Death reported on epic Oct 29th sailing.....

woozles

There was certainly a serious incident in the hot tub - they sealed it off and had a whole host of crew working around. It wasn't just contamination or something like that. However, I was up there pretty soon after they called the response team to it and I didn't see anything like a body.

Maniacal cruiser - yes, it was very much about her. She did mention the family did not speak English. I would expect more non-English speakers on a med cruise and find it hard to imagine ncl did not find a way to communicate.

On November 2 at approximately 2:00 pm local time while the ship was in port in Livorno, Italy, Norwegian Epic’s medical team responded to an emergency call from the ship’s Jacuzzi area after a 78-year-old female guest was reported unresponsive. The emergency team immediately began administering life-saving techniques. After extensive efforts, the guest could not be revived. The company extends our deepest sympathies to the guest’s family during this difficult time and our dedicated CARE team is providing full assistance and support.

Norwegian Epic’s onboard team is continuing to work with the appropriate local authorities on their investigation.

Maniacal cruiser - yes, it was very much about her. She did mention the family did not speak English. I would expect more non-English speakers on a med cruise and find it hard to imagine ncl did not find a way to communicate.
The lady on Facebook needs to let the family deal with their issues and stay out of their business.

On November 2 at approximately 2:00 pm local time while the ship was in port in Livorno, Italy, Norwegian Epic’s medical team responded to an emergency call from the ship’s Jacuzzi area after a 78-year-old female guest was reported unresponsive. The emergency team immediately began administering life-saving techniques. After extensive efforts, the guest could not be revived. The company extends our deepest sympathies to the guest’s family during this difficult time and our dedicated CARE team is providing full assistance and support.

Norwegian Epic’s onboard team is continuing to work with the appropriate local authorities on their investigation.

thanks NCL I was there that day and I have thought about this lady everyday since . I do find it disturbing that people like to dramatise situations when they don'

Know the truth . Have some respect !!!!

The original poster on fb was the outraged one. She felt ncl response was poor. She was upset they did not check on HER well-being after the fact. She was upset she couldn't speak to the family. She wanted to remove the dsc. She was upset they sent her a firm letter. Upset they had no lifeguard at the hot tub.....

Thanks NCL for clarifying this for us.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of the woman that died.

In my experience, NCL has always been very good at dealing with families etc. when there is any type of this situation.

Bravo. :)

I was on that cruise. I think NCL handled it very well because this is the first I have heard of it. Of course I am sad that someone died on the same ship as I was on (not the first time) but I did not need to know.

I am not sure about the family not speaking English because that is the only language used in any announcements so all of the passengers must have had access to English-speaking translators.

• 4 weeks later...
Someone posted to ncl's Facebook page about discovering a women dead in a hottub. She was unhappy with staff behavior.

Something in her post feels off.

Anyone on that sailing to confirm?

I was on the cruise and only feel it right to reply to the comments myself and a man pulled the lady out

of the hot tub not the staff and then with my shouts another man came to help us he began CPR again

not the other staff this was a very distressing situation and still causing flash backs I don't want to make

to many comments as I don't want to cause distress to the family but the staff were appalling in the way

they handled the situation and had no compassion for the situation I can only hope the family got better

treatment when we pulled her from the water it was evident she had been there a long while and it was

to late even though we tried there had been no patrols on deck I don't want to go into the time limit which

was shown on the CCTV we had a meeting with the captain and various staff who confirmed that this was

the case and if it hadent been for a lady shouting from the top deck to me to which I responded no one

had seen her NCL dealt very badly with the situation and the time scale for there arrival was well beyond

what they have said we asked at the meeting that more patrols where needed to ensure it didn't happen

again but from the feedback from Customer Service I feel no lessons have been learnt it has a effect

on the family but also the rest of us caught up in the incident and they have showed no care towards us

I expected more from them and was told to leave are emails so we could be kept informed of the events

to date we have received no feedback about the improvements

Elderlies should not use the hot-tub for an extended period of time. It decreases blood pressure and could lead to a heart attack. There was a post not long ago whining about how her 80+ yr old vacation being ruined because of broken hot-tub.

Death happens and people on Facebook are being too dramatic.

Ok, I know I am being naïve here, but my response to this thread is "Wow, I didn't know NCL had an official CC account!" So is it someone's job at NCL headquarters to monitor all the chatter that goes on here everyday? That job must SUCK!!!

I was on the cruise and only feel it right to reply to the comments myself and a man pulled the lady out

of the hot tub not the staff and then with my shouts another man came to help us he began CPR again

not the other staff this was a very distressing situation and still causing flash backs I don't want to make

to many comments as I don't want to cause distress to the family but the staff were appalling in the way

they handled the situation and had no compassion for the situation I can only hope the family got better

treatment when we pulled her from the water it was evident she had been there a long while and it was

to late even though we tried there had been no patrols on deck I don't want to go into the time limit which

was shown on the CCTV we had a meeting with the captain and various staff who confirmed that this was

the case and if it hadent been for a lady shouting from the top deck to me to which I responded no one

had seen her NCL dealt very badly with the situation and the time scale for there arrival was well beyond

what they have said we asked at the meeting that more patrols where needed to ensure it didn't happen

again but from the feedback from Customer Service I feel no lessons have been learnt it has a effect

on the family but also the rest of us caught up in the incident and they have showed no care towards us

I expected more from them and was told to leave are emails so we could be kept informed of the events

Bless you for being a good person and having tried to revive for the families sake.

Ok, I know I am being naïve here, but my response to this thread is "Wow, I didn't know NCL had an official CC account!" So is it someone's job at NCL headquarters to monitor all the chatter that goes on here everyday? That job must SUCK!!!

Yes, I knew that. Not sure if it's someone's official job.

Cruise critic is an important source of information for the Cruise Lines. They want to know how passengers view things.

This was told to me at one of CC's meet & greets by a staff member.

Based on rumors onboard my last cruise, 3 people passed away that week. It happens, much more frequently than people realize. We saw one removed in port by stretcher, another ambulance waiting for someone at the next port, and 1 medivac'd off (in addition to the deaths, but just rumors). Very sad, but I don't blame the cruise lines, and it should be all about the victim and their family, no one else.

Yeah...we were on Disney Cruise a few years ago. Heard "Star bright" or "Star light" (don't remember exact words) over intercom. Kids thought something amazing was gonna happen. We were stumped. Long story short, we found out someone had passed. Ship took not so planned docking to "refuel". We (the adults...not kids!) saw them taking passenger off. Heartbreaking. I suppose it happens more often than we know. My heart goes out to all. Not something we really need to talk about here. I really have a hard time when people mention "deaths" and have to bring it up in Subject Line. So much other stuff to discuss. Respect the privacy of the deceased and family. Let it go. JMO

It happens a lot. Ships typically have space to store a couple of bodies. Just look at the demographics. Shoot, if I'm elderly, I wanna die on a cruise ship. Gotta be way better than dying in a nursing home.

I'm glad that Facebook OP tried to help, but from a privacy standpoint, I would hope Norwegian kept info with just the family of the deceased.

Your post is missing a bunch of .

Would you be the same person that posted to facebook?

Your post is missing a bunch of .

Would you be the same person that posted to facebook?

Have YOU read the C.C. Guidelines?

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.