Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers! Another frigid morning here 4 C (39 F). Sorry if this is also affecting you JP!

TTS...your dog is so cute! Thanks for making me smile this morning.

J...thanks for passing on Miss S.'s trip report. Her last port doesn't sound very appealing. I am at a loss as to what the "knotted hankie brigade" is. Help anyone?????

Have a great day all!

M, I tried googling it and I think one of the other coolers who speaks British slang will have to fill us in.

Do you mean 4F? It's 10F/-12C here so right now I'd love some of that 4C weather you're speaking of.

Love the dog story. I had a dog growing up who was protective of me as well. Will have to find an old picture and scan it in.

Off to visit Chris' Dad this weekend. Time to pay our penance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

J...thanks for passing on Miss S.'s trip report. Her last port doesn't sound very appealing. I am at a loss as to what the "knotted hankie brigade" is. Help anyone?????

Have a great day all!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=knotted+hanky&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ1sqhjozYAhVpCcAKHaWoCWMQ_AUICigB&biw=1064&bih=620

A picture paints a thousand words M. I suspect it is the obvious consequence of SS filling some of their supposed upmarket cruises with large numbers of clearly identifiable readers of "lower" publications at discounted prices. I suspect they ensure they get their "money's-worth" ;)

Today was slow roasted shoulder of pork, with knödel, potato and cabbage in a Noily sauce. Wifey enjoyed it. :)

29e8c0c6bd7ce4e3fbdf3d00f44f6687.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers! Another frigid morning here 4 C (39 F). Sorry if this is also affecting you JP!

OK Folks. My brain was obviously frozen when I posted this. It was 4 F this morning. Not 4 C. Sorry if I caused some head-scratching. :(

And your meal looks soooooo yummy J!

I say Bah Humbug to conversion rates! Can't keep things straight these days. Our furnace thermostat displays the temp in F. We're not easily trained and we work better with the old system using F. Our weather news is in C of course and we struggle between the two. I know what 70 F feels like and I can't imagine 21.1111 C.

That scone does look like the pick of the litter J! Kind of you to pass it to Mrs. J.

TTS...adorable pics! It does seem like your wonder dog is bigger than your granddaughter. Pals for life! :)

There is an account of the sinking of the British Ambassador available as a book preview on google books from a book called "The Last Voyage of the Lucette" by Douglas Robertson. It appears starting on page 351 in an Epilogue 1975: Amen to the Ambassador. Be advised that it does take some time to load.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=QIEfsO-Z9gQC&pg=PA354&lpg=PA354&dq=british+ambassador+ship+rescue+by+fort+fetterman&source=bl&ots=CtMPKFmDwZ&sig=snpjuSKxVpZH-JQKY9JK7QxDdFA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNhNbt_4zYAhXI1IMKHcQVD7wQ6AEINzAF#v=onepage&q=british%20ambassador%20ship%20rescue%20by%20fort%20fetterman&f=false

The print is a wee bit small as well!

There are a couple of minor inaccuracies in that story .... the wind was Force 7 gusting 8, and there was an ‘incident’ with the lifeboat before it was evacuated. It was actually swamped as we came alongside the Fort Fetterman and thus she had to have another go to manoeuvre alongside us in the dead boat. The water was up to hip level and very cold. The Master of the Fort Fetterman did an amazing job, and everyone got on board safely ... no injuries but dented pride as far as I was concerned! My first command [emoji847] and the bloody thing sank[emoji34]

Not impressed at all, but hey ho .... an occupational hazard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings Coolers! It's warming up here. All the way up to 12 F.

MBP&O2/O were you the Master on the Ambassador then? Or am I misunderstanding? If you were, the story obviously becomes more of a hair-raising experience with the fate of the crew in your hands. WOW!

Have a great day all!

Not the Master .... Second Officer who was just in command of the lifeboat. What is it they say about ‘volunteers’? A volunteer is someone who misheard the question?

I ‘volunteered’ ( from an available cast of one) to take the boat. The object was to transfer non essential staff and wives ..... come back .... take a second lot across remain on board, but ......

There are few of my inputs on ShipNostalgia.

Mike

Yes, we moved house and lost Virgin, so the site is no longer hosted as such, which gives me a chance to update the pages whilst I look for some suitable hosting. The whole trip on that ship was a fiasco for want of a better word[emoji849]

This is a more spectacular pic .... I hope!

0093201d6171883a3541f1b87bd9590a.jpg

Greetings Coolers! Another frigid morning here at 0 F!

Cooler is quiet these days. Only 8 more sleeps before the festivities begin. I want to take this opportunity to wish all the Coolers (and lurkers) a very Happy Holiday season! May 2018 ring with optimism, cheer and laughter!

DSC00005rEV.jpg

Have a great day all!