Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

HI Terry, thanks for the reply:)....I think I am going to call them and speak 1 2 1........sounds like a very positive experience:)

Good luck, Lois, with that planning. Cruises have their pluses and advantages. BUT, there are good reasons to consider such land options, especially for certain areas of the world. As mentioned, great options in considering Ireland versus London/Paris. What time of the year are you planning for this "adventure"? How much are you seeking and need a "city escape" versus more in the countryside/nature experience?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,288 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Terry, I want to go around my birthday.........which is in March. Globus has a tour I am thinking about. Spoke with a gal this afternoon and she is sending me a quote with everything.....not sure I am going go to do it but I need to start somewhere.

Terry, I want to go around my birthday.........which is in March. Globus has a tour I am thinking about. Spoke with a gal this afternoon and she is sending me a quote with everything.....not sure I am going go to do it but I need to start somewhere.

March does get a little more challenging for weather in some locations. BUT, the good news is that you are planning ahead and being brave in going to new and/or different locations. Keep up the good efforts.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Terry, it is not ahead at all really............only 3 months away:eek:.........I have to admit, the gal who helped me...well, she had

me on speaker and I just don't like that........I guess I should have asked her to pick up the phone..........she sent me

the price but I had asked for the breakdown of the flights too......she didn't send them. So I emailed her back............

so far, no answer.

I am looking at RIVER CRUISES now............As much I as loved my SS cruise, I really loved my river cruise last year.

So looking at another one......it won't be till APRIL but they don't do many river cruises in March.:eek:

Lois. Uniworld castles on the Rhine is going for $3998 for a single traveler, Cat 5 cabin. March 25, Amsterdam to Basel. Do that, then take the train from Basel to Paris for a few days (shouldn't be more than 2h) then fly home from Paris. SS Antoinette is a lovely ship and this is a great itinerary.

It starts in Amsterdam and goes South. So you get the less attractive part of the Rhine over with on day 1. You go through Alsace which is charming. And the castles. What's not to like? And it's discounted because it's the first one of the season.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Lois. Uniworld castles on the Rhine is going for $3998 for a single traveler, Cat 5 cabin. March 25, Amsterdam to Basel. Do that, then take the train from Basel to Paris for a few days (shouldn't be more than 2h) then fly home from Paris. SS Antoinette is a lovely ship and this is a great itinerary.

It starts in Amsterdam and goes South. So you get the less attractive part of the Rhine over with on day 1. You go through Alsace which is charming. And the castles. What's not to like? And it's discounted because it's the first one of the season.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Hi JP:)...I cannot sail at the end of the month:eek:....March 25th is not in the cards...........I actually called UNIWORLD

they had ONE cabin open on the Paris/Normandy cruise for the date I want........lol........the Royal Suite for

around 17 grand:eek:........can't do it.......I will find something.........looking at AVALON right now........

No need to be sorry:)..........that 4 letter word gets in the way of travel times:eek:..........month end is the one time

I cannot be away.

I will find something.:)

No need to be sorry:)..........that 4 letter word gets in the way of travel times:eek:..........month end is the one time

I cannot be away.

I will find something.:)

Lois, month-end closing? If so, I feel for you...can get to be stressful...I was there long, long time ago. Hope you find your desired trip option!!

Morning all and happy December 23rd. Egads I can't believe tomorrow is Christmas Eve.

I have no excuse as I am retired, but I am not ready for Christmas. Even with lists and planning, there is too much left to do.

How about you all? Menus, gifts, company, travel, solitude?

Ready, not ready or somewhere in between?

I am off to take advantage of this beautiful day and think thankful thoughts and gratitude for each minute.

Happy holidays and plenty of cheer!

Greetings All......the week has sped by since l flew home from the Seychelles.....thankfully no jet lag but very weary!

The cruise was excellent in the usual SS style.....highlights for me personally was Mumbai and the Seychelles....crossing the equator was fun and the second time for me in forty five years....brought back a lot of memories!

