OverSold Cruise?

birdylady

The OP posted a query regarding being called by Royal to CHANGE THEIR CRUISE due to some 'overbooking' NOT simply to change their CABIN because one class of cabin on a ship somehow got overbooked.

I can see how overbooking could happen in a particular class, although that should be rare, but with the advent of guaranty cabin reservations, it would seem possible.

Paulette, in our case it was the ship that was oversold and not a particular category.

Congrats, enjoy your cabin! I sail in 22 days and still waiting on my cabin assignment...

I had just about given up and thought it would not be until a couple of days before...or worse yet...not until sail date.

Then there it was yesterday morning at just two weeks to go. :)

Good luck on your assignment...hope you get the Royal Suite! :D

Paulette, in our case it was the ship that was oversold and not a particular category.

From the example you gave, Royal wasn't asking you to move to another sail date. That is overbooking in my mind. Just like on an airline, when they overbook a flight they may have 175 seats, sold seats to 180 passengers and 5 passengers need to give up their seats (somehow coersed) and take a later flight.

From the example you gave, Royal wasn't asking you to move to another sail date. That is overbooking in my mind. Just like on an airline, when they overbook a flight they may have 175 seats, sold seats to 180 passengers and 5 passengers need to give up their seats (somehow coersed) and take a later flight.

They were asking those with 2 cabins if they would stay in a single cabin in order to free up space to make room for those cabins that they oversold. This was the step they took prior to possibly having to either get people to move to another date or deny boarding to someone.

They were asking those with 2 cabins if they would stay in a single cabin in order to free up space to make room for those cabins that they oversold. This was the step they took prior to possibly having to either get people to move to another date or deny boarding to someone.

Got it.

When airlines ask you to vacate your seat reservation & can not get you to your original destination within a 2 hour new flight then they must pay you $1350 pp .

Don't know what happens when a cruise line over books . Is there any law that cover cruise line over booking ?

Only if they cannot get someone to switch for a lower amount.

Had the inside cabin we picked on NCL Gem first Canada cruise of the season, fully paid about a month precruise we got an email offering us a full refund plus $1,080 credit for a future cruise to be used within a year. At least 4 other people on our ship also took the deal, according to the roll call. We already had another NCL cruise booked 6 months later, so it was an easy choice. Just did the Canada 9 day on Anthem, more expensive but worth the trip.