Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Good Morning Coolers!

The Standards and Practices Committee have been drinking long into the night and have decided that 20th December each year will henceforth be celebrated as Roberto Sierra Day in recognition of our talented but absent musician who we all admire and wish to honour. Each year we'll devise a special cocktail in his honour. Attendance on these days will be mandatory, and attire will be strictly formal ie clean underwear. I wish I was as good looking as Roberto, and had a tenth of his talent. Life would be sweet. :)

Roberto_Sierra_photo_1668x2500_by_Virginia_Sierra01.jpg

As an aside, on the off-chance that there are any Ambassador Sprite members of Intercontinental Hotels around who would use a free weekend night certificate before 1st April, I'll be happy to pop one into the post to anyone who will certainly make use of it. This is what happens when you tidy up your den in preperation for new technology you find unopened boxes and envelopes!

And of course, yes, Cam, there is a Santa Claus. But you knew that already!

Jeff, a powerful and warm and evocative picture of the composer!

Thanks for sharing.

The honor bestowed upon Roberto is so amazingly wonderful. He deserves that and much more.

Well my last 24 has neen one of installing and setting up the nice shiny new computer. I ordered it on Monday at 8pm and it arrived at lunch time on Tuesday.

I have decided to treat myself to a nice new screen and I was told that it is currently in Poland but will be with me tomorrow!

Dell have been a nightmare as usual with bits missing and then claiming they weren't included ..... which they were .... so a nice two days arguing with people who's mother tongue does not appear to be English, then without any apology agreed they were included and said they would be sent. Not holding my breath .... hard to believe they were clients of ours .....

Good Morning Coolers!

The Standards and Practices Committee have been drinking long into the night and have decided that 20th December each year will henceforth be celebrated as Roberto Sierra Day in recognition of our talented but absent musician who we all admire and wish to honour. Each year we'll devise a special cocktail in his honour. Attendance on these days will be mandatory, and attire will be strictly formal ie clean underwear. I wish I was as good looking as Roberto, and had a tenth of his talent. Life would be sweet. :)

Roberto_Sierra_photo_1668x2500_by_Virginia_Sierra01.jpg

As an aside, on the off-chance that there are any Ambassador Sprite members of Intercontinental Hotels around who would use a free weekend night certificate before 1st April, I'll be happy to pop one into the post to anyone who will certainly make use of it. This is what happens when you tidy up your den in preperation for new technology you find unopened boxes and envelopes!

Suggest the drink be named after one of Roberto's works! Now we just have to concoct it!

Hi Spins, great minds .... I had been thinking of what might be a fitting tribute to him. I think the drink should fit the man rather than the music.

I have temporarily lost the power of memory but in one of his articles he talked about how spontaneous his music was and that it came from feeling rather than mechanical construction. There was a specific word for it which I cannot recall. It is annoying. So that means that the drink must include passion fruit.

Because of his origins it should be rum based. And because perfection often seems elusive to a talented artist I suggest a dash of bitters. And to calm the emotions when things get hot, some ice. This is apparently a simple drink but I think masks complexity. And of course it should be called a Roberto.

:)

Computers! :rolleyes:

I love them when everything works. I'm behind 'The Great Firewall' (TGF) in China and have to have a VPN to access 'normal' internet i.e. Google, YouTube, FB, Twitter etc. (I don't use social media) that is blocked by China.

I've been using Astrill for six years and it has worked extremely well 99.99% of the time (occasionally, the commies will 'attack', but Astrill gets it back 'up and running' in a few hours). The problem is with BBC iPlayer - it's georestricted (you're supposed to be in the UK) - and BBC is now blocking Astrill's UK servers (it 'knows' the Astrill IPs). Astrill is not fixing this.

I switched to NordVPN. For the last three days I've been 'tweaking' the computer to get it to work. I've:

- cleared cookies and cached files;

- in Nework Adapter Settings I've 'disabled' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6), and for IPv4 entered Nord's custom Preferred and Alternate DNS server addresses;

- I've run Command Prompt as 'Administrator' with these commands:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset

netsh interface ipv4 reset

netsh interface ipv6 reset

netsh interface ip delete destinationcache

netsh winsock reset catalog

I can now watch BBC iPlayer and access the entire internet (Google etc.) by connecting to a couple of Nord's 'Obfuscated' servers in the UK. The trouble with that is, all computers think I'm in the UK, and I can't access georestricted sites (like PBS TV in U.S.) in other countries ... or get prices in other than UK pounds. When I switch to Nord's servers in another country, TGF 'kicks in' and I can't access sites restricted by China. I have to switch to 'Regular' Nord servers which may or may not connect, and may or may not work to get around TGF. Oddly enough, I can access my Gmail account.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! I want to keel haul a Chinese, 'party member' IT bureaucrat after giving him 20 lashes at the mast. :mad:

Maybe I'll try another VPN provider (Nord has a 30-day money back guarantee)... but that will probably mean another three days trying to get it to work. :(

Oh well... I'm retiring - leaving China on Jan. 31, and moving to Phu Quoc to lounge around the pool all day by a coconut palm tree-lined white sand beach in Vietnam... where the internet is not restricted. :cool:

I'm sure IPVanish works well... if you're not in China.

Our automated IPVanish apps will not work if you are attempting to connect to our VPN from inside of China because our domain is being blocked within the region. For our VPN to successfully operate in China, you will need to manually configure and connect to our servers' IP addresses instead of our server names.
https://www.ipvanish.com/visualguides/L2TP/Windows7/

To manually 'configure and connect' using Windows 7 requires one to go through nineteen steps!

I'm sure IPVanish works well... if you're not in China.

https://www.ipvanish.com/visualguides/L2TP/Windows7/

To manually 'configure and connect' using Windows 7 requires one to go through nineteen steps!