Very impressed with Emirates...on the Mahe to Dubai leg sat next to the pilots wife which was rather reassuring!

They excelled with the Chauffeur service and the northern Manchester crew were brilliant bringing me home.

The Spirit is well in need of dry dock and although she's going to be Musified l think they'll do a great job....looking forward to seeing the changes next May.

Have been trying to catch up so apologies if l have missed something.....many congratulations to Cam's Roberto on his wonderful achievement......

Lois l hope is still keeping her chin up and enjoying the planning for the next adventure....

Usual kudos to the chefs for the delish offerings....and safe travels to those who are travelling this Christmas to see family.

Upon returning home l discovered I'd had a burst water pipe outside but quickly dealt with so no other damage....this past couple of days I've had all the food delivered so the fridge is full....furry baby is home and all is good.

Tomorrow is brunch here before the kids head down to Hampshire for Christmas Day....it may be a sad time for them as this could be the last festive season for my son in laws father.

I shall remain at the helm for when they return on Boxing Day.....

Just this morning l have already booked up flights for next years voyages and feel so lucky to be able to do so.

I wish you all a very Happy Christmas and New Year....may all your dreams and wishes come true and your travels be safe wherever in the world you may be and may you have health to enjoy.

Sophia 😊

Good morning all and Happy Christmas!

Spins, your post has made me smile, as I am in the somewhere in between category. Christmas Eve will be at our home with DD and family. Since we don't entertain as much as we did when in Ithaca (where academics entertain formally), the silver has not been polished!! We always like to set a pretty table and the kids, even as toddlers, have been expected to display good manners.

Rather than our traditional "lechón", or roast pig, this year Roberto decided on a lovely piece of beef filet he found at Costco. We will still have "arroz con gandules" and maybe "tostones with "mojo", but he also bought roasted Brussel sprouts, evidencing that our eating habits have indeed changed after 25 years living in this country. We haven't thought about dessert yet.

What are other Coolers planning, if at all??

Good morning all and Happy Christmas!

Spins, your post has made me smile, as I am in the somewhere in between category. Christmas Eve will be at our home with DD and family. Since we don't entertain as much as we did when in Ithaca (where academics entertain formally), the silver has not been polished!! We always like to set a pretty table and the kids, even as toddlers, have been expected to display good manners.

Rather than our traditional "lechón", or roast pig, this year Roberto decided on a lovely piece of beef filet he found at Costco. We will still have "arroz con gandules" and maybe "tostones with "mojo", but he also bought roasted Brussel sprouts, evidencing that our eating habits have indeed changed after 25 years living in this country. We haven't thought about dessert yet.

What are other Coolers planning, if at all??

We are looking forward (as long as it is delivered .......) a nice 30 day dry aged Aberdeen Angus sirloin. As it is around 2.5kg we will be eating it for a day or two ....

39365011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=a07126e23085506fb14074b2f142935f

OMG.......Jeff, that rib roast looks AWESOME:D

I forgot how fast RIVER CRUISES book up:eek:.........I have a couple of options and I also am looking at this land trip

to Ireland with Trafagler and the one with Globus.......I know the longer I wait to book those options may disappear too.

...to Ireland with Trafagler....

Do you have a link? The problem with Ireland is that some tours tend to take in the headline tourist traps while overlooking often more interesting destinations. Although if you've never been to Ireland you should definitely take the opportunity as it has produced some of the world's foremost thinkers, writers and musicians. Well, it produced me for a start!

For the first time in 37 years we are spending the day not with family. Our nearest neighbours are in the same position so we are sharing the day with them. Means much less work for Mrs TTS who generally spends the holiday marshalling the troops to their various tasks while she guards her range with demonic jealousy. Also Mrs neighbour is a farmer's wife of the stereotypical variety and I can guarantee that the four of us will be presented with enough food to feed East Anglia cooked as only someone who has lived their whole life on the soil can. Excellent.

