NCL Gem 2017-11-11 Cancelled

bronzey214

Are you saying that you only get half your money back? If that´s correct I really agree with you that it´s too little. I thought that you got everything back + 50 % as a credit for a future cruise.

You are correct, they get a full refund for what they paid for the cruise and then in addition, they get 50% of the price of that cruise back in a cruise credit.

All guests booked on this sailing will receive a full refund, plus a 50% future cruise credit of their cruise fare paid.

Are you saying that you only get half your money back? If that´s correct I really agree with you that it´s too little. I thought that you got everything back + 50 % as a credit for a future cruise.

One vacation a year together can be great even if you can't go on the planned cruise.

I never said that you don´t have reasons to be disappointed that your cruise is cancelled but I still think that compared to people who has to travel long to get to the cruise your problems are smaller.

If the cruise had been from Stockholm instead of from New York, your problems should have been bigger than mine.

I´m sorry for you but you haven´t booked any airline tickets and probably not a hotelroom either so it could have been worse.

I think he knows what was offered: he just chooses to look at it in a different. You are correct: all cruise fare returned plus 50% off next cruise based on what he paid for the cruise he is missing. He is just vetting cause things did not work out the way he expected they would. Let's hope he calums down and can enjoy whatever he decides to do with his vacation time.

I think he knows what was offered: he just chooses to look at it in a different. You are correct: all cruise fare returned plus 50% off next cruise based on what he paid for the cruise he is missing. He is just vetting cause things did not work out the way he expected they would. Let's hope he calums down and can enjoy whatever he decides to do with his vacation time.

I'm all set. It took a morning but they were able to fix it and give only what was offered in the letter. That being said, it's a 7 day cruise now for $300 more than the 10 day was and it's going to Orlando and Nassau (................). It's pretty annoying to plan everything down to minute detail (deck plans/dining/excursions/itineraries/activities/work arrangements/sundries & supplies/travel arrangements/etc.) over the course of 9 months only to have this happen. I guess that's life, but some people value vacation a lot more than others especially if they never get the chance to take them because work life is busy. I'm not sure why cruise companies get to mess with their customers and the reaction is : "Oh well. Suck it up. We should be so lucky to get a 1/2 off credit for messing up a 10 day vacation planned well in advance. Won't somebody think of the millions NCL will lose!? :loudcry:" Maybe that's why cruise companies behave the way that they do because they're never fully held to account for pretty much anything (norovirus cruises/cancellations/flight cancellations/etc./etc.). I think it's unfortunate that some people see it as high maintenance to simply get what you paid for. Most hospitality industries do not work like this, have MUCH smaller profit margins than cruises and would be ashamed to disrupt 1 guest's vacation, let alone that of 2,000+ guests.

I'm all set. It took a morning but they were able to fix it and give only what was offered in the letter. That being said, it's a 7 day cruise now for $300 more than the 10 day was and it's going to Orlando and Nassau (................). It's pretty annoying to plan everything down to minute detail (deck plans/dining/excursions/itineraries/activities/work arrangements/sundries & supplies/travel arrangements/etc.) over the course of 9 months only to have this happen. I guess that's life, but some people value vacation a lot more than others especially if they never get the chance to take them because work life is busy. I'm not sure why cruise companies get to mess with their customers and the reaction is : "Oh well. Suck it up. We should be so lucky to get a 1/2 off credit for messing up a 10 day vacation planned well in advance. Won't somebody think of the millions NCL will lose!? :loudcry:" Maybe that's why cruise companies behave the way that they do because they're never fully held to account for pretty much anything (norovirus cruises/cancellations/flight cancellations/etc./etc.). I think it's unfortunate that some people see it as high maintenance to simply get what you paid for. Most hospitality industries do not work like this, have MUCH smaller profit margins than cruises and would be ashamed to disrupt 1 guest's vacation, let alone that of 2,000+ guests.

cruise lines work on a very small profit margin, what makes you think smaller than the hospitality industry. BTW, I am retired from the Hospitality industry, then from the travel industry. Cruise lines do not try to mess with anyone or thing. When mechanical problems, weather, etc plays a part in plans they do the best they can. There is nothing more that can be said. Enjoy your vacation. All will be fine.

