Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Good Afternoon All,

I think on balance we have a really love/hate relationship with the whole season. It is a combination of being in an environment where everyone seems so stressed and there's no escape from it. Also they are coming around so quickly now, we both hate the constant reminder of how speedy time passes.

Our ritual for New Year is that we have a motorised satellite system and we follow New Year around the world starting off with New Zealand and Oz and passing through Asia and Far East then Middle East, Germany is always fun an hour ahead of us and then us. On New Years day it is the full Vienna New Years concert on satellite until the Beeb takes over, and some will; be aware that the Germans have a tradition of watching "Dinner for One" which we follow around all the German stations as it is on almost every station at least once ..... with a bottle of Bredon champers and something light to eat that day.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b&dcr=0&ei=7e1EWv2qLqSdgAb5iJLgCQ&q=%22dinner+for+one%22+same+procedure&oq=%22dinner+for+one%22+same+procedure&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0l2j0i22i30k1l3.71993.80649.0.80913.31.31.0.0.0.0.87.1978.31.31.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.31.1977...35i39k1j0i131k1j0i67k1j0i131i46k1j46i131k1j0i131i67k1j0i20i263k1.0.O4o7ZgR-Ta4

Our ritual for New Year is that we have a motorised satellite system and we follow New Year around the world starting off with New Zealand and Oz and passing through Asia and Far East then Middle East, Germany is always fun an hour ahead of us and then us. On New Years day it is the full Vienna New Years concert on satellite until the Beeb takes over.

Yes! Yes! Agree on the fun for seeing the various New Years celebrations around the world, including for Sydney Harbour. Agree that the Vienna New Years concert is excellent. PBS broadcasts that here in the USA.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 221,395 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

NYE? Another member of the ‘forget it’ brigade.

I’ve spent so many Christmas’s and New Years either away from home or working when shoreside. If I was day off then Mrs B would probably end up working so now both are just another day[emoji57]

I did have one good Xmas at sea though ... as Second Officer ( and in charge of the day to day navigation) I approached the captain and t old him that we needed to 'flog the clocks' on Christmas Eve night (i.e. 02:00 on Christmas Day). This wasn't a great problem but in this case we were also crossing the International Date Line - and we needed to miss a day as well. My suggestion to cancel Christmas Day was vetoed (some people have no sense of humour) The side effects of this delay were that sunrise was well after breakfast, nautical noon was at a ridiculous time of almost 2:00pm, and the Chief Engineer was furious at that (goodness knows why?) but Christmas Day went ahead as normal, but we were forced to advance the clocks 24hrs and cancel Boxing Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings Coolers!

As the New Year approaches I wanted to share a New Year's wish to the world written by Neil Gaiman in December 2014. Neil Gaiman is an English author (born in Portchester, UK) of short fiction, novels, comic books, graphic novels, audio theatre, and films. His wish:

"Be kind to yourself in the year ahead.

Remember to forgive yourself and to forgive others. It's too easy to be outraged these days, so much harder to change things, to reach out, to understand.

Try to make your time matter: minutes and hours and days and weeks can blow away like dead leaves, with nothing to show but time you spent not quite ever doing things, or time you spent waiting to begin.

Meet new people and talk to them. Make new things and show them to people who might enjoy them.

Hug too much. Smile too much. And, when you can, love.

-Neil Gaiman"

Have a great day all!

Thanks, Mysty, for your good wishes and Neil Gaiman's New Year wish. We have no plans for NYE, since we are now preparing for our trip to Barbados and cruise to Caribbean Islands. We have not cruised Seabourn since 2010 or so, and, therefore, we have a blank slate of expectations. I do remember that crew members were mostly Eastern Europeans, and many were/had been hotel school students in their home countries. Conversations with them flowed easily, as most were proficient in both English and Spanish! We'll find out if the level of service and food quality has changed from our recollection.

Our warmest wishes for a great, healthy and fun New Year to all Coolers!!!

We're off to Atlanta tonight for New Year's weekend. There's a benefit gala at the Georgia Aquarium on New Year's Eve which we will be attending. Have always wanted to visit and this is a great opportunity!

