Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Ok.

I thought the wedding was smashing.

Someone forgot to tell many of the attendees not to wear fascinators.

Phillip is Greek, and I say good job.

The minister went a bit long, but such enthusiasm! Yes the expressions of the crowd were priceless.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Was I the only one blubbering into my hankie? I too enjoyed it. The inclusive agenda was great. Unfortunately I think the minister got carried away. Not sure his 14 minute "lecture" was as well received as some may think. It felt a little disrespectful to me. Nothing in the spiel that really related to the actual bride and groom or even any acknowledgement of the reason for the gathering. OK, yes, love was mentioned a lot. But this was not a delivery to his congregation. I'll duck now for the incoming missiles of flames.

Good morning..........lovely ceremony and he might have spoken a bit long but I loved the LOVE sermon:D

LOVE IS POWER.........:)

Mysty, no flames here........we all have our opinions.........I don't think he was being disrespectful at all. He may have spoken

a bit long, but I thought it was wonderful.

Agree with Jeff. Was very impressed by this American Eishop of the Episcopal Church. He was not boring, nor stiff!! Loved the choir singing "Stand by Me". Lots of soul in this chapel of British tradition. Great music during these ceremonies. Yes, the Brits know how to put on a wonderfully excellent "show". Bride and groom getting in the open, horse-drawn carriage now. Beautiful, sunny day there in the UK. Wall Street Journal summarized well with this statement: "a wedding that melded Hollywood glitz and glamour with centuries-old royal traditions."

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 201,818 views for this posting.

Hi Terry, yes....lots of soul........I thought it was wonderful:).......I realize it was quite different than the usual

Royal Weddings but to me, that is part of both of them........they are part of the Royal Family but definitely

more modern. Not sure if you heard this but the first female is heading GIVENCHY and they did her dress.....

So lots of firsts involved....:)

If it showed one thing it was that the Britain of Harry and Meghan is so different from that of, say, Liz and Phil the Greek. The congregation seemed to be filled with people who have made a name for themselves for some reason other than choosing parents with some sort of familial link to the couple. There were sports people, musicians, actors etc scattered among the more obvious great and good. And the age, gender and racial mix seemed so much more indicative of modern Britain.

Whoever planned and executed the day should be very proud of their achievement and in a world of cynicism, hate and fear to see so many people of different backgrounds come together to witness two young people make their life-choice in such a measured but joyful way is, I must say, something of a tonic.

As an aside - I got a message from OH (who is away looking after granddaughter) who gasped ''Ooh doesn't she look amazing in that dress?'' To be fair, you could have put Ms Markle in a bin liner and she would still look amazing!

If it showed one thing it was that the Britain of Harry and Meghan is so different from that of, say, Liz and Phil the Greek. The congregation seemed to be filled with people who have made a name for themselves for some reason other than choosing parents with some sort of familial link to the couple. There were sports people, musicians, actors etc scattered among the more obvious great and good. And the age, gender and racial mix seemed so much more indicative of modern Britain.

Whoever planned and executed the day should be very proud of their achievement and in a world of cynicism, hate and fear to see so many people of different backgrounds come together to witness two young people make their life-choice in such a measured but joyful way is, I must say, something of a tonic.

As an aside - I got a message from OH (who is away looking after granddaughter) who gasped ''Ooh doesn't she look amazing in that dress?'' To be fair, you could have put Ms Markle in a bin liner and she would still look amazing!

+1 TTS

It is a break from tradition.....and for me the Michael Curry went a tad overlong but he at least he did it with feeling, so all is good. I love the choir singing Stand By Me.

I also had a few tears and wish Harry and Meghan much happiness in marriage. As we all know, it isn't always smooth sailing but as long as we have each others back we can prevail and have fun.

Cheers, Julie

Hi Terry, yes....lots of soul........I thought it was wonderful:).......I realize it was quite different than the usual. Royal Weddings but to me, that is part of both of them ........they are part of the Royal Family but definitely more modern. Not sure if you heard this but the first female is heading GIVENCHY and they did her dress.....So lots of firsts involved....:)

Great additional comments above from Tothesunset and Lois. That added diversity of the UK today was reflected at this ceremony. Glad that Lois caught my "Lots of Soul" comment. American TV has been replaying the highlights, including the wonderful "Stand by Me" song that was so spectacular. Good for mysty that there was no flaming. While I do not agree with all of the political positions and views of that Episcopal Bishop, his style and spirit was very uplifting.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 225,639 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For the gazillionth day, it's raining here and I am still sick.

I did manage to get the strength to put away some of the clothes from the cruise today before feeling totally zapped of strength.

I am enjoying reading the posts, and the wedding was a wonderful diversion.

The broadcast I watched hadn't commentary during the ceremony. The cellist is a phenom.

Wonder if Bill ever got his construction job done...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Off home after a day at the voluntary job to watch the wedding. Managed to see snippets including the exuberant bishop. The cellist comes from the most remarkable family of musicians. He won the BBC young musician of the year a couple of years ago and another sibling was in the semi finals this year, aged 15

Rp

Meghan's evening dress was spectacular!..........if any of you saw that......it was a Stella McCartney and she looked fabulous:). Harry changed from his military dress into a dinner jacket....he looked very handsome too.:)

Out of interest ....

if Meghan had been on a visit to London, and met Harry in a pub and he was say a trader and not of his parentage, is it your instinct that she with her background would have looked at him twice?

