NCL Gem 2017-11-11 Cancelled

bronzey214

Onboard the Gem now after a gorgeous day in Barbados! Heading towards our next

Port of call which is Martinique. We have an extended day tomorrow and hope to enjoy every moment of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Enjoy your day!

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time and booked this 11-day timeshare presentation with food, taking 7 days off of work in the process each. I've staffed, delegated and prepared all of my employees for all contingencies/issues and my wife has done the same. The only options now after they told us 5 days before the cruise is one 9 day leaving out of New Orleans which has flights totaling around $2,500+ total and we'd still have to do hotels and connections in order to make it work (there's a Hawaii one but I don't even want to think about the costs for that one). It just seems to me like they should offer more like additional airline credit so we can take another vacation to make up for the one we planned many months ago. That pathetic sales presentation in the end of the "sorry, not sorry" note really pissed me off, too. They should just be giving the "free at sea" over this. I also noticed they sent the notice out at 5PM right when Guest Services (the people who issue the 50% off) closes and don't think that was by accident at all.

Since it´s a technical problem I think that it´s a fair compensation. If they had decided to let someone charter the ship on short notice they should offer more, I think.

You live in New York so for you it´s not as bad as it is for people who travel far to get to the cruise.

honestly, this is a good thing. when the Star had their issues, they should have canceled a week's sailing and fixed the problem, instead they had several weeks worth of cruisers plagued with repeated problems due to band aid fixing. clearly NCL learned their lesson.

I was also supposed to be on this cruise ....All I can do is rebook ...and that is what we are planning on doing .... just have to take the good with the bad ....We've also been planning this since February ...but like was said ...need to make sure the Ship is repaired for future sailings, and that is what I heard is happening in Martinique today .

Sorry for everyone who had planned to sail the Gem on this cruise. Reading what you are getting back from NCL personally I think its pretty good. I understand that some of you are locked into your vacation times and can't change them. Sucks for everyone involved.

My heart really goes out to everyone, I know how I would feel, the compensation from NCL really is a pretty good.They have a new promotion starting today and it looks like a pretty good one, so hopefully you can all book with that promotion. Good Luck to everyone and I hope that somehow you will still be able to enjoy your vacation. I believe this new promotion will run until Friday.

Marion

Oh my goodness, how upsetting! I feel for all of you being affected by this. I know I would be devastated and beyond frustrated. I hope all of you are able to figure out a solution that makes you happy. So sorry to hear this!

This must have been a late in the day decision by NCL as I booked a client currently on the oct 31 cruise on this one about 2 pm yesterday I wonder if they have announced to the passengers on the current cruise that this cruise has been cancelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This must have been a late in the day decision by NCL as I booked a client currently on the oct 31 cruise on this one about 2 pm yesterday I wonder if they have announced to the passengers on the current cruise that this cruise has been cancelled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am onboard. We were told that some technical difficulty delayed our departure from Barbados yesterday and that our stop today would be extended four hours.

I know we would be totally disappointed as well. Especially because we are like you and get to really book one vacation per year. Is the compensation fair - hard to really say unless you are put into that position. The airfare credit stinks a little bit but because we are in the upper Midwest no flight is ever under $400pp. The rest of the booking offer seems within line but to be getting ready for a cruise for almost a year and then hear it is cancelled a week before would crush us. Looking to book other options maybe would work but like you pointed flight prices at the last minute are crazy in price or all booked.

I'm on the BA this Sunday. This morning there were lots of cabins available; I just checked and it seems to be completely sold out.

I called NCL to rearrange to take the breakaway for this Sunday and the only thing they had was the gty balcony. You lose out of all the perks, like the UBP and specialty dining with the gty. The UBP is another $1,500 for the week plus gratuity at 18% and the special dining. May have to plan for a different week. This was my 50th birthday cruise. So I'm pretty bummed out.

Does anyone else feel like a full refund, 50% off a future cruise (base fare only and not including any admin fees etc. , I'm sure) and a $300.00 airline credit p/p (if you booked airfare) simply isn't enough? My wife and I get one vacation per year where we can go at the same time and booked this 11-day timeshare presentation with food, taking 7 days off of work in the process each. I've staffed, delegated and prepared all of my employees for all contingencies/issues and my wife has done the same. The only options now after they told us 5 days before the cruise is one 9 day leaving out of New Orleans which has flights totaling around $2,500+ total and we'd still have to do hotels and connections in order to make it work (there's a Hawaii one but I don't even want to think about the costs for that one). It just seems to me like they should offer more like additional airline credit so we can take another vacation to make up for the one we planned many months ago. That pathetic sales presentation in the end of the "sorry, not sorry" note really pissed me off, too. They should just be giving the "free at sea" over this. I also noticed they sent the notice out at 5PM right when Guest Services (the people who issue the 50% off) closes and don't think that was by accident at all.

Completely concur.

They've blown up a lot odf people's vacations.

The 50%-off credit doesn't cost them anything.

They should fly you to another ship with rooms--not necessarily NCL. Maybe another brand in the NCLH family.

I know we would be totally disappointed as well. Especially because we are like you and get to really book one vacation per year. Is the compensation fair - hard to really say unless you are put into that position. The airfare credit stinks a little bit but because we are in the upper Midwest no flight is ever under $400pp. The rest of the booking offer seems within line but to be getting ready for a cruise for almost a year and then hear it is cancelled a week before would crush us. Looking to book other options maybe would work but like you pointed flight prices at the last minute are crazy in price or all booked.

I agree, airfare cost us $440 pp 3 weeks ago to fly to NYC.

I called NCL to rearrange to take the breakaway for this Sunday and the only thing they had was the gty balcony. You lose out of all the perks, like the UBP and specialty dining with the gty. The UBP is another $1,500 for the week plus gratuity at 18% and the special dining. May have to plan for a different week. This was my 50th birthday cruise. So I'm pretty bummed out.

They wouldn't give you the same perks you had on the Gem?!?!??! That's horrible by them and would really tick me off.

I'm sorry for you.

And PO'd. That was the part of the "offer" that ticked me off. IMHO, since NCL cancelled the cruise, they should guarantee your perks, not treat you as a new booking.

Does that mean that if it's not possible to change the tickets they don't compensate at all for the lost tickets?
You would have to call NCL to ask this question. I've never heard of an airline that won't let you change a ticket for a fee. What airline, so I never fly on it?