NCL Gem 2017-11-11 Cancelled

bronzey214

I decided to delete my post because I didn't want to subject myself to flaming, and who knows how my post could be taken by someone.

Letsgo, looks like you saw it before I deleted it. And by no means is your response derogatory, so please don't take it that way.

As for your question. My wife and I have been married only 6 years. Her "no flying ever" personal stance does not apply to me. I have flown for both personal and business. This is something we have discussed. Obviously if there was a medical emergency involving her, she would have no say, and be med-evacted off the ship. If one happened to me, I would like to think she loves me enough to come, but who knows lol.

Any other emergency back home, I would fly, she would cruise back. But luckily (knock on wood), over a dozen cruises and none of this has come up.

That being said...all of the above would be personal problems/decisions made by us to fly, and we would obviously assume all costs and make all arrangements.

If someone is on a cruise ship. And does not fly for whatever reason they might have. And the cruise ship breaks down. Can NCL force them to fly home, or say figure it out on your own? They are on a ship to avoid an airplane.

Hypothetical questions I guess. But just curious since like I said in my deleted post...we strictly cruise from NY, since we live here and no flying involved. And have been on the Gem 4-5 times. So wondering what would have happened with us.

No worries, I didn’t take it that way,,,, I hate flying too, but so it if need be.... but that why we like cruising out of NYC.... .I totally understand your concerns, and it’s always good to have a back up plan..... hopefully you will never have to worry about anything like that. Keep enjoying your cruises

Marion

They started getting the people off the 31st cruise this morning one friend left at 3am the other at 6:30 too many people to get out in one day. I gather they started informing people about their flights about 6pm

Yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be shocked. Be thankful. Just got off of it. What a nightmare. No one knew what was going on. No help at all. All we heard was " call miami office". All managers had miraculous disappeared leaving the people at the front desk with the alot of really angry guests. Within the first couple of days on the ship the issue started with the azipod. They didnt tell us right away. Took days. The ship was running slowly. They said No way itll make it to new york. The arranged flights, which i cant fly. We lost a day and half of our vacation. They told us on thursdays (yesterday) at 5pm to have our bags to have our bags packed and outside by 10pm. We were booked on the boat til Saturday. Coming home they booked us a flight from Barbados to Newark. This reroute has been a long trying 17hours to Newark. Still not done

We aren't even close to half way to our to our final destination. NEVER AGAIN WITH NORWEGIAN!!!!

canceled 11/11 cruise is 10days long.

2 days to get to miami from barbados. 5 days dry dock. 1 day from miami to ny.

so 2 days to spare.

they're in barbados on 11/11 to let passengers off to fly them back to ny via charter planes.

but i highly doubt they'll be able to fly all 2000+ passengers in 1 day. thats 7 planes.

who the heck has 7 excess planes along with 7 pilots/crew on standby waiting to go in a few days notice? (that isnt military, that is.)

does that mean the gem will be the hotel for those that cant get a seat on a plane on 11/11?

so maybe leave for miami on 11/12. thats 1 spare day used up...

Not sure how many passengers exactly but they got 2,000 of us out of freeport in one day after the RCCL Grand fire. It was a LONG day.

I hate to add this bit of bad news...but Newark airport today and still..has extensive delays..due to windy weather....:(

i am surprised they chartered the flights to newark instead of jfk.

logistically, i would assume jfk would have been much better for the majority of passengers

Don't be shocked. Be thankful. Just got off of it. What a nightmare. No one knew what was going on. No help at all. All we heard was " call miami office". All managers had miraculous disappeared leaving the people at the front desk with the alot of really angry guests. Within the first couple of days on the ship the issue started with the azipod. They didnt tell us right away. Took days. The ship was running slowly. They said No way itll make it to new york. The arranged flights, which i cant fly. We lost a day and half of our vacation. They told us on thursdays (yesterday) at 5pm to have our bags to have our bags packed and outside by 10pm. We were booked on the boat til Saturday. Coming home they booked us a flight from Barbados to Newark. This reroute has been a long trying 17hours to Newark. Still not done

We aren't even close to half way to our to our final destination. NEVER AGAIN WITH NORWEGIAN!!!!