Just a thought.

I thought the wedding was beautiful. Two young people obviously in love. May it always be that way.

I enjoyed the looks on the faces of the congregation when the sermon went "a bit" off track. Probably the first time the chapel had seen so much fire!

I enjoyed all the music. It is amazing how it can evoke emotion. Felt quite tears at times.

I agree that Meghan could put on a plastic garbage bag and look beautiful.

Whoever did her makeup kept her young fresh look. I see so many photos of brides that will look back after years and not recognise themselves.

Terry, I had both my knees replaced last June. It has changed my life. Can now walk up steps like a normal person. I think the only tip I have is rehab. Make sure you focus on it. Being an "old nurse", I was determined to be independent from day one ( no one was showering me!!!). That helped.

Wonder if Bill ever got his construction job done...

Not yet.

This is Vietnam... so I'm looking for someone competent; who doesn't want to make the entire project out of metal, can't weld properly and will use screws that will rust (I may be looking for a very looooong time). ;) The landlady is 'working on it' - so there is some hope. :)

I'd do it myself, but don't have any tools/equipment - had to pay almost 1.5 times the price of the ticket for: an extra checked bag (8 kg under 23 kg) and 'the' checked bag (7 kg over 23 kg) i.e. the charges are calculated 'by piece', to fly from Zhengzhou to Phu Quoc. :mad: I left my tools in China :( , and am not about to go out and buy: a table saw (and dado blades), a radial arm saw, a skill saw, hand saws, a drill, anchor bolts, and a hammer, screwdrivers etc., just to build something like this (even if I knew where I could get the materials) -

pfnTHa.jpg

Terry I have seen knee replacement surgery as well as Repicci knee. Most people do really really well. It wont make you Pele, and not the volcano god either. Be motivated and positive!

Terry, I had both my knees replaced last June. It has changed my life. Can now walk up steps like a normal person. I think the only tip I have is rehab. Make sure you focus on it. Being an "old nurse", I was determined to be independent from day one ( no one was showering me!!!). That helped.
Terry, I had my left hip replacement about 15 months ago, he cracked my pelvis, I was on toe touch only walking with a walker for 6 weeks and very slow recovery for 6 months. TSA loves to pat me down with all the metal. I doubt I would do it again, now my right knee is arthritic, plan to wait until there is no option. Others have had much better outcomes. Good luck to you.

Appreciate these kind comments and helpful follow-ups. Per Spins, it is too bad that I will not be "Pele, and not the volcano god either". But at my age, one cannot have unrealistic dreams or fantasies. YES, that physical therapy is vital and I will try to be a good patient. My wife is a RN, so that will help. Plus, I am very motivated to do those exercises with our Nov. 16-Dec. 5, 2018, sailing from Athens to Dubai for our first visits o the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, etc., coming up later this year. Got to be ready for lots of exploring in those historic and scenic areas.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 56,133 views for these postings.

Good Morning Coolers.....

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the wedding yesterday ...my kids joined me so a great excuse to crack open some bubbles!

Harry and Meghan certainly did it ‘their way’ and it made a nice change from the usual pomp!

Four paws going to his Pooch Nanny this morning then final preparations for a very early departure tomorrow to Lisbon.

Sorry to see Spins isn’t too well, hope you improve soon.

Many Congratulations to Misty and Myster on your Ruby Wedding Anniversary.....

Happy Day 😊

Out of interest ....

if Meghan had been on a visit to London, and met Harry in a pub and he was say a trader and not of his parentage, is it your instinct that she with her background would have looked at him twice?

Just a thought.

Absolutely no idea. But if Bob were a woman he'd be your aunt.

Greetings Coolers! Rain today and Myster is going to hit the links anyway. :)

Thanks so much Miss S. and J!!!!! I love the pic J!

Bon Voyage and safe travels Miss S. and Rp! Have a wonderful trip!

Hope you feel better soon Spins!

Today's funny.....

29541958_1651522094894815_2522291260266487562_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=a386f4bc6304271de45fdb9fba549680&oe=5B8D5CE2

Have a great day all!

Hmm, voluntary job today, proper job after to sort out late developments and amend holiday notes, home and packing at some stage late tonight or tomorrow. Fortunately we have a late flight to Lisbon tomorrow or else there is no way we would be ready. Why is going on holiday such hassle?

Happy anniversary to the Misty-Mysters

Rp

Thanks Jeff! That one was a little more of a challenge to read than most. He makes his points very forcefully and the mind does reel a bit.

A weak column today.

Have a really wonderful day. 40 years is a remarkable achievement and is only possible when two really nice people remain nice to each other.

Hope,you have many more years of adventures together.

Thanks J! And it seems it also works if one person is extremely nice and the other is "reasonably" nice. To be clear....Myster is the extremely nice one. :) He is currently on the links and I just hope he does not come home drenched. Rain has been on and off for most of the day. Interestingly, it rained on our wedding day as well.