We are definitely not in the forget it mode yet. We always try to do something fun. And it's the one holiday for which we try very hard to avoid being on call. We'd both rather work Thanksgiving or Christmas than New Year's. Even though the years are flying by, it is a fun time and there is a lot to look forward to.

Happy New Year to all!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Happy New Year all!

I am enjoying the sentiments.

I am not enamored of New Years Eve, and don't understand why I should let old acquaintances be forgotten. It's so melancholic.

Have fun at the Aquarium JP. The same Marcus family started Neuroscience institute in South Florida.

On another silly note, I have decided to named the robot vacuum mitochondria. It's doing a good job.

:-)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good Evening All from a rainy blighty!

M .... whilst the general sentiment that one should never self-harm is right, I think I'd only adjust your sentiments slightly. Firstly I nearly always forgive those that genuinely seek forgiveness for something that they have done wrong, but I do not believe that you should ever forgive those that never apologise and do not believe they did wrong or do feel they did wrong but do not care, and unpopular as it may seem it is perfectly natural and right that you should mistrust people in the future if they have behaved dishonourably in the past. Unless there is genuine contrition. Yes, of course you should move on, but it is patronising to say to someone that doesn't feel that they have done anything wrong or it doesn't matter, that you "forgive them" and I do not believe that you "can" forgive someone unless they request it in the same way that you cannot unlock a door that is already unlocked. Imposing forgiveness on someone not requesting it seems rude, and insulting because it is patronising and presumes some sort of pious sanctimonious moral superiority.

To be honest when I see that stuff on TV when someone normally reciting a religious belief says that they have forgiven someone else's terrible act, whilst it can be self-healing in every other respect it has no purpose whatsoever and is therefore purely sanctimoniously self-indulgent.

We are all different! :)

Anyway ..... today I made a shashlik pilaff.

3b695b288e28cbf66250d9700c1a3cb2.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

J...your dish looks scrumptious! Pizza is in the process here.

As to the "forgiveness" question, my take is slightly different. I would not announce any type of forgiveness unless it was specifically asked for and deemed appropriate (as you suggest). The forgiveness I would consider for those who do not think they did anything wrong or those who don't care would be an internal forgiveness..a kind of letting go and moving on. I agree that declarations of forgiveness have little or no impact on the person who erred and who is unconcerned or oblivious. A rather pointless exercise and yes, I agree, rather a sanctimonious, self-indulgent gesture. But an acceptance that the wrong will go unacknowledged by the perpetrator and a decision to move on (being mindful that once burnt twice shy) will give me some piece of mind. Easier for me than to carry on with a dangling feeling of hurt.

Edited by mysty

That does give me comfort J! :) I'm working through the book I referred to a while ago...The Art of the Good Life by Rolf Dobelli. I'm devising a strategy for myself and my way of interacting in the world and my world view.

Wishing all of you a Very Happy New Year.:)...hoping for a better 2018........this year was not so good:eek:

JP, be careful traveling.........it is nasty all over......I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve in many years.......I stay home

(it is just like any other night for me) and I watch football:D and I don't even make it to watching the ball drop anymore.

I think I hurt my back:(.......not sure what I did, it is on the left side, sort of from the shoulder blade down........I am

sitting in my Lazy Boy with a heating pad and I took 800 mg of Ibruprohen..........hoping it is nothing bad.......maybe I

slept wrong but it has been hurting for about 2.5 days now:(...........

Hi Cam, I would not say severe.....and now it is too late to see the Dr......tomorrow is Saturday. IF it is bad again tomorrow, I may go to one of those outpatient places.........it is sort of sore/pain..........

I'm no Dr either;)....and I don't play one on tv either LOL........I will see how I feel in the morning.........and I do thank

you for your concern.:)............it was ok part of the day and then sitting at my desk didn't help.....and again, it is just

one side.....so at least my whole back does not hurt........it is like one area.........

G'Day All......

Lois....do hope your pain isn't too bad and hopefully you've got some relief.

JP....your NYE trip sounds wonderful .....safe travels and enjoy.

Spins...had to giggle at your take on Auld Lang ......but some acquaintances maybe need to be forgot...which leads me on to the forgiveness chat....which l feel has to come from the heart if really meant.....there are some things we can forgive and some we can't.