I think it's unfortunate that some people see it as high maintenance to simply get what you paid for.

The reality is that some people think your reaction is inappropriate because it's not their money or vacation. ;) It is sooo easy for people to have an opinion on the way you should react to something that hasn't happened to THEM. When they are in the same position, let's see how "go with the flow" they are LOL

I totally get you. I also work in a job where it takes much planning and coordination to get relaxing time off (where I am not on my cell phone the entire vacation.) I would be disappointed and annoyed, too - even if I had insurance and everything was covered plus. It's just a bummer, and your reaction is totally understandable.

I'm sailing (hopefully LOL) on the Gem on the 21st. I will survive if the cruise is cancelled, but I really hope that if they DO have to cancel that we hear about it sooner than later. It's Thanksgiving week and my last-minute travel options will be limited if I have to make other plans.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that some of us do get it! :)

Well said.

That said, you'll often find little sympathy on this board, between the staff accounts and the others who say you should just be grateful your ship didn't leave out of Stockholm or wherever. The Internet is a cold place.

I hope you are able to make the most out of your vacation, and are able to put the stress behind you. We go away on vacations to get away from stress, and you didn't sign up for this.

I hope, if this ever happens to me, I can handle it with as much grace as you have.

I'm guessing is more Mechanical than any type of software issue. Azipod propulsion is wonderful, however in large and small ships and boats it can also be a nightmare. Its much more complicated and has many more moving parts compared to a straight shaft.

My guess is mechanical too but the press release used "Technical" which I'm guessing in marketing parlance is "better" than "Mechanical".

The other thing I was wondering about, hasn't Gem been pretty much azipod problem free during its life?

Feel for everyone on the cancelled cruise!

I was on the star when she broke down in February outside Melbourne. We have got everything sorted from that. It's the Auckland to Singapore part that still isn't sorted.

When we started our cruise in Sydney we were told: 50% future cruise credit plus $500 onboard credit for Sydney to Auckland and 25% future cruise credit and $500 onboard credit for Auckland to Singapore.

Still waiting on our 25%.

I've also heard people on the cruises affected by the hurricanes are still waiting as well....

Feel for everyone on the cancelled cruise!

I was on the star when she broke down in February outside Melbourne. We have got everything sorted from that. It's the Auckland to Singapore part that still isn't sorted.

When we started our cruise in Sydney we were told: 50% future cruise credit plus $500 onboard credit for Sydney to Auckland and 25% future cruise credit and $500 onboard credit for Auckland to Singapore.

Still waiting on our 25%.

I've also heard people on the cruises affected by the hurricanes are still waiting as well....

I've never received a future cruise credit, but always though that when you make your reservation they take it off the price. Is there a certificate or something on paper that you get?

The reality is that some people think your reaction is inappropriate because it's not their money or vacation. ;) It is sooo easy for people to have an opinion on the way you should react to something that hasn't happened to THEM. When they are in the same position, let's see how "go with the flow" they are LOL

I totally get you. I also work in a job where it takes much planning and coordination to get relaxing time off (where I am not on my cell phone the entire vacation.) I would be disappointed and annoyed, too - even if I had insurance and everything was covered plus. It's just a bummer, and your reaction is totally understandable.

I'm sailing (hopefully LOL) on the Gem on the 21st. I will survive if the cruise is cancelled, but I really hope that if they DO have to cancel that we hear about it sooner than later. It's Thanksgiving week and my last-minute travel options will be limited if I have to make other plans.

