Latest Upsell Offers

CineGraphic

We were just offered upgrade in star princess Alaska June 9 for 7 days. 169/pp to upgrade from balcony to mini suite. Is it worth it? We are new to cruising. We will be traveling as a family of 4. Two ten year olds and two adults. Thanks!!!!

We were just offered upgrade in star princess Alaska June 9 for 7 days. 169/pp to upgrade from balcony to mini suite. Is it worth it? We are new to cruising. We will be traveling as a family of 4. Two ten year olds and two adults. Thanks!!!!

Yes definitely!!!!!! It is so crowded with 4 in a balcony with how the beds are situated. Call ASAP. The Minisuite will give you some much needed room!

i would, for 4 people a mini has much more room

A mini suite will be MUCH nicer for 4 people. 4 is a crowd in a normal balcony room. On the other hand, Alaska is a port oriented cruise and if money were tight, I'd rather spend it on memorable excursions than a bigger room. IF you can do both, the mini will be great, but if it is a decision between that and ???, go whale watching.

If the $169/pp only applies to the first two people in the cabin, it is definitely worth it. If this applies to all four in the cabin, it might not be worth it.

That is a decent upsell for an obstructed OV. One TINY note: it gets light super-early on these Alaska sailings, a problem the insides don’t suffer from. If it’s bothersome to you, bring a couple of binder clips and some magnetic hooks, because I seem to recall the head of the bed is right under the window in Star obstructeds.

I have an OV room booked for Alaska....Is there some type of shade to cover the window or do I bring something to cover it?

I have an OV room booked for Alaska....Is there some type of shade to cover the window or do I bring something to cover it?

I've been to Alaska twice and both times when it was daylight for 20+ hours. I suggest investing in a nice satin sleeping mask. Doesn't have to be anything fancy. I bought mine for like $4.99 and I slept like a dream the entire month I was in Alaska. My sister-in-law didn't buy one at the beginning of our trip and she had a hard time sleeping the first few nights. When we got to Denali, she found one on sale at the counter of a souvenir store for $1.99. She slept soundly afterwards and thought that was the best money she spent the entire time we were in Alaska. I still have mine and I use it when I take a quick nap some afternoons.

Enjoy your trip! We're on our first Alaskan cruise in just over 3 weeks ourselves.

Am sailing solo, Island Princess May 16 Whittier to Seward.

Recieved upsell offer from Inside Guarantee to Balcony for $329.

Then read the fine print: Single occupancy pays 200%.

Down to eight days before boarding, inside guarantee still not assigned, and now another upsell offer:

PRINCESS CRUISES IS PLEASED TO EXTEND THE FOLLOWING OFFER TO OUR VALUED GUESTS CURRENTLY BOOKED IN AN INSIDE STATEROOM (Cat IA-IF) ON THE MAY 16, 2018 SAILING OF ISLAND PRINCESS.

Treat yourself by upgrading your accommodations to a BALCONY STATEROOM and enjoy the added space where you can relax outside and experience the unforgettable views.

This special upgrade opportunity is available for just $189 USD/$274 CAD* per person additional (exclusive occupancy pays 200%).

After that first upsell offer they continued to take Guarantee Inside bookings at the last minute deal price. Even though when I booked during the Anniversary Sale insides were only guarantees as well.

So should I sit tight with the possibility of a free upgrade if response to the upsell is not great. Or maybe take a shot at a counteroffer--as a solo I may consider paying just the $189 for myself, not 200% of that. Is Princess desperate enough to bite?

I have found this an interesting thread - Have cruised with princess 13 times and 2 more planned - Have booked via agents and Princess direct - On Princess mailing list but have never seen one of these offers - maybe because we always book Balcony or Mini Suite ?? Any comments ?

I have found this an interesting thread - Have cruised with princess 13 times and 2 more planned - Have booked via agents and Princess direct - On Princess mailing list but have never seen one of these offers - maybe because we always book Balcony or Mini Suite ?? Any comments ?

The lower you book, the more likely you are to be offered an upsell. It is just a matter of numbers--there are more cabins which may be unsold that you could upgrade/upsell into. On the other hand, it is not unusual for people in a balcony to be offered a mini or people in a regular mini to be offered a Cabin Class mini.

The lower you book' date=' the more likely you are to be offered an upsell. It is just a matter of numbers--there are more cabins which may be unsold that you could upgrade/upsell into. On the other hand, it is not unusual for people in a balcony to be offered a mini or people in a regular mini to be offered a Cabin Class mini.[/quote']

Thanks - I wonder why we have never seen an email offering this

Thanks - I wonder why we have never seen an email offering this

Luck of the draw. If you book cruises that sell out at regular prices, no one will see upsell offers. If your cruise isn't selling well and you booked before the PIF date, your chances improve. I've read that if you accept an upsell, you improve your chances of seeing an offer on future cruise, but I don't know if that's true or not.

We got a downgrade offer on our second Princess cruise! Surprised me, but they needed my cabin.

My last cruise and my next cruise, we took upsells to a Mini from a balcony. One we booked months in advance, one after final payment is due. I think it all depends on how well the cruise is selling. When I booked my cruise for June, there were 10 empty Club Class Mini's left and 33 minis. I figured the odds were good that we would get an offer.