Since DH passed I've tried to forgive and forget but at times it's hard to do so particularly when one thought one had supportive friends which sadly turned out to be not so...and very cruelly l might add.

I try very much not to dwell as it's so depressing but at times anger kicks in.....so l ignore and look forward rather than back as it makes for a much happier life if those folk no longer are a part of it....hence 'old acquaintances be forgot'

So, tonight we have Storm Dylan forecast for North Wales....right now we have severe winds and driving rain so I'm having a sofa /duvet day with four paws....just lovely....have made a chilli for later whilst l enjoy my usual drop of Alsace.......

Happy New Year Weekend To All.....

S😊

Good Afternoon Coolers .....

This time over here we have the New Years Honours which always includes a rag bag of political appointments and stuff that utterly largely infuriates Brits .... but I was so please today to see Helen Sharman given one of the top awards.

She use to work for Mars and applied speculatively to eventually become the first UK astronoaut. And a GIRL!

I got to know here when working for The Corporation as I use to book her as an "inspirational speaker" and once spent two weeks with her in Jersey where we had several back-to-back events. She had this magic about her, physically small but an enourmous friendly and lovely personality.

112530491-356380a3-4eb7-4ce2-9ca0-47d6c6e10718.jpg

Helen Sharman, a chemist who became the first British astronaut when she travelled to the Russian Mir space station in 1991, became a companion of the Order of St Michael and St George, for services to science and technology educational outreach.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=helen+sharman&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwie7Ly-3bHYAhWLJ8AKHYLtBLsQ_AUICygC&biw=2077&bih=821

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=helen+sharman&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj9sYfA3bHYAhVJIsAKHW2NA_cQ_AUICigB&biw=2077&bih=821&dpr=1.5#imgrc=tYvMXQnc6POZ-M:

Greetings Coolers!

Miss S.....totally agree with your method of dealing with the hurtful betrayal of supposed "friends". Those kinds of hurts cut deep! Stay warm and dry and enjoy your comfy sofa/duvet day!

JP...safe travels and have a wonderful NYE!

Have a great day all!

G'Day All......

Lois....do hope your pain isn't too bad and hopefully you've got some relief.

JP....your NYE trip sounds wonderful .....safe travels and enjoy.

Spins...had to giggle at your take on Auld Lang ......but some acquaintances maybe need to be forgot...which leads me on to the forgiveness chat....which l feel has to come from the heart if really meant.....there are some things we can forgive and some we can't.

Since DH passed I've tried to forgive and forget but at times it's hard to do so particularly when one thought one had supportive friends which sadly turned out to be not so...and very cruelly l might add.

I try very much not to dwell as it's so depressing but at times anger kicks in.....so l ignore and look forward rather than back as it makes for a much happier life if those folk no longer are a part of it....hence 'old acquaintances be forgot'

So, tonight we have Storm Dylan forecast for North Wales....right now we have severe winds and driving rain so I'm having a sofa /duvet day with four paws....just lovely....have made a chilli for later whilst l enjoy my usual drop of Alsace.......

Happy New Year Weekend To All.....

S😊

Hi Sophia, I guess there are things I have missed on here.....sending you condolences is one on my part......I had

no idea......wishing you all the best:) and as for people who are no longer friends and have been cruel to you? I am

so sorry.......:(........

I posted a link a few replies back with the Trafagler itinerary to Ireland but I have another company with much less

people on the tour......no more than 16........here is a link to them...........I am giving this one very serious thought.......

The company is called Emerald Custom Tours.......it is 8 nights roundtrip Dublin.........if you scroll down you can

see the stops and the hotels.........I have to say they all look really nice:D

https://web.mail.comcast.net/service/home/~/?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=176624&part=3

Hi Sophia, I guess there are things I have missed on here.....sending you condolences is one on my part......I had

no idea......wishing you all the best:) and as for people who are no longer friends and have been cruel to you? I am

so sorry.......:(........

Lois,

Sophia is a pretty private person who has an extraordinary life story of achievement and far too sadly dealing with and overcoming extreme suffering. She is a hero to me and wifey. And I'll say no more so as not to embarrass her! :)