Anyway, just wanted you to know that some of us do get it! :)

We are sailing on the gem (HOPEFULLY) on the 21st as well. I am beyond anxious about the whole situation. I understand things happen but when you plan for a vacation for most of the year and it's now less than 2 weeks away, you cringe at the thought of all the work you put into the researching, planning, booking, etc, only for it to be canceled at the very last minute. If they are going to cancel, I'd rather hear now than a few days before because I won't be able to change anything at that point, my time off will be irreversible and plane fare will be non-existent or super-expensive because of the holiday that week. I've already started looking for alternatives and there really aren't any comparable cruises for that same time period (anywhere), let alone ones that still have decent rooms left. I've also been researching how long it typically takes to fix these azipod issues. It's my understanding that the Allure of the Seas fixed their issue in 5 days so maybe there is still hope for the cruise set for Nov. 21st. Fingers crossed!!!!! Hope to see you on the 21st! ;p

I've never received a future cruise credit, but always though that when you make your reservation they take it off the price. Is there a certificate or something on paper that you get?

it goes into your attitudes account so when they pull uo your number it shows up. So if a family is cruising each person will get the credit for what each person paid individually into their attitudes account

it goes into your attitudes account so when they pull uo your number it shows up. So if a family is cruising each person will get the credit for what each person paid individually into their attitudes account
Thanks, when the poster said they were still waiting, I got confused.

I hope you will still be able to enjoy your vacation, and don’t let this ruin the cruise you are going on now.

Marion

My guess is mechanical too but the press release used "Technical" which I'm guessing in marketing parlance is "better" than "Mechanical".

The other thing I was wondering about, hasn't Gem been pretty much azipod problem free during its life?

No....as I posted earlier....we had an altered cruise...I believe it was May 2016...azipod issue--while in Bahamas there was .. repair/replace work......we watched the divers working...

I've already started looking for alternatives and there really aren't any comparable cruises for that same time period (anywhere), let alone ones that still have decent rooms left. I've also been researching how long it typically takes to fix these azipod issues. It's my understanding that the Allure of the Seas fixed their issue in 5 days so maybe there is still hope for the cruise set for Nov. 21st. Fingers crossed!!!!! Hope to see you on the 21st! ;p

5 days in the field (ie: foreign port) or 5days in a repair facility?

anyone know how did ncl finally fix the Star's long running azipod problem?

Thanks for kudos.....however, I don't fly and not sure how I'm going to get back to NYC...extended cruise???? Hope they extend my internet and drink package!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please let us know how they get you home. My Dad hated to fly. For the last 40+ years of his life he flew 3 times. No way he would have gotten on a plane without being properly medicated beforehand.

Always makes me laugh when people worry about a corporations well being.

Try to have a good time. There are some fun bars along the water a short cab ride from Port Canaveral.

Please let us know how they get you home. My Dad hated to fly. For the last 40+ years of his life he flew 3 times. No way he would have gotten on a plane without being properly medicated beforehand.

Always makes me laugh when people worry about a corporations well being.

Try to have a good time. There are some fun bars along the water a short cab ride from Port Canaveral.

As an example, I was on the RCCL Grandeur cruise that caught on fire. We went to Freeport and for those people that refused to fly they "ferried' them to Miami and then put them on Amtrak.

Just wondering - and this goes only to those that think NCL should do something different.

Cruise cancelled for mechanical reasons.

What should the refund policy be?

I think full refund plus existing perks & pricing should be transferable to another sailing. And maybe some onboard credit for the inconvenience, but not even necessary. The primary thing for me would be transferring/honoring perks and pricing.

We are sailing on the gem (HOPEFULLY) on the 21st as well. I am beyond anxious about the whole situation. I understand things happen but when you plan for a vacation for most of the year and it's now less than 2 weeks away, you cringe at the thought of all the work you put into the researching, planning, booking, etc, only for it to be canceled at the very last minute. If they are going to cancel, I'd rather hear now than a few days before because I won't be able to change anything at that point, my time off will be irreversible and plane fare will be non-existent or super-expensive because of the holiday that week. I've already started looking for alternatives and there really aren't any comparable cruises for that same time period (anywhere), let alone ones that still have decent rooms left. I've also been researching how long it typically takes to fix these azipod issues. It's my understanding that the Allure of the Seas fixed their issue in 5 days so maybe there is still hope for the cruise set for Nov. 21st. Fingers crossed!!!!! Hope to see you on the 21st! ;p

Back at you! :D Hopefully two weeks from today we'll be on the high seas laughing at how we worried for nothing! :cool: