Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Beef looks even better cooked! Yes the snow was pretty, but it made for an annoying commute this morning. Much better once we were home and watching from the inside!

Love that new screen you've got.

Have been spoiled the past few years, not working Christmas. Oh well. It wasn't too terrible this year. Looking forward to New Year's!

Thanks JP ... it is a lovely screen. Size isn't everything but 35 inches has changed my life. This is how far my life has sunk. :)

i must say I read your earlier post on your blog thread and I found myself thinking how inconsiderate some people are getting ill over the festive season. :D

There has to be a time in Chris's and your life where your lives aren't mandated by the impositions of weird shifts. I bet you must sometimes yearn for what others like me would call the mandane boringness of a more self managed routine. Personally I am never bored when I have nothing to do but only start panicing when something is expected of me.

Good morning...........Jeff, that roast looks awesome:)

Back to work for me today:rolleyes:..........I am hoping to make a decision about my trip within the next few days...........:eek:

Good morning post-Chrstmas!

Just like JP, we've been blanketed with snow, but the sun came out in full force and made for the most beautiful Christmas Day.

Today I start serious preparation for our trip to Barbados to hopefully enjoy some sunny days (it's actually raining there) before our cruise on Seabourn's Odyssey. We leave Jan 3, board Jan 6, and return on the 18th. I'll try and post comments, but I don't do pictures...sorry.

Have a great day, all!

Boxing Day Greetings from a cold but sunny Wales.....hope everyone had a good Christmas Day...all the food looks delicious....especially Jeff 's beef...mouthwatering!

I did a 'Home Alone' day and thoroughly enjoyed not having to run around like a scalded cat with the pressure and stress of catering....my choice entirely and a good one....I'd insisted the kids go south to the in laws due to the father being terminally ill, although I had been invited l couldn't face the long journey down after the long flight home....I'd also politely declined three invites to join friends....to be sure they must think me a miserable old sod 😉

So...four paws and l enjoyed a lovely turkey dinner and will have the same today.....after the Moet!

On Christmas Eve l managed to bag my flights for next year to NY and Barbados at a bargain fare so thats my Christmas present to myself!

Over the next few months I'll be asking for suggestions for a NYC hotel as I'm flying in for a couple of days before boarding the Spirit....I've looked at the Pierre and the Mark but reviews are not good...Plaza and Waldorf l fear may be too touristy....so any ideas will be most welcome along with a good Limo company whom l can use durIng my stay for wherever l want to go......can you tell l love planning ahead!!

Happy Day

:)

Sophia. We really like the NoMad hotel on Broadway, in the high 20s - 28th? It's a mile or so from the insanity of Times Square, but lots to do there as well. And their restaurant is just awesome.

We also stay in Lower Manhattan and can recommend the Beekman. Lower Manhattan is underappreciated IMO and there is a lot of "old" (for the US) historical stuff there. And you can practically walk to the Staten Island ferry to get a free cruise by the statue of liberty.

We have also stayed at a few places near Times square and I can get those names to you later if you are interested.

No limo advice from me. We drive when necessary, or use the trains and the subway. Driving, or being driven, is painful.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Afternoon Coolers,

Sophia, my regular visits to NY are long over, but mostly for location I us to use what is now The Iberostar on Park Avenue. It is a few hundred yards from Grand Central and I just liked Park Avenue.

Today was .... what a surprise .... cold beef! And some of my pickles.

6a262d3eab20688a987e0b38dc0b652d.jpg

604db70aa40b9a7438b16c8bd60a4694.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Boxing Day Greetings from a cold but sunny Wales.....hope everyone had a good Christmas Day...all the food looks delicious....especially Jeff 's beef...mouthwatering!

I did a 'Home Alone' day and thoroughly enjoyed not having to run around like a scalded cat with the pressure and stress of catering....my choice entirely and a good one....I'd insisted the kids go south to the in laws due to the father being terminally ill, although I had been invited l couldn't face the long journey down after the long flight home....I'd also politely declined three invites to join friends....to be sure they must think me a miserable old sod 😉

So...four paws and l enjoyed a lovely turkey dinner and will have the same today.....after the Moet!

On Christmas Eve l managed to bag my flights for next year to NY and Barbados at a bargain fare so thats my Christmas present to myself!

Over the next few months I'll be asking for suggestions for a NYC hotel as I'm flying in for a couple of days before boarding the Spirit....I've looked at the Pierre and the Mark but reviews are not good...Plaza and Waldorf l fear may be too touristy....so any ideas will be most welcome along with a good Limo company whom l can use durIng my stay for wherever l want to go......can you tell l love planning ahead!!