Do you have a link? The problem with Ireland is that some tours tend to take in the headline tourist traps while overlooking often more interesting destinations. Although if you've never been to Ireland you should definitely take the opportunity as it has produced some of the world's foremost thinkers, writers and musicians. Well, it produced me for a start!

Hi, here is the link:

https://www.trafalgar.com/usa/tours/enchanting-emerald-isle?season=Summer+2018&selectedDeparture=March+2018

Thoughts would be appreciated.......and no, I have never visited Ireland, Scotland or Wales....and the last time I was in England?

More than 30 years ago. But I have wanted to visit Ireland for a long time.

On an aside, I had contacted another company a few months ago called "EMERALD CUSTOM TOURS"..........they

have much smaller groups and specialize in Ireland/Scotland........

Here is a link to see those tours.........

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=176164&part=2

Here is a link to the HOMEPAGE:

https://emeraldcustomtours.com/

Edited by Lois R

Hi, here is the link:

https://www.trafalgar.com/usa/tours/enchanting-emerald-isle?season=Summer+2018&selectedDeparture=March+2018

Thoughts would be appreciated.......and no, I have never visited Ireland, Scotland or Wales....and the last time I was in England?

I would say that is a very nice itinerary and packs a good number of interesting things into 8 days. The Cliffs of Moher and Ring of Kerry are unmissable. Trinity College library in Dublin is amazing and the Book of Kells is iconic in Irish history - you should also see the original Irish harp which is reproduced on all official Irish documents (stamps, passport etc). For a first trip to the world's premier island you would be getting a good mix of scenery and culture. I'm almost talking myself into booking!!

I note that the trip doesn't venture North of the border; that's OK, I shan't take it personally.

Hi, here is the link:

Appreciate this Ireland tour link. Lots of super nice locations and options with this potential. We did see and visit many of these same locations during our 2000 trip there. BUT, there is the question to consider on weather trade-offs for doing Ireland in this part of March. Ireland weather is always changing. Can have rain, hail, sunshine, etc. All in the same day!! YES, it happened to us on our first day in Ireland. BUT, those changing conditions can also be kind of fun.

Love Ireland so much. Wonderful people and excellent sights!! Will try to post pictures later.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,293 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good point about the weather. At that time of year it will rain, the temp unlikely to top 15c and, particularly in the West, it will be windy. On the other hand, the weather is very changeable - not just from day to day but hour to hour. That's why we have Guinness: a couple of glasses and who cares about the weather?

Good point about the weather. At that time of year it will rain, the temp unlikely to top 15c and, particularly in the West, it will be windy. On the other hand, the weather is very changeable - not just from day to day but hour to hour. That's why we have Guinness: a couple of glasses and who cares about the weather?

Great above points by Tothesunset!! Super love your example as to why drinking Irish beer can have many, multiple benefits. Below are a few of my visuals from when we visited and loved Ireland in 2000. Need to go back to Ireland.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 228,587 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is a view of the Cliffs of Moher towering over the Atlantic Ocean along the scenic western coast of Ireland. Near this spot, these cliffs are 700 feet high and we stopped near O'Brien's Tower, a round stone tower. In March 2000, when we visited here, the then Vice President of China, later their President, was also visiting with his huge security grouping. Second is a typical view of the western Irish countryside with sheep having grown their long wool coats. Third is Kilkenny Castle, built in 1195 by the Normans. It is in SE Ireland, north of Waterford.:

July%202017A%201646_zpsuhgulttg.jpg

July%202017A%201647_zpsfnke8o7w.jpg

July%202017A%201648_zpsspafdlxm.jpg

At Dublin’s Trinity College, here is a distinctive statute in the center of this campus founded in 1592 by Queen Elizabeth I.:

DublinTrinityStatute.jpg

For seven centuries, Dublin Castle was the symbol of English rule, including the round, 1226 Record Tower and the Chapel Royal at the right.:

DublinCastle.jpg