, we've stayed at the Springhill Suites near the hospital (fewer Marriott points). It was fine, but nothing around there to walk to, so you have to cab everywhere. If you are looking for something reasonably priced close to port, it's fine. It was a quick cab ride there. I think there was a shuttle for a fee, but the cab ride ended up being about the same price as the shuttle.

In my experience, the shuttles aren't really worth it unless you are on a SUPER tight budget. Not that many decent hotels have them, so you limit your choices, and they fill up fast. There are quite a few reasonably priced cab/uber/private service options in Miami, so the shuttles aren't particularly worth it.

I just did this same deal on Priceline for 1/27-1/28. According to the terms of an Express deal though this is not refundable.

• Rooms purchased through Priceline Express Deals cannot be cancelled, changed or transferred and refunds are not allowed.

That's the new one they were building as part of the Marriott Complex(Airport)???

Marriott, Courtyard, Residence Inn ??

AirBnb is completely safe and I have used it probably 20 times over the past 5-6 years. You pay AirBnb. They pay the host. Any issues which I have never had any you deal with AirBnb and not the host. I have also used Homeaway which is exactly the same way. No crazy taxes, you meet the owner, or property manager in person the day you arrive and the reviews of other guest can not be manipulated. If the host is horrible you will know before booking.

We actually canceled our first listing with AirBnb for this trip and reserved a different one. This one is a penthouse apartment in the Opera Tower which actually overlooks the cruise port. Was $189 which was cheaper than any hotel and 5 minutes from the cruise port. Not sure you are allowed to post links to other sites. But if you google Penthouse Express**FREE PARKING in Miami you can see what I mean. When I canceled my previous listing I was refunded everything but $10 and each host has their own cancellation policy.

I did look at the site. It's beautiful. Maybe I'll try them (airbnb) on my next trip.