Happy Day

:)

Hi, Miss Sophia,

We like to stay at the Surrey Hotel, which is not at all touristy and has a wonderful restaurant (Cafe Boulud) and bar downstairs.

Karen

Christmas greetings, MissS.!

I just want to second JP's motion that you avoid driving a car at all possible. Once settled in, the subway or taxis can get you everywhere. Also, the parking garages are not always available where you need them, and they cost what a 3* hotel would cost per night.

Can't recommend hotels for a leisurely stay...we need to stay in mid-town close to either Carnegie Hall or Lincoln Center and these are more functional than elegant (Omni Park Central and The Empire)

We both went in to work for a few hours this morning. The roads were terrible. It snowed a bunch overnight and we awoke to this... Pretty for Christmas, but they had done a terrible job plowing. Lucky for Audi Quattro and good snow tires. Later in the day, we had sunshine and this was the view from the sun room just before dinner. Gorgeous! We even went out for a walk. Hope everyone had a nice Christmas! Back at it tomorrow, but off for New Year's. It's all a trade-off.

Appreciate J.P.'s wonderfully snowy Albany pictures and the other details. Just back last night from Kansas. Long drive, including battling some light snow flakes in Kansas and Missouri. BUT, fortunately, not too heavy, nor having the roads in bad conditions. Just slowed us down a little. Nice and sunny now in Central Ohio. BUT, very, very cold!!! Looks good with about an inch of snow on the ground.

Our Vietnam visas are done and back. BUT, had UPS hold off delivery till we returned. Will pick up today. To get those needed visas, had to send our U.S. Passports. Those are important!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 191,329 views for this posting.

Warm and sunny here.

I am still recovering from the marathon banquet.

The most amazing was the crown roast of pork, kurobuta pork, I ordered it from a ranch in Idaho. Marinated for over 24 hours in gin and garlic with fresh herbs, then slathered it with fig preserves I made and cooked over indirect heat on the grill with hickory wood. It was insane!

Tender, aromatic and yum.

To go with I served twice baked potatoes.

Appetizers were served an hour and a half before, they consisted of crab cakes with remoulade sauce, mini hot dogs, turkey scallion meatballs with bourbon sauce, and macaroni and cheese bites ( made in the air fryer).

Dessert was maple Apple tarte tatin with a reduced apple cider sauce infused with cinnamon and orange peel.

Spinnaker, you are a genius! Reading your post made me wonder why you are not enjoying a chef's career. That pork, the fragrant marinade and the slathering of home made figs preserve must have been to die for!! Reminds me of my mother, who would use plums instead of figs, but never with the exquisite touches you have given the animal. Oh, wow!

I used to have one, like some six years ago, when they were first introduced. It was called Rumba, but it never wanted to dance to my tune. It had a mind of its own, would bump into furniture, and needed hand-held guidance. I quickly gave it away. Now my sister in law has one called Petra, and she swears by it. As all things tech, I'm sure the new models are much more functional. Have fun!!

Good Morning All,

Gosh Spins that is extremely imaginitive and avant garde ... it is a real shame you won't lower yourself to our standards and take and upload piccies for us to share. That would certainly make us all be even more salivacious like JP's Pavlova! ;)

I mentioned it a couple of days ago .... but with all this food talk I do recommend coolers take a look at Babettes Feast which really did remind me of Spin's inventiveness. It is sublime and certainly worth the rental if you cannot get it free ...... :)

Greetings Coolers! The dreaded Polar Vortex has descended. This morning it is -10 F (-23 C). I will not be leaving the house until temps improve.

The Cooler bar was rocking over the Christmas holiday! I could hear the merriment from daughter's place. The food pics and descriptions were incredible! Sorry about the corked wine though!

Have a great day all!

Hello All.......

Spins, that food sounds so delicious....wish l had the energy to entertain again, used to love it.

TTS...you know we always come to a dead halt with just a sprinkling of the white stuff! DD's inlaws were snowed in yesterday so couldn't get to their hospital appointment....all we had up here was some nasty sleet and a good old frost this morning....glad Terry got home safe and M also.

Thanks so much for all the NY hotel ideas.....I'm still deciding but have plenty of time until next November!

May will be my first cruise of the year next....in the meantime we start work on the refurb of the annex.....need to get my head around what to do first with that project as so much stuff to sort and throw out!

What have Coolers got planned for NYE.....I'm out for lunch that day and plan to retire early as I'm not keen, goes back a long way when the parents were in the entertainment business and l had to work making sure others had a good time whilst trying to avoid the lecherous beings who thought it a good excuse to grab one.....nuff said 🙄

Happy Day 😊