Do you have any technically competent family or friends in the UK that might be able to set you up with a private UK based vpn on their machine?

Greetings Coolers!

Have a magical holiday season all! Enjoy Atlanta JP and Chris! Safe travels to all venturing forth!

And a virtual toast to all our fellow Coolers! Live long and prosper!

Have a great day all!

Greetings Coolers! Have a magical holiday season all! Enjoy Atlanta JP and Chris! Safe travels to all venturing forth! And a virtual toast to all our fellow Coolers! Live long and prosper! Have a great day all!

Super CONGRATS to Camillus112 and Roberto, etc. Yes, safe travels to all on the road during this holiday period. As the pictures below illustrate, we are in Kansas City, Missouri, on our way out to the middle of Kansas for Christmas with my wife's brother, etc. Staying (nicely upgraded to a Suite) at the historic Raphael Hotel overlooking the Country Club Plaza shopping area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 190,963 views for this posting.

At Kansas City's Country Club Plaza last night, this shows how this 1920's, architecture-styled shopping mecca based on Seville, Spain, is decorated for the holidays. Second is the dining place we super enjoyed last night. No, we did not dine outside.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201642_zps347br7uk.jpg

July%202017A%201643_zpstac2yvfk.jpg

Before we departed, our male, yellow lab, Rudy, had to go to "camp" in the country to play with his friends. Here is Rudy in the back seat of my car ready for the road-trip. Rudy is now age 11 and a half. Doing well and very active as this picture reflects!!:

July%202017A%201641_zps84yih49u.jpg

Earlier in the week, here was a dining treat that I enjoyed. It was braised port shank, “Osso Bucco” cut, Southern-style hominy, mild chili, radish, onion. Love Osso Bucco, but no, did not go for the marrow. Sorry!:

July%202017A%201640_zps1wyxwwxy.jpg

Good afternoon:).......hope all of you are doing well. Had to go to the lab for another set of blood tests yesterday.........

got the results already...overnight is pretty quick.......part of these were a follow up from my regular GP.......well, I have

to go back on my Cholesterol meds......he took me off them a few months ago with all the stuff about the kidneys

happened. But now that cholesterol number is too high:eek:....why I am NOT surprised? But the glucose number is still

looking VERY GOOD:D..........A1C number is below 6:D

Terry, good to see you.:)

Question for ALL the coolers..........have any of you gone on land trips? AND if so, have you used GLOBUS OR TRAFAGLER TOURS?............I just cannot find a cruise for the big birthday and I am seriously considering a land

trip to either 1)IRELAND or 2) PARIS/LONDON................

Lois, great news about your glucose number; you have been very good and will not get a bag of coal for Christmas!

I did travel with Globus... in 1976. My input, of course, will not be relevant, but - contrary to other threads - I'm sure you won't mind and will read on. It was a high-end tour of major capitals (London, Paris, Madrid), pretty expensive for a young working girl... but I was not married at the time and could splurge. It was very professionally managed and the tour guide at every capital was an academic versed on the history, architecture, as well as the social and economic issues of each area. Luggage handling was excellent; appearing by my room on arrival and disappearing when leaving (just like in cruises). The hotels were 5*. One caveat, very little free time. Another, one obnoxious and whining couple who there was no way to escape from (unlike in a cruise). My fondest memories of the tour were coincidentally meeting the actor Robert Mitchum in the London hotel, and the actress Candice Bergen in Paris. I'm sure somebody will post with a more recent experience.

HI Cam, 1976? Long time ago;).......i guess having a complainer on a tour can happen anywhere........:eek:

This tour is 3 nights in London and 3 nights in Paris...........

I have to go back on my Cholesterol meds......he took me off them a few months ago with all the stuff about the kidneys happened. But now that cholesterol number is too high ....why I am NOT surprised? But the glucose number is still looking VERY GOOD..........A1C number is below 6. Terry, good to see you.:) Question for ALL the coolers..........have any of you gone on land trips?AND if so, have you used GLOBUS OR TRAFAGLER TOURS?............I just cannot find a cruise for the big birthday and I am seriously considering a land trip to either 1)IRELAND or 2) PARIS/LONDON.

Appreciate Lois' follow-up, welcoming and those pesky health details. Good luck with those challenges. JP is encouraging me to dine on the marrow, but we all have to be careful about cholesterol. Right?

On Globus, we will be using them for the various ground arrangements and tours in Southeast Asia before and after doing our seven-day Mekong River sailing with their sister company of Avalon Waterways. This includes for city activities and stays in Bangkok, Ho Chi Minh City, Siem Reap and Hanoi. Why Globus? We have had several experienced friends who have used them and they have been very, very satisfied!!! We also used one of the Globus sister companies in June for our tours/stay in Lisbon. Excellent results. Overall, the key message with Globus is that they BOTH do a very good job AND tend to attract/keep the "best of the best" in having excellent local guides. The quality of local guides makes such a positive difference in having the best desired travel experiences.

For SE Asia, Globus has an excellent line-up and my understanding is that they perform at that high level for Europe, too, where they are based. As I have been dealing this company, I have been very pleased. From what I have heard, Tauck is very, very good, but priced rather high. Globus seems to fit our "sweet spot" for top quality at a decent value/pricing level.

Great options to consider with either Ireland or Paris/London. Don't be shy, keep firing away with the very good questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,293 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From lunch at Jack's Stack in Kansas City's famed Country Club Plaza, here is a sample for what we super enjoyed. First, is their famed corn bread. Wonderful. Next was a mix of BBQ ribs, burnt ends of beef and then a loaded baked potato. Excellent tastes!!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

July%202017A%201645_zpsmag8n0rd.jpg

July%202017A%201644_zpsujydhnge.jpg