I'm not even on this cruise and I am disappointed in NCL. Good management would have made sure that they had managers and NCL personnel helping the passengers every step of the way. I hope you get home soon.

If a pax absolutely refuses to or can't fly then ncl simply lets them stay on the ship from Barbados to Miami where at least they could try to arrange ground transport home

Ok..go...tell me why this won't work?

Am I misinformed? Isn't the ship going to Miami for the repair? Or is it being done in Barbados?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not even on this cruise and I am disappointed in NCL. Good management would have made sure that they had managers and NCL personnel helping the passengers every step of the way. I hope you get home soon.
(y)[emoji106] Edited by *Luv2Cruz*

If a pax absolutely refuses to or can't fly then ncl simply lets them stay on the ship from Barbados to Miami where at least they could try to arrange ground transport home

Am I misinformed? Isn't the ship going to Miami for the repair? Or is it being done in Barbados?

Repairs being done in Barbados. Moving guests to motel during repairs, then re-boarding Gem for transport back to NYC.

Repairs being done in Barbados. Moving guests to motel during repairs, then re-boarding Gem for transport back to NYC.

Is this even an option being offered? What if repairs are extensive and delayed back to NYC? Who's paying for the hotel etc as the passenger will be getting a bonus 2 day cruise home .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Edited by esm54687

Is this even an option being offered?

Also, a recent news article mentioned it was a 25% cruise credit not the 50%..... anyone on the ship have the definitive answer?

http://abc7ny.com/travel/norwegian-gem-passengers-stranded-in-newark/2630677/

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Guest on the 10/31 cruise were given 25% future cruise credit. Guests on the cancelled 11/11 cruise are getting 50% future credit.

And yes, those not flying home are going to hotel, then re-boarding after repairs. This was not announced until 9pm last night and most were already on their way home.

Guest on the 10/31 cruise were given 25% future cruise credit. Guests on the cancelled 11/11 cruise are getting 50% future credit.

And yes, those not flying home are going to hotel, then re-boarding after repairs. This was not announced until 9pm last night and most were already on their way home.

Well that a viable option for the probably very small number of pax who would not or could not fly home

Ncl has no choice but to accommodate them in this way

One must assume ncl is footing the entire bill for the land portion.

I would hate to think of what kind of accommodation those pax will get on land or how uncomfortable those days waiting around will be for them

The cruise back won't be a pleasure either I'm sure with perhaps a handful of pax and the crew

I fly so no issues here and I cruise out of NYC for convenience when it fits my needs but honestly for people that can't or won't EVER fly taking a cruise and expecting to not need to fly may not always be the case

Although this situation is rare we now know it could happen

Yes you are misinformed, the ship is staying in Barbados and arrangements have been made for passengers who can’t fly

Any update on how things turned out for the ppl on the 10/31 cruise and what's going on now with the Gem repairs?

Gem repairs begin tomorrow and are expected to be completed by Friday. Gem plans to be back in NYC for 11/21 cruise.

I just read yesterday online that they were flying some to Newark, NJ, but some were looking for a hotel where they were (I don't remember which port they mentioned). I was just looking online at the cruise for this weekend before it all happened, as we live in NYS, and last minute prices were very low. Good thing I didn't book it!!

I was also on the cruise. We are in our early 30's and can agree that communication on this trip was a disaster. We were Haven guests and I don't think we got what we paid for.

The compensation is a complete joke and I am not looking for a full refund but to have to sail again with NCL to receive my compensation for a short cruise because of their boat is redicuous. That said we made the best out of the days we did have.

Please keep in mind probably more than 90% of this cruise was retirees and they all need 'special care', think it's impossible to cater to them all.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a written confirmation on what compensation was offered for people due to sail on 11/11/2017 broken down NCL GEM ???

You can call NCL and they will tell you exactly what you will be compensated towards another cruise. We were supposed to be on this sailing and it cancelled 4 days before we were supposed to leave.

We have since rescheduled for a New Years cruise and applied those credit to our new cruise.

They will quote you a per person credit towards the new cruise.