Sailing on the Island Wed. May 16. Yesterday recieved to upsell offers, one in AM for full suite, $700 pp. Second email, mini-suite $159 pp. Currently in a balcony. Chose not to call. Thought it was interesting, when I checked last week everything said sold out.

Sailing on the Island Wed. May 16. Yesterday recieved to upsell offers, one in AM for full suite, $700 pp. Second email, mini-suite $159 pp. Currently in a balcony. Chose not to call. Thought it was interesting, when I checked last week everything said sold out.

Very interesting indeed. I think I would have stuck with my same cabin too, being so close to sailing date. Maybe you'll receive a free upgrade before you sail.

Have a great cruise!

how many days is the cruise?

Down to eight days before boarding, inside guarantee still not assigned, and now another upsell offer:

PRINCESS CRUISES IS PLEASED TO EXTEND THE FOLLOWING OFFER TO OUR VALUED GUESTS CURRENTLY BOOKED IN AN INSIDE STATEROOM (Cat IA-IF) ON THE MAY 16, 2018 SAILING OF ISLAND PRINCESS.

Treat yourself by upgrading your accommodations to a BALCONY STATEROOM and enjoy the added space where you can relax outside and experience the unforgettable views.

This special upgrade opportunity is available for just $189 USD/$274 CAD* per person additional (exclusive occupancy pays 200%).

After that first upsell offer they continued to take Guarantee Inside bookings at the last minute deal price. Even though when I booked during the Anniversary Sale insides were only guarantees as well.

So should I sit tight with the possibility of a free upgrade if response to the upsell is not great. Or maybe take a shot at a counteroffer--as a solo I may consider paying just the $189 for myself, not 200% of that. Is Princess desperate enough to bite?

Based on another posting for same cruise, looks like Princess is looking to move some of the balcony staterooms to either mini or full suites. Probably a good time to reply to the upsell offer and say you'll pay for 1 to be upgraded to a balcony. Doesn't hurt to ask, as they are trying to move people around for this cruise. Let us know how you made out!

By fishywood-

My question-

Does this mean that if you sail solo you pay $378?? ($189x2) is that the 200% figure ??

I'm new to this so can someone clarify what the 200% figure is? Thanks

Tai

By fishywood-

My question-

Does this mean that if you sail solo you pay $378?? ($189x2) is that the 200% figure ??

I'm new to this so can someone clarify what the 200% figure is? Thanks

Tai

Yes, this means that Princess is offering the solo cruiser this upsell for $378. The issue of whether they will ultimately sell it to you for $189 or how much "wiggle room" they have is completely unknown. You can always call Princess and give them the $189 counter offer and see what they say. Or you can wait and see if they ultimately upgrade you free or try a lower priced upsell. There is just no way to predict what will happen.

The basic problem is that you don't know how many cabins are available for this "deal," how many people were sent the e-mail, or how many have responded. Princess has the goal of maximizing their profit on each sailing. If they have open mini-suites, they will offer upsells to people in balconies. Then they can turn around and try to upsell people in oceanviews a spot in those balconies that are now open. OR they can choose to offer the minis to both balcony people (at one price) and oceanviews (at a higher price). Unfortunately, there is no way we can figure out their computer algorithm which tells them how many offers to make and at what price.

Edited by moki'smommy

Yes' date=' this means that Princess is offering the solo cruiser this upsell for $378. The issue of whether they will ultimately sell it to you for $189 or how much "wiggle room" they have is completely unknown. You can always call Princess and give them the $189 counter offer and see what they say. Or you can wait and see if they ultimately upgrade you free or try a lower priced upsell. There is just no way to predict what will happen.

The basic problem is that you don't know how many cabins are available for this "deal," how many people were sent the e-mail, or how many have responded. Princess has the goal of maximizing their profit on each sailing. If they have open mini-suites, they will offer upsells to people in balconies. Then they can turn around and try to upsell people in oceanviews a spot in those balconies that are now open. OR they can choose to offer the minis to both balcony people (at one price) and oceanviews (at a higher price). Unfortunately, there is no way we can figure out their computer algorithm which tells them how many offers to make and at what price.[/quote']

WOW! As I said, we're new to this. If a solo cruiser or couple were in an inside cabin and wanted a balcony (if it's a decent location) this sounds like a good offer. Or am I getting something wrong??

Do they tell you what cabin number and location they are offering?

Still finding my way around all these "things"!

Tai

Edited by onboard2005

WOW! As I said, we're new to this. If a solo cruiser or couple were in an inside cabin and wanted a balcony (if it's a decent location) this sounds like a good offer. Or am I getting something wrong??

Do they tell you what cabin number and location they are offering?

Still finding my way around all these "things"!

Tai

Yes, they will tell you what cabin number is available; sometimes you'll have a choice of there are several available. No, you are not getting it wrong. The basic issue is that a couple can go from an inside cabin to a balcony for under $400 because Princess didn't sell out the ship and that's $378 that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise. It doesn't cost Princess anything to do this upgrade; you'll still eat the same food and use the same services on the ship. The cruise date is close, they don't think they can sell any more balcony cabins. So, what 10 years ago would have been a free upgrade has turned